Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw Food Emergency

Tasha2511

Lairian
Right...I am at my wits end.

Luna was on raw...we originally converted her to raw using forti flora as an additive in her food. Success and she was happy eating raw food without any additives after 3 short weeks.

Due to her having diarrhea and vomiting episodes, the vet switched her to Royal Canin GI - she was happy eating it. We were then diagnosed with Bartonella and last week after her final ultrasound were given the all clear to go back to raw. YAY. Her lymph nodes went down, intestinal swelling went away too.

Luna has not eaten properly for 72 hours. Lost 200gm of weight. She refused point blank to even look at raw! She will have a slice of raw chicken when I am cooking, but nothing more than that. We are currently sustaining her on treats, as thats the only thing she will eat. I gave in today and gave her a pouch of RC GI. She swallowed it whole!! Clearly hungry. She also has access to RC GI kibbles...which she nibbles on.

I dont know what to do. We tried forti flora. We tried Tuna juice. We tried a little bit of tuna chunks with raw. Nope...nothing.

I am tempted to mix her raw with gravy...but I dont know if 1) you can 2) i can use normal gravy granules 3) I have to make it - flour or cornstarch with it? freeze it or keep it in a jar?

Please help! She is already showing bones!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Tasha2511 Although she might have liked it before, there is some reason she doesn't want it now and might never. If she is hungry you should just feed her the best quality food you can afford and she will like. It is like if a human hates a food, you just can't get them over it. We as humans have an option to eat something different, your cat does not have this choice you need to make the change and feed her what she will eat. If bones are showing that is not good especially when she has shown she is hungry.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So you allowing her to survive on treats cause you're that adamant she must only eat raw? There's nothing wrong with good cat food. I'd rather my baby be eating and staying healthy then forcing it to eat what I believe is right. Cats have evolved since only feeding on pray like humans some like it some don't but I find it aweful that to force them into it but that's my 5c worth that I'm sure to get flamed for but a starving kitty that already been ill does not appear to me to be the solution

Tasha2511

Lairian
Just so that you are aware, she wasnt left to starve with no food other than treats. She hasnt had a proper meal in 72 hours yes. But as we are cooking, we are allowing her to sample raw meat, to get her taste buds working. We have not given her wet food. She has full access to dry kibbles (correct me if I am wrong, but some cats and sphynxes too, only eat kibbles and do fine). She isnt a fan of dry food...but she goes, she eats it several times per day. Usually she has 3 to 4 sachets of RC GI per day plus kibbles when she wants.
I wouldnt just take all food away, I am not that cruel. Her weight has been sustained on treats as they are higher in calories but even those are 100 organic, meat treats with cheese.

She eats pieces of raw chunks that we give her to sample. She eats them fine, but just wont touch her raw meals. Thats the issue I am having. Her meals are supplemented, minced beef and goose fat. She wont touch it. But more than happy to lick the goose fat off the spoon, and eat a chunk of beef.

Trying to find good quality in UK is hard. RC GI is rather expensive if I am totally honest - at £15 per 12 sachets. I dont mind the cost of it, but even that is extortionate. I looked at online pet food stores in UK, and there are SOOOOO many that I dont know where to start.
She need high calorie, and something that wont upset her tummy. Hence the raw she was really good with. Before that, we tried different brands (purina pro - she vomited, bozita - gave her runs, lillys kitchen and applaws - she refused to eat it, RC indoor - wind). All thats left now is PerfectFit (more recommended for furkids when i spoke to them) and James Wellbeloved, others I have never heard off.

meandmytwo

Lairian
Hi @Tasha2511
Have you tried a commercially prepared raw? There are many many proteins (so flavours) to choose from. Maybe she was tired of the same one. Just a thought. My boys started with turkey. Then I introduced rabbit and they no longer will touch the turkey. Then I introduced beef/salmon blend, then lamb. Now we interchange those three as their primary diet. And I continue to try a different protein now and then (venison, kangaroo).
This may not be an option for you... I'm in Canada. I'm not sure what your options are where you live. Or perhaps you prefer to make your own.

Tasha2511

Lairian
We dont have commercially prepared raw here. I managed to source one which imports it into UK but she had diarrhea after - thinking it was because we switched her, we continued...till we took her off and it still continued whilst on boiled chicken. Then Imodium came. So no good commercially prepared raw I managed to find.

I was making my own. Whilst she was being treated and on RC GI, her food was in the freezer. She has choices of Rabbit, Beef, or Lamb. I have to mince her meat because she doesnt get on with bone and doesnt like heart or liver raw (only cooked form). Hence I use supplements. Which is the reason I cant give her the chunks on their own - she will have no other vitamins and minerals that she needs.

I did buy Miamor Cat Snack Creams in various flavours (together with the RC GI boxes) today, to see if I can mix that with her mince for her to eat it. But I dont know if I can...Tried to find ready made gravy for cats - not sure if I can just use gravy granules. She likes the gravy in the RC GI - in order for her to eat that, we have to mash it. Otherwise, gravy is licked and the pieces are all around the plate, and not in her tummy. She's a fussy eater to say the least!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Tasha2511 Oh picky Luna! Can you find a wet food that has similar ingredients as RC GI but is less expensive? Maybe ask the vet what he/she sees as similar food?
My boys eat raw food but my girl refuses to eat it. I mixed raw food with wet food but the princess didn't touch it. Not even when 1/4 was raw food and 3/4 wet food. So I gave up and give her wet food.

Go for the food you can efford and that's good for Luna. I know you want the best for her and you'll give what you can.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tasha2511 , head smooches to Luna
And glad she got the all clear !

You could post a new thread for recommendations for quality kibble avail in your area

I tried Raw years ago amd it just didn't go over well at all..
My Bengal refused it- he ate Dr tims kibble amd Acaan and lived a long healthy life
My now 4 sphynx amd Bengal turned up their noses to Raw too
So we are on kibble

Hopefully others can chime in with some kibble reco,memdstioms in your area -
The other reason I like kibble amd wet canned food is in case of natural disaster or if so,dsome needs to pet sit it may be a bit easier to manage

Keep us updated on Luna and lots of head smooches sent !

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Hairless Blessing tgsts the good vets give if there is anything off tummy wise. Usual instructions is to finish one small bag before switching became to normal food. It's a food you don't need to transition on to. So sounds like the vet gave it because of the vomit and diarrhea.

Is the calorie control one any cheaper?? My vet put Astrid on it after the GI to get chubs weight down lol not sure if it comes in wet though

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Tasha2511 - I feel for you. Mine are on raw and occasionally eat the GI diet (not sure if it is RC or another Rx brand) from the vet. (Long story as to why they do). The vet said that the GI brands have a really enticing flavour, and when mine get it, they act like it is crack and go crazy for it. Can you mash up the RC wet food and add it to her raw to get her to eat it, then gradually reduce the amount?
Good for you to try and keep getting her to eat the raw. I wouldn't use regular gravy mix due to the sodium and spice content. We use these pouches (it is like a slurry) to help when they get picky.
b07e7f4f7e73310333b93b8b2c61333b.jpg

Tasha2511

Lairian
Thank you all for your advices...Yesterday my mum tried to give her raw. She went out, bought an expensive steak, chopped it up so she still had pieced like she likes them, and guess what all....she ate the whole thing. That was at 3pm. Satisfied, she played a bit and went to sleep. Right before her next feed, at 6pm she wakes up, goes into the kitchen...and throws up everything. Undigested, meat was the same colour as before it went in.
Ended up calling the vet, as she also had tremors since we picked her up from the vet on friday after her ultrasound.
Anyway....for now, she will remain on GI (my choice). The vet is more than happy for me to source another GI food. And also suggested that we put her back on anti nausea tablets (she already rattles, and I need to give her more drugs) as apparently doxycycline can cause them to lose an appetite.

But he did say, that the raw wouldve been his number one preferred diet for her...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The main thing is that she eats. You don't want her losing weight which leads to worse things. Whatever she will eat to keep the weight on is #1.

Now if you have a choice:

1. Dry food is the last resort. I know lots of people say their cats are fine on it but the point is that it's a risk. Some people smoke and don't get lung cancer; it doesn't mean smoking is safe.

2. Canned (or tinned) food can be better or worse depending on ingredients. Whether it is a prescription diet or not doesn't matter as much as the actual ingredients. You can always look for a non-prescription food that mimics the ingredients in the prescription diet. The less of the ingredients that you can't even pronounce the better.

3. If you can get her to eat raw, I would stick to rabbits, poultry, and mice....these are natural prey for cats. Not natural prey is any animal with hooves or gills; it's not that they can't ever eat it but you want to be safe when you don't know what exactly is the problem. I wouldn't toss the beef or lamb but save it for later. Offer the rabbit. If you can get duck, it has high fat for when they need to put some weight on.

Hope this helps - let us know how it goes!

EDIT - avoid the meds if possible....of course if you are treating for a condition then you have to give meds...but meds can cause digestive upset.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is important if you are making your own raw food. It must be balanced or else you are better off to feed a commercial diet.

Balancing in this case refers to the balance of calcium to phosphorus. The ratio of calcium to phosphorus in the food must be about 1.1 to 1 or maybe a little higher like 1.3 to 1.

Therefore the higher the phosphorus, the more calcium you need. Don't worry about the weight of the cat. Balance the food.

Don't Let Calcium/Phosphorous Ratios Scare You - Feline Nutrition Foundation

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe the issue you are having is providing raw and kibble at the same time? They digest at different rates so if feeding them both that could maybe cause some issues. Have you tried mixing the Raw with the wet?

Cleous

Lairian
Im in uk, and use natures menu pouches and natures menu prepared raw cubes, the pouches have 70-80% pure meat in the highest on the market the rest is jelly i use these occasionally and then the raw cubes the rest of the time they come in diff flavours and are completely balanced

Katethespy

Lairian
There's loads of commercially prepared raw in the uk: purrform, naturesmenu, kiezebrink, natural instinct, nurturing by nature to name a few; even pets at home will deliver it! Most deliver UK wide.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Most sensitive cats wouldn't be able to tolerate steak, red meat is very hard to digest for them. It's not good to stop a liked food and force them into something else cold turkey, cats don't work like that - they need to be slowly transitioned with a small amount of the introduced food next to the current one. And transitions generally don't work if any type of food (kibble) is left out constantly, it needs to be done at set meal times.

RC GI kibble is basically garbage (literally), its first ingredient (aka the majority of the food) is "Brewer's rice", which means rice production leftovers that are deemed unfit for human consumption. "Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, chicken fat, corn, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, psyllium seed husk, natural flavors, chicory, egg product..." (readily listed on their own site under the ingredients tab - Feline Gastrointestinal Fiber Response dry cat food | Royal Canin Veterinary Diet)

"
Brewers' rice is a processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice thus reducing the quality[2]

Brewers' rice and second heads are one of the many byproducts that rice milling creates. Second heads are milled rice kernels that are one half to three quarters of the original kernel. Brewers' rice is a milled rice kernel that is one quarter to half the size of a full kernel. Second heads, depending on their quality are used to make rice flour. "If the quality of the second heads are poor, they will be sold for pet food or dairy feed. Brewers rice is sold for pet food and dairy feed exclusively."[3] "

Cats can't digest rice. Any decent vet's first recommendation for stomach issues is to remove grains from the diet.

Chicken by-product meal is the same as brewer's rice except for chicken, unfit for human consumption - exclusively used as animal feed. Stomach issues are most often caused by low quality food.

RoseEllen

Lairian
How are things with your baby and her stomach issues? I know it’s been a while since anyone wrote here but I just want to tell you my run in with raw. My kitten Bruce was on a raw chicken diet that I made myself for almost 3 weeks and everything was perfectly fine. Then I added in some psyllium husk because I thought he could use some fiber... well that was a mistake. He had a reaction to it and couldn’t hold anything down for 3 days and after a very expensive vet bill we were told he has GI issues and to feed him the wet GI sensitive food that costs an absolute fortune. We had him on that for about a month and honestly, even though he was eating... he had constant runny poops. Soooo I tried switching him back to raw chicken and he would not touch it. I mixed it in with his wet food and he literally ate around the chicken. I was disappointed because I knew raw is what’s best for him. A few weeks later I bought some rabbit and tried giving it to him as is, by itself. And he ate it. He won’t eat chicken anymore for whatever reason... equates it with Being sick that time perhaps? He also eats some beef that I make with chicken hearts and chicken liver and chicken bones... and yes I sneak in some chicken meat to bulk it up :smuggrin: He’s completely 100 percent back on raw with no issues and perfectly healthy poops again. (Yay!) my point is... the vet said he had GI issues But I didn’t give up and took a chance on different meats. Small amounts at first to get his tummy used to it. I hope you have a healthy baby now and have sorted Things out. Xo

Back