Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Prayers for Jethro

jedandc

Lairian
Jethro had an episode 3 days ago that turned out to be cardiac in origin. I thought he was dying. He has a grade 2 heart murmur with some fluid on his lungs. Giving lasix. Needs more testing but I'm on a fixed income. Any ideas on cost?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your vet should be able to give you an estimate Or provide Lower-cost alternatives through a nearby university where you can contact and obtain an estimate from them. Costs will vary not only from veterinarian to veterinarian, but city and state as well. Keeping Jethro in my thoughts.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear the news. I agree with @Xandria to get some estimated pricing from your vet. Not sure what testing he is suggesting, but assumed you had an x-ray and next echocardiogram? Lair Prayers are sent.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How sad. I will pray for your baby.
I would talk with your Vet and see if
you can get any help. From somewhere.
Keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jedandc ,(((hugs))))) ((positve vibes)))) to Jethro
I don't know the cost but my vet will work with me when times are tough amd sort thru the best cut thru the chase test, etc to save costs

(I actually ended getting a care credit card - apps at vet or over phone -for promos over $200 but has to be paid monthly (min will not pay it off in 6 mos so you have to stay on top of it or outrageous interest - vets can decide promo length - my vet went 18 mos )

Please know our thoughts are with you and Jethro
Amd will be watching for updates

Blackcat1313

Lairian
Jethro had an episode 3 days ago that turned out to be cardiac in origin. I thought he was dying. He has a grade 2 heart murmur with some fluid on his lungs. Giving lasix. Needs more testing but I'm on a fixed income. Any ideas on cost?

So sorry to hear about Jethro. Aside from contacting universities and other sphynx-friendly vets that will give estimates and/or work with payment plans, Care Credit, etc. are his meds costly? My parents bought some of their pet meds at "human" pharmacies, even the shopping club ones (like Sam's Club, and you don't need a membership!). Also, there are some local/nationwide rescues that may be able to assist depending on breed, disease, etc. Google is your friend! I know it's very overwhelming. Keep us posted!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Positive thoughts to you and Jethro. Most vet hospitals will accept Care Credit and they offer promotional rates if paid within a certain time frame of 0% interest.

As far a cost it depends on what is recommended and the area that you reside. If you are looking for cost on testing, I can tell you for me personally an Echocardiogram is about $450 at my vet. (My mastiff has a heart murmur and we had to have it evaluated further prior to his neuter and gastropexy procedure) For medication costs lasix is relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at a human pharmacy vs. a veterinarian. Some pharmacies (CVS) has a pet discount code that they can apply you just have to ask if it's available for the medication you are purchasing. Hope this helps.

Back