Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Picky Eater, Maybe?

Olive807

Lairian
Joined
Jan 8, 2026
Messages
40
Points
29
Hi all,

Hoping someone can give recommendations on food. I recently transitioned my one year-old out of kitten food. We first tried the honest kitchen for a month and a half, she really wasn’t eating it. Two weeks ago I changed to open farm, she does not seem to be taking to that either. As a kitten, she was eating fancy feast and I never had a problem. She’s in good health overall so that’s not the issue, I’m thinking maybe she’s just picky. Does anyone have any helpful hints or recommendations for me to try.

Thank you!
 

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
37,740
Points
673
Yes, it is always tricky when it comes to food. Buying the best quality food you can afford and yet they like can be challenging. Sometimes it is the consistency. Our one girl is not fond of pâté. She likes shreds/chunky style. Is the new food the same style food as what she was eating? @Olive807
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
30,598
Points
653
@Olive807 , I have Mr. Picky Batman who is 16 now. he is a dry food addict and runs in disgust twitching his tail complaining if any wet food, any style, raw, dehydrated etc.
for over 15 yrs I have been feeding Nutrisource cat and kitten food in thee blue and white bag. not sold in big box stores. its small triangle shape kibble.

I get online at only natural pet, hollywood feed. ** the smaller boutique pet stores near me I order from most recently. My crew loves it. Nutrisource it is touted for gut health and palatability. no recalls. you can check out their webdsite.
the company is great if you call and ask questions. they always call back right away too. not sure if there is a sample they can send?

for wet food (except for dry food addict Batman lol) I feed Weruva press your lunch. *it is chicken based just an fyi incase of any allergies.
its like a puree, I mix with a little water and smoosh with a little water. * I like that it is lower sodium than even rx brands when my Tobylove was diagnosed with HCM. I bought a 3 oz can at petsupermarket to try it , think petco etc carries in store too. the crew loved so much I ended up ordering 5 oz cases of 8 on chewy .

over the years on these foods 5 sphynx, a bengal cat and a black dsh cat. no vet visits for any issues skin or poo issues or uti's.

my beloved 20 yr old raven black dsh cat and sphynx also liked proplan urinary focus chicken wet food, it is light chunk light with a little gravy

I feed what works. mine didnt like shreds or chunks.

I know several members in group feed wellness core.

hope you find Ms. Picky Olive a food she loves . agree maybe look for same style , shape of kibble
following for updates, hugs n head smooches.

these are the foods. *note they do have chicken so not sure if Olive has any chicken allergies.
 

Attachments

  • nutrisource.png
    nutrisource.png
    688.8 KB · Views: 3
  • weruva press your lunch.jpg
    weruva press your lunch.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
  • proplan urinary tract health.jpeg
    proplan urinary tract health.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Olive807

Lairian
Joined
Jan 8, 2026
Messages
40
Points
29
Yes, it is always tricky when it comes to food. Buying the best quality food you can afford and yet they like can be challenging. Sometimes it is the consistency. Our one girl is not fond of pâté. She likes shreds/chunky style. Is the new food the same style food as what she was eating? @Olive807
It’s stressful… I just went to the store today to buy tiki cat for her to try and she sniffed it in disgust and walked away. She seems to gravitate towards Pates, so that’s at least one constant and she’s doing well with dry food.
 

Olive807

Lairian
Joined
Jan 8, 2026
Messages
40
Points
29
@Olive807 , I have Mr. Picky Batman who is 16 now. he is a dry food addict and runs in disgust twitching his tail complaining if any wet food, any style, raw, dehydrated etc.
for over 15 yrs I have been feeding Nutrisource cat and kitten food in thee blue and white bag. not sold in big box stores. its small triangle shape kibble.

I get online at only natural pet, hollywood feed. ** the smaller boutique pet stores near me I order from most recently. My crew loves it. Nutrisource it is touted for gut health and palatability. no recalls. you can check out their webdsite.
the company is great if you call and ask questions. they always call back right away too. not sure if there is a sample they can send?

for wet food (except for dry food addict Batman lol) I feed Weruva press your lunch. *it is chicken based just an fyi incase of any allergies.
its like a puree, I mix with a little water and smoosh with a little water. * I like that it is lower sodium than even rx brands when my Tobylove was diagnosed with HCM. I bought a 3 oz can at petsupermarket to try it , think petco etc carries in store too. the crew loved so much I ended up ordering 5 oz cases of 8 on chewy .

over the years on these foods 5 sphynx, a bengal cat and a black dsh cat. no vet visits for any issues skin or poo issues or uti's.

my beloved 20 yr old raven black dsh cat and sphynx also liked proplan urinary focus chicken wet food, it is light chunk light with a little gravy

I feed what works. mine didnt like shreds or chunks.

I know several members in group feed wellness core.

hope you find Ms. Picky Olive a food she loves . agree maybe look for same style , shape of kibble
following for updates, hugs n head smooches.

these are the foods. *note they do have chicken so not sure if Olive has any chicken allergies.
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time out to send your recommendations. I just went to the store today and purchased tiki cat pate because pate is what she tends to gravitate to, I put it in her dish, she sniffed it with disgust and walked away. I am going to for sure try the foods that you recommended. So far she’s been OK with chicken and so far she’s been OK with the dry food that I’ve been giving her. This is very stressful.
 
Back
Top