Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raphael was at the vet

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Earlier this week I noticed Raphael was licking her bum frequently and vigorously. I emailed my vet to see if it could be worms. Even though Raphael does not go outside she does eat bugs. I took her in today, this is what her Dr. said:

The Dr. checked her over and did a bum check with gel and rubber gloves. She explained to me that cats have anal glands that are about the size of sunflower seeds. When they poo the glands get pushed on and liquid gets squeezed out. For whatever reason the glands on Raphael did not empty and became enlarged which would be uncomfortable, hence the licking. The Dr. squeezed the glands and liquid came out. She recommended changing Raphael's food to a high fibre brand. If that doesn't work I will need to bring her in to get her glands squeezed when I notice Raphael uncomfortable.

These cats are definitely a unique breed!

Oh thats awful the poor little muffin. Hope the food helps out.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hopefully changing food will work
Good you noticed something wasn't right and went to the vet. Some cats (and dogs) have this now and then.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Annejo12 , so glad you got Raphael to the vet.
I am sure she feels so much better
(Fwiw a change of food with my dog did the trick)

Positive vibes sent!
Let us know what food she was eating and what you are switching too

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to their wet food morning and night. Not pumpkin pie filling, but pure pumpkin. It should add the right amount of fiber.

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Try adding a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to their wet food morning and night. Not pumpkin pie filling, but pure pumpkin. It should add the right amount of fiber.
Alright, thanks for the tip!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Annejo12 , so glad you got Raphael to the vet.
I am sure she feels so much better
(Fwiw a change of food with my dog did the trick)

Positive vibes sent!
Let us know what food she was eating and what you are switching too
She was eating Royal Canin Adult Vetrinarian Care Nutrition and has switched to Royal Canin Fiber Vetrinary Diet. We had tried food from the pet store rather than the vet a month ago and she broke out with spots. Once we went back to the Vetrinary care she was fine. Unfortunately it is expensive. I think she is worth it but my husband grumbles a bit. He just doesn't get it. Probably because he is allergic to her and doesn't get the same pleasure from her. But he admits I spent a lot of money on this cat and we want her healthy.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad to hear she's doing well. That naughty play look on her face tells me she feels great:)