Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question about color and eyes

holly_savage

Banned
I know that a 'mink' cat is supposed to have turquoise colored eyes, but here is the question...

Kokka is listed as a Seal Mink & White, but her eyes are a golden color...could the '& White" part of her "coat" color be the reason for the golden eyes?

If so, will that cause her to be disqualified or affect her negatively in the show ring?

Your thoughts and expertise is appreciated here.
THanks

holly_savage

Banned
I think Kokka would be classed as sepia. Kokka is thermal isn't she? (she developed color/ got darker?)

Pointed have blue eyes.
Mink have aqua eyes.
Sepia have gold eyes

Yes she is getting darker. Great, so now when I finally get the TICA papers, I'll have to change her coloring and eye color...
how much of a pain is that with TICA?

So what would the official wording be then? Sepia and white? Her nose is black
Here is a good photo that shows her eye color. (don't mind the eye goober!)

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think she would be a Seal Sepia and white.

I'm not sure how easy/ difficult it is to change color on the TICA pages. I would imagine changing eye color would be fairly easy, because people don't always take into allowance kittens eyes changing color as they get older.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it was $9 to change it.
It happened to me last year with Wrinkles.
It is pretty easy.

holly_savage

Banned
Cool, thanks Jacky. I haven't gotten my ppwk from the breeder yet, so I haven't even registered her in my name yet...TICA is taking forever! But ironically it took about 5 days to get my Cattery name ppwk from them...go figure!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

TICA is very slow.
Polar became a ChA on July 17th and I got the Certificate a few days a go.
I got the confirmation fast though.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks
I think Kokka is Sephia and White also.
Her eyes look like Cleos in the pic so I think they are gold.
You can show her in TICA with out the papers one time.
I did it with Polar because TICA took forever.
The few of the judges told me Polar has a red tail
How Strange.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I always find the coloring so interesting. Now, why would Kokka be considered white- just curious? i dont know much about the colors, so i'm trying to understand. (simply curious... hope i'm not intruding)

holly_savage

Banned
I don't have any pictures of Kokka before 3 months old, so I don't know myself, but the breeder I got her from is a Judge in TICA, and an experienced breeder so I would assume he would know the difference. Her darker spots have darkened considerably since we got her.

ANd as to the question about the White coloring, they will usually put the "& White" when they have little bits of white here and there. Kokka has a little squiggly of white on her back, and some with markings on her face, with a lot of white on her underbelly, and her feet.

Hibou is also a Seal mink & white...but she has much less white than Kokka does.

Is there a rule where if they are 50% or more white it would change their official coloring?

Hope that explains it a little bit.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I met the breeder at the TICA Annual and he is where I am getting my Bombay from.
You could always ask him what to put on the reg.
You also could do a DNA test like I did with Wrinkles.
She changed into a Seal Tortie and White after I got her.
Wrinkles breeder had her as a Seal and White.
Tica will just change it at a show if the color is wrong then they send you a letter saying the cat was shown as the wrong color.
It is very easy to change.

Bella07

Banned
Pointed have blue eyes.
Mink have aqua eyes.
Sepia have gold eyes

That's great to know! I used to always get confused; As some breeders would say that their kitten was a Seal point w/ white, while others would say their kitten was Seal mink w/ white....Now I understand the differences when it comes to the eye color!

Back