Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about breeder behavior and such

Lauren

Lairian
I am guessing most people here got their sphynx from a breeder.

I have something that is starting to bother me, and I want advice.

So, I picked up Kenny about a month ago from a nice breeder. The only problem is, he supposedly is registered and comes with a health guarantee and I received neither when I picked him up! Now, I realize I probably should have checked for them in the bag she gave me, but I was so excited I didn't even think about it. So I e-mailed her to ask her about the registration, she said she would mail them in when she gets the forms or something? It's been a month and I haven't heard anything from her. Then two days ago I e-mailed her once again asking her about the registration and his health guarantee and I have gotten no response. What do you guys think about all of this? Is she being shady? Do most people have the papers and things for you right away? Written health guarantee or just based on good faith??

I'm feeling stupid because I did so much research to try and find a reputable breeder, and now I feel like I may have gotten duped. This lady checks her e-mail every day, multiple times a day, so she is basically ignoring me.

holly_savage

Banned
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this.
My kitten's registration papers (the official blue slip for me to send away for her to be registered with CFA) were given to me right away. She had even done up a pedigree (6 generations) for her. As to the health guarantee, I wasn't given anything seperate for that, it was just stipulated on the contract I signed.

I really hope that it all turns out for you.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I would be concerned you didn't get his health gaurentee when you picked him up or atleast his full medical history from the vets. Depending on his age I can sort of understand why she didn't have his registration papers but I could be wrong as well. I hope you here something soon! I sent you a PM to find out if your breeder is in Ohio and who it was.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pm me the breeders name also.
We have a list of breeders that pull that.
First thing was there a contract?
If not there is a problem.
The health guarantee should be in the contract.
I got the shot record with all my cats.
Cleo came with the blue slip for TICA.
Wrinkles came after because TICA was slow but her breeder let me know what was going on.
Polars will come soon because TICA is slow right now.
Was your kitten sold as show or pet quality.

Inferno12

Banned
My breeder gave me Johnnys paperwork with the contract that I signed. She showed it to me and explained that I should send off the paperwork to put him in my name. I didnt get any health guarantee but I believe it was in the contract that I signed. It was this way with both of the cats I got from her.

I think it is odd that she is not giving you the paperwork. Did you get a copy of the contract that you signed?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also did not receive registration papers on my kitty from the breeder. i didn't get papers with my adoption/rescue either (not that i expected such). My breeder however, did give us a contract and within the contract speaks of a health guarantee. After finding out about our kitty's tummy issues, we spoke to her regularily. in return she offered us a-either return our kitty (which i would NEVER do) or b- the option of buying in the future for 1/2 price. Hopefully her good faith word is enough for the future.
Unless you looking to breed/show your cat, to me, registration isn't that important (in my opinion).. but the health guarantee is pretty important. i would really push that.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is important because it has the lines of the sphynx and you need it if you want to show.

Lauren

Lairian
Pm me the breeders name also.
We have a list of breeders that pull that.
First thing was there a contract?
If not there is a problem.
The health guarantee should be in the contract.
I got the shot record with all my cats.
Cleo came with the blue slip for TICA.
Wrinkles came after because TICA was slow but her breeder let me know what was going on.
Polars will come soon because TICA is slow right now.
Was your kitten sold as show or pet quality.

Did you get my PM? It's not showing up as sent in my folder. I'm curious to know if you've heard anything about this particular breeder.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have had this issue too. Snuggles does not have his reg. papers. I have asked for them a few times since I was going to try and show him.. She has said she will send them but I have yet to get them and I have had him since Christmas eve! I know there are a few breeders that never fork them over! Its a shame!! Good luck, I hope you get your papers!!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
FIRST- TICA can be a pain in the butt about getting papers out. A major pain in the butt! So sometimes, it is TICA dragging *you know what*...

SECOND- if you were told you are receiving papers, you KEEP asking your breeder until you get them. No, not every day- but I'd say every two weeks. Send an update on your kitten and say, "Any news on my papers yet?" Don't give up- you don't need to be rude either- sometimes there are legit reasons for the paperwork to be slow.

THIRD- health guarantees. DON'T buy a cat without first reading and knowing what type of guarantee you are getting. Otherwise, you may be told you are getting one, but without a contract- there is nothing binding. Plus, what's the point of a guarantee if you finally get it and everything that could possibly go wrong is excluded from the guarantee?

And never ever ever ever buy a Sphynx kitten without a guarantee! I cannot tell you the number of people I have met who have bought kittens that had congenital health issues- mostly heart- before a YEAR of age- and no contract, nothing!

I hope your breeder is a good one- just slow :)

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Sabrina and Tapanga were purchased on a pet contract. Their breeder witholds registration papers until she receives the proof of spay from my vet. My coworker purchased a kitten from her last fall and DID get the papers once she had her kitten spayed. I think the health guarantee was outlined in the contract I signed, both she and I have copies. When I picked up Sabrina, I was also given a little folder from the vet showing which vaccinations she had been given and when.

mercurysmile

Lairian
when I picked up Walter, there was a 17 page contract to read through. It inclued a health guarantee, and we spent half an hour with the breeder going over the contract. I wouldnt feel right forking over 1000 or more in cash for anything without a contract first. We never did get registration papers, although Walter was only altered a month before we found the healtth issues, so maybe TICA was slow...

It is important too- since Walter sadly did have some health issues, we had a contract that gave us a few choices. In the end the breeder has been pretty good, we get a replacement free and a second kitten at half price from a litter born this spring (not that this replacese little Walter in our hearts, but it's better than a broken heart and a broken wallet too)

We will be getting our new babies in a few weeks :)

holly_savage

Banned
I am sorry to hear about you losing Walter, but I have to say that your breeder seems like a very honest and upstanding one. Congrats on the new kittens!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My breeder won't talk to me either. I never recieved my health guarentee or papers either!

My other cat I got from a "byb" and she is really fuzzy and not registered.

The other cat I got from someone who got him from a breeder and I have no idea if he has papers or a guarentee.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Definitely contact her again. The health guarantee may be in the contract rather than a separate piece of paper.

I always try to give the reg papers at the same time as the kitten but occasionally its not possible, especially if TICA/ CFA are slow to get them back to me. One time I had to send them back to TICA to be corrected so the new owner didn't get them for a couple of weeks.

Definitely contact her again.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hate to say this she will not get the blue slip from this breeder.
I have been told that by other breeders.

susi794

Staff member
Liars just make me soooo mad! They must not be registered--can't think of any other reason not to give the papers.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The health guarentee is generally in the contract you signed with your breeder. Yes, sometimes it can take awhile to recieve the papers due to TICA or CFA being extremely slow! I would be persistent with the breeder and also save all emails between you and the breeder just in case!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ya I have also heard about this breeder... She didnot get hers from my breeder but I do know that neither one of us will likely get our papers :ThumbsDown: I did get my papers for Casper the day I got her though! Great breeder!!:ThumbsUp:

Lauren

Lairian
The breeder finally contacted me the other day and told me the papers must've gotten lost in the mail or something... sounds like BS to me. Oh well.

Back