Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Peeing!

Puzzled

Lairian
Hi all, when we got slimon this past January he was already an adult. He was doing great for a while, but now he seems to only want to poo in his litter box. we clean it frequently. he is the only one who uses the litter box upstairs. But he will pee on the other side of the hall or right beside it... i have caught him pee in the bed once and on a dog bed also... I have tried sprays for deturing but it doesnt seem to help. i can not move his box to the places he pee's as its right in a door way... any help?

Brooke

Banned
Hi Puzzled, quick question, is Slimon neutured?

Walter sprayed when I got him (he was also an adult), but fortunately when I had him fixed, the spraying stopped. I was lucky - I've heard this can be a very difficult habit to break, especially if you have other animals in the house.

Puzzled

Lairian
Yes Slimon is neutered... we have tried changing his litter box more often when there is poo in it. we have tried different litter, removing the liners and lid off the covered box... nothing has seemed to help :(

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hi all, when we got slimon this past January he was already an adult. He was doing great for a while, but now he seems to only want to poo in his litter box. we clean it frequently. he is the only one who uses the litter box upstairs. But he will pee on the other side of the hall or right beside it... i have caught him pee in the bed once and on a dog bed also... I have tried sprays for deturing but it doesnt seem to help. i can not move his box to the places he pee's as its right in a door way... any help?

Neutering may not be the problem. Inappropriate urination can be a sign of urinary, bladder and kidney problems. The most common is a urinary tract infection, I'm surprised you haven't called your veterinarian regarding this problem. They'd have been the first to point you to having an exam and would have recommended a urinalysis. When cats urinate in an area that they're not supposed to, they're trying to get your attention. Many cats, especially those with chronic problems, will blantantly wait until their owners are watching and go right in front of them (some will pee on owners while the sleep, others will wait until the owner is in the bathtub and pee in the sink, etc).

Calling your vet is the next step from here. There's no treating a UTI or other underlying problem without a trip to the vet. A urinalysis is definitely needed, bloodwork would be ideal to make sure there aren't any kidney problems.

Puzzled

Lairian
thanks for the advice, actually, my hubby works in a vet clinic - there is no UTI.
the last few days have been not so bad... but he always sneaks to pee... we notice when he is done cause he "covers it" by scratching the floors...

PitRottMommy

Banned
thanks for the advice, actually, my hubby works in a vet clinic - there is no UTI.
the last few days have been not so bad... but he always sneaks to pee... we notice when he is done cause he "covers it" by scratching the floors...

I assume he's had a urinalysis and bloodwork run then? Where there any abnormalities noted, at all? Any crystals, casts or anything significant from the UA (and it was sent to a lab, correct?)

98% of inappropriate urination comes from health issues. The other 2% can be associated with behavioral issues and stress. Try a Feliway diffuser in the room where your cat frequently has problems and try the spray in areas that he standardly has an accident. If this is merely stress, the feliway should help. If it behavioral, the diagnostics and feliway should be normal and not work (respectively, of course) and then you may seek using oral medications such as amytriptyline or diazepam.

Good luck.

mynakedcat

Lairian
Your cat does not like the litter you are buying. Our cat used to do this. He/She is holding themself until they can't anymore and pee wherever. Try buying Arm & Hammer Cat Litter (NOT THE MULTIPLE CAT FORMULA). Buy the Super Scoop Fresh Formula. That should solve your problem.

Back