Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Prayers for Zolo my Bubba Bear

Yoda mom

Staff member
This morning I dropped off my Bubba Bear for his dental cleaning , possible extraction.
While he is under anesthesia I am having the vet remove a small suspicious lump on the top of his rear foot:(
It does not appear to be a lipoma , so I want it out .
He will be 6 yrs old xmas day - often times his breed develops bone cancer around this age .
He is a big boy 163 lbs! Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers .
The vet should be calling soon for the pre surgery update

Zolo Bubba Bear is on the left in the picture with his Brother Sam

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 59

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending my prayers to sweet big boy Zolo! Your boys are absolutely gorgeous. Please keep us updated on how hes doing post surgery. (((hugs)))

susi794

Staff member
Praying for your Bubba Bear and for you. He’s sooooooo handsome. His coat justgleams. It’s obvious this boy is loved.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
All fingers and paws crossed for Zola Bear. Sending lots of healing vibes.
Zola Bear is very handsome and so is brother Sam

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Speedy recovery to Bubba Bear. I hope he gets a treat after all this. Dang a Bubba Bear sized treat is like what....a whole chicken?

Yoda mom

Staff member
image.jpeg image.jpeg @Catzzzmeow , thank you for checking in on my big baby ..
He is very sleepy , just want to hang out on his big k9 ballistic bed and get tummy rubs.
He would not go to the bathroom, till this morning - came back in arms went back to sleep.
Really didn't want eat his kibble amd that is not like him.
I ground his kibble with water and made mush thst he liked better .
Vet called yesterday to check on him but I missed the call(sucky cell phone service )

Goimg to call the vet for an update
He is on a pain med Previcox and an antibiotic I have not heard of Cefpodoxime

The vet teach said they tried every pill pocket and trick to get him to eat the pills before discharge .
Je refused all methods . He is easy to pill with no bribing - but ten minutes later they checked and he had not swallowed it ! They asked me what I use at home to give him his Microlactin daily joint supplements .
Lol Cream cheese! Goes right down :)
Lol I tired Chuck eye steak in the past amd he spit it out . So cream cheese it is !

I brought his Kong inflatable e collar with me to the vet.
Poor baby stood there with it on with all the staff in the lobby saying he looks like he is going to go swimming .

His foot is bandaged where they removed a lump from the top of his foot .
Zolo has been an angel shuffling along with his foot bandage .
He has not sniffed it or bothered with it at all.
I was expecting to find the bandage ripped off in the morning .. Happily he has been an easy compliant good boy .

Just very not himself sleepy mopey amd a little whiney

Off to call the vet to update .
He has a follow up appointment on October 10( lol can't forget that date - I got married on a Maui beach way back when -big D later)

Thank you for checking in on my Bobo bubba bear
I have pics of the gnarly lump:( ewhh)

Will keep you posted
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Look at that big boy...he looks so sweet and silly with the inflatable collar lol. Hoping results come back clear.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , here is a pic **** ewhh of the lump removed
Looks nasty

Yes he was a good boy :)
Shuffles along happy go lucky
Ps - got his new"diet " food today haven't told him whin I mixed it in

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you for your thoughts .. He is recoopimg being a big mommas boy baby talking his usual moaning and groaning for belly rubs - I taught them to "cuddle " lol a now 163 lb cuddle to my 108 lbs is hilarious
He carries around his ball like a pacifier .

To be honest , I am on the fence about spending as much money on a biopsy as it was to remove it . Vets office holds onto the lump if I change my mind and want it tested .
Part of me doesn't want to know bcz my over 30 years experience with rotties stealing my heart .. They all have gotten leg lumps confirmed cancerous in the past :(
All were 12 and 13 yrs old when they got their wings from osteosarcoma . It's a curse of the breed much like HCM with Sphynx .

I know its a personal decision for amputation , chemo , etc - and some many not agree .
But I take a matter of fact approach and promise them quality and dignity and never to hold on for my sake.
We love each moment and live in the moment fulfilled to its best . That's rottie life for me and them .

He has a follow up on the Oct 10th for us to discuss it further and recheck his foot and his dental
(They did trim his guns around his canines - that's new to me )

The vet was in surgery when I picked him up. I asked the tech to see east she noted the lump was .
They said possible keratin lump? Will discuss when I see the vet on the 10th.

He is being such a good boy . Never even looks or acts like his foot is bandaged . But suckers me for sympathy cuddles and belly rubs :)
His new nickname is "Shuffles " .he shuffles along puppy like in the head to play with his fav ball with not a care in the world about what I am worrying about .

We have a follow on the 10th and will post updates

Pleas send comtinued prayers for my Zolo Bubba Bear Shuffles

Thank you for caring
I know this breed is not a fav by many -
He is a true ambassadors for the breed . Lol the kitties rule him .
He gets face lip rubs and ears licked by them. he patiently waits for them to finish drinking from his bowl or sneak a piece of kibble from his bowl.
He rolls his ball to them to play lol
I always say he thinks he is a cat

Last edited:

susi794

Staff member
I agree with your approach completely. I love rotties! He sounds like such a sweet boy. I pray younand his kitty friends enjoy him for MANY more years to come.
Smooch him from me,
Susi

Yoda mom

Staff member
Update on my Bobo Bubba Bear

I took his foot bandage off as per vet's imstructions - sadly it was irritated and appeared infected -
Back to the vet today - yup - infected

He was such a good boy! All 161 lbs of bubba bear ! He lost two pounds already on his new Eagle Pack reduced far food (like no recalls , Sam love it too
Fat 6-9% max - very comparable to the very expensive "vet " prescription food

He got his stitches removed with no muzzle - just told him to cuddle .
he lay in my arms as vet tech cut out the stitches from of the infected incision -

Blood work came back - he may be hypothyroid
So did more blood work - they needed a big sample so collected it in his jugular vein -
He was good boy - not a wince or whine
Thyroid panel shipped out to the lab -
Vet said he may need thyroid meds - kmow more when test back next week .

She rechecked his dental he had done ( they cut so,e of the gum around his canines - he did great - not s peep out of him as he sat so patiently getting poked on and prodded on -

Vet tech complimented hoe nice my rotties compared to some of their other clients -

He got his complimentary 14 pack Oravet dental chews - he loves them
He cuddled everyone om our way out and plopped down for their belly rubs

He will be on 6 cephalaxin antibiotic pills a day for his foot .
She also gave me a package containing a lot of special pads soaked in chlorahexadine
For wipe domed of his foot -

we got home - I cleaned his foot dried it and gave him his Oravet

I feel like dr Doolittle ! Now he is om meds , my other boy is on seizure meds and Apoquel for allergies
They have their own shelf of handtowels and shelf for meds!

On the positive note - vet said the lump removed appears benign and didn't think necessary to send out for testing .
I did learn they keep it for s year in case I wanted it tested

Please keep my boy in your thoughts for his thyroid labs and healing on his foot

Last edited:
Back