Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please Explain Cat Shows

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have some questions about showing. I have been to one as a spectator and will again in June. I may be interested in showing my new baby if s/he is worthy. I understand a lot of what goes on but not everything.

I understand that there are different rings, how do you know what rings to go in. Do you automatically go in them based on registration or do you have to register for them individually?

If you go to a show do you ever get all you rings done in one day? Or are you expected to be there for both days?

Your cat has a registered name and a call name. Do you go to the ring when they announce the name of the ring or do they call the cats name? Which name do they use?

How are the cats identified in the ring? I am assuming that the judges arent supposed to "know" which cattery the cat is from. Does that mean you should have someone else to take the cat to the ring incase the judge knows them?

How many shows do you go to per year and how far do you travel to get there? There is only once cat show in my area in June. The rest I would have to travel up to 6 hours for. If I do show how many should I get to in a year?

I realize that a lot of that depends on how many points he gets at each show.

Thanks.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Shows can be fun!

When you register for the show, your cat is assigned a number (which you're given when you get to the show). At the show there will be announcements such as "Ring three is ready for the Russian Blues through the Tonkinese in Championship. That's cats number 75 through 93 to ring three please." So if your cat is number 91, you would need to take it to ring three and place it in the cage with the number 91 on top. So you would need to be listening for your cat's number and what ring they're calling you to.

Dumuzi and Giz in the Ring 1.jpg

After a judge has finished judging the class (Champion, Premiere, or Kitten), they'll call their final - which is their choice of best of the class. It's in the final you'll get the rosettes, so once again you'll be listening for your number when they call their final.

Gizzy b.jpg

Completing the rings in one day depends on if it's a one day show or a two day show. If it's a one day show you'll finish it in that day. If it's two day, then you'd come back the second day. BUT there's also what's called a 6x6 where there are two separate shows - one each day. You can enter just for one day or do both. (6 rings each day = 6x6)

They don't use the cat's name in the ring - it's done by the number, but your cat's registered name is what you register with and goes in the "show catalog". The judge doesn't see the names of the cats or the cattery, but you can still take your cat to the ring.

I've gone to several shows, but I have several in my area. I don't quite go as often since I'm not showing Gizzy anymore, but when I did I'd go up to about 4-5 hours to get to one and was going at least once a month. On a couple of occasions I did go 7-8 hours.

Happy to answer any questions! (Those two pictures are from different shows, so Giz had different numbers.)

Last edited:

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks [MENTION=2573]ZiggyStardust[/MENTION]! I guess the sound system sucked at the show I went to because I never heard the numbers being called.

So if I entered a cat and he was the only one would he win for breed even if he had horrible type or is placement based on marks? As in 1-10 points could only ever be third even if he was the only one? Yes I know my point ranges arent right...lol

Do they wipe the cages out in between? Is there any chance of my cat getting sick? I mean if he rubs the sides they arent going to know to clean that.

What do you do when he is being judged? do you go away and come back when they are done?

What do you do if you have a show shelter and have to go to the bathroom? I would never leave my cat unattended and I dont know anyone to watch him.

Can I bring Mr Vito and put him in the shelter to keep him company?

Is it hard to keep people from touching your cat? Do you worry about them getting sick?

if I show as an alter does that mean he is GC in a different category than a breeder?

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ask to be benched next to someone who has cats that will right before you in the show catalog. At our last show the Devon Rex, Oriental Shorthairs, Siamese, and Sphynx were usually all called together. So I’d watch for the Oriental Shorthairs who were benched on the next row over to go and know I’d take Hollywood right after. They usually give 3 courtesy calls. Everyone was pretty understanding that Sphynx get cold and don’t mind if you don’t put them in the cage until after the second call. Otherwise they may be in there freezing while 8 cats are being judged ahead of them. I either sat in the chairs in front of the ring or walked away and watched from a distance. And yes, they wipe each cage and the judging table between cats.

Hollywood was the only Sphynx in Championship so he automatically won best of color class and best of breed. It was a 2 day show with 8 rings and we saw 4 judges the first day and the other 4 the next day. Cats competing in championship and premiership classes do not compete against each other. If you want to bring your other cat you could show him in the household pet category. None of the shows here allow cats who are not entered in the show to be in the building.

As far as bathroom breaks and touching, I let people pet Hollywood. We were right by the entrance so I knew people weren’t petting Persians right before him and I brought hand sanitizer. He’s an attention hog so I never mind people petting him and answering lots of questions but most people at the shows do not allow people to touch their cats. You can take a little sign that says, “No touching please†in case you need it. The other thing to ask about benching when you register is to be benched next to someone who is willing to help a first timer. I was benched next to a really nice Main Coon breeder and she kept an eye on Hollywood if I had to leave our benching area.

I don’t know if you’re showing in TICA or CFA but I found the CFA “Newbee†page pretty helpful: The Cat Fanciers' Association New Bee Program

KhaosKatze

Lairian
I too have a question about showing. My sphynx Gizmo has a small crroked bump near the end of his tail and a tiny spur sticking out the end. According to the previous owner the vet and breeder says its a small birth defect. My husband thinks its injury but I do not know the truth and adopted him form the owner and hes 2 years old. I am sort of interested in shows and would have to see how they ru here in Germany if there is any nearby. He is a friendly and beautiful seal point sphynx but the tip of end of his tail is my main concern. Without any official breeder papers, pedigree I cant say. there is mention of the tail having a bump in the veterinarian records documents but says its nothing of concern. Are cats with small defects like this shown or is it not worth it?

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If your cat is the only Sphynx at the show, you would always win best of breed and best color, but because you're the only one you wouldn't really gain any points. You would only gain points in the judging ring if you're against another sphynx. If you're the only one you'd get your points from getting finals, then your points would be based on the number of other Champions or Premieres you're against (all breeds). As Retro Kitty said, Champions (intact) and Premieres (altered) don't compete against each other. They do clean the sides of the cages too between cats and not just the bottom.

I've usually had someone (hubby) with me when I'm showing, but the couple of times I haven't my benching neighbor has helped watch my cat if I've needed to step away a moment and I also have these clip locks that hold the zipper closed so someone can't just easily unzip my shelter and it would become more obvious if someone was messing with it. I've also had Ash at a show with me a couple of times and several times I've seen others with a cat there to keep their show cat company. It didn't ever seem to be a problem with anyone. Guess you need to check with the shows in your area.

I also let people pet Gizzy since everyone is so thrilled to see a Sphynx at a show. But again like Retro Kitty, would have hand sanitizer. But it's perfectly fine if you don't want people to pet your cat. A lot do have signs that say "do not pet" or "do not touch".

Good suggestions with the newbee page, [MENTION=5268]Retro Kitty[/MENTION].

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I too have a question about showing. My sphynx Gizmo has a small crroked bump near the end of his tail and a tiny spur sticking out the end. According to the previous owner the vet and breeder says its a small birth defect. My husband thinks its injury but I do not know the truth and adopted him form the owner and hes 2 years old. I am sort of interested in shows and would have to see how they ru here in Germany if there is any nearby. He is a friendly and beautiful seal point sphynx but the tip of end of his tail is my main concern. Without any official breeder papers, pedigree I cant say. there is mention of the tail having a bump in the veterinarian records documents but says its nothing of concern. Are cats with small defects like this shown or is it not worth it?

With this kind of "defect" you would have to show your cat in the household cat division. Those type of problems aren't an issue in that category. In the Champion or Premiere category a crooked bump and spur would be considered a defect and they'd be disqualified. (Besides that you'd need his papers to show him in Champion or Premiere.) He could do great in Household though!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would love to show my kitties can you show multiple cats my hubby and I would go and they don't seem to come close to our home often.

Christina

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would love to show my kitties can you show multiple cats my hubby and I would go and they don't seem to come close to our home often.

Christina

Sure can! Lots of people have more than one cat at the show. My breeder had four at this last show (not counting my baby girl).

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you're showing all of them in the same class it makes it a lot easier! At our lady show I had 2 in Kitten and one in Championship. My partner had to come help me because it was too many rings to keep up with and almost physically impossible to get them to where they needed to be. But if they're in the same class they will be in the same ring at the same time and you can take them up one by one. That's how I do it and it's never been a problem. It is nice to have an extra set of hands and ears though. If nothing else just to record who got what ribbons.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you're showing all of them in the same class it makes it a lot easier! At our lady show I had 2 in Kitten and one in Championship. My partner had to come help me because it was too many rings to keep up with and almost physically impossible to get them to where they needed to be. But if they're in the same class they will be in the same ring at the same time and you can take them up one by one. That's how I do it and it's never been a problem. It is nice to have an extra set of hands and ears though. If nothing else just to record who got what ribbons.

Oh boy, are you right there! This last show we had five in three different classes and there were times we were hopping! :dead:

Back