Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

red spots....everywhere!!!

Mortisha

Lairian
Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster....

My girl Ripley has a really bad rash ALL over her that is really concerning me. It looks like litte red raised dots all over her body.

At first, I was sure it was a heat rash. But it didn't settle down so I took her to the vet... you know the story, most vets aren't too familiar with the breed... he gave her a does of antibiotics and said he thinks it's folliculitis... It hasn't started to clear up yet after almost finishing the dose of antibiotics.

Has anyone had anything similar that could shed some light on my baby's problem?

She hasn't eaten anything unusual, my other sphynx and devon rex are fine and not effected and the only thing I could think it might be is an allergic reaction to the MALASEB that I washed her in not long ago.

Anybody got any ideas before I take her back to the vet???

thanks everyone!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes ...Babas has them right now. Usually acts up when he suns himself and licks. I put the soft cone of shame on him 2 days ago to avoid over licking and it has improved greatly. I have learned his behaviors over the years and have avoided the vet trips when I see the first signs. I originally had to take him for it as he made it worse by licking etc. and truly became infected. Attached is a picture I just took. The bumps are dried up already after 2 days. I took the cone off tonight but will put on again tomorrow for the day time as it is healing nicely and he at times can compulsively lick and it makes it worse. You might need to make a trip to vet to get under control and then in the future look for signs.

Two days ago they were bright red and MANY more. I just snapped this shot...much better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357784494.723938.jpg

Mortisha

Lairian
yes yes!! they look exactly like this!

SO I think it may be just a bad sun rash as expected. She looks soooo bad at the moment. She is just covered in red spots EVERYWHERE!! But she isn't scratching vigorously, just licking, which is making it a little worse. She sits in the sunny windowsil every morning.

thank you so much for your reply!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
No problem...that is why we are here to help. I was totally freaked the first time. Had to get a lotion a powder and a cone (ask for soft cone) I can send a picture if you need it....we were away on vacation the first time he got the spots and came home to him full of them. He hung in the window and just licked until it was like a staph infection. So I say go to vet now and get it treated. We live and we learn. Best advice I got about it was on here when a member said do not throw out that cone it will come in handy and yes a few times later and yes stained as it is, I have reused a few times and avoided a couple of vet bills :) They are creatures of habit and licking makes it worse. Glad it eased your mind. But definitely say get to vet if area is huge like ours was the first time...freaked me like he had chicken pox. Now I know the triggers and signs and get it under control quickly :) If you need anything else PM me :)

susi794

Staff member
Boo gets them when he gets upset or when he comes in contact with something that has had fabric softener on it. It is contact dermatitis for him. A steroid shot takes care of it for him if I take care of it right away. Otherwise it turns into an infection. You could try to give him an oatmeal bath-- it might help. But a vet visit is in order I think.

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lenore gets them ALL the time!! If I look at her wrong she gets them! A bit of olive oil rubbed into the skin usually clears hers right up in 24 hours or less.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Boo gets them when he gets upset or when he comes in contact with something that has had fabric softener on it. It is contact dermatitis for him. A steroid shot takes care of it for him if I take care of it right away. Otherwise it turns into an infection. You could try to give him an oatmeal bath-- it might help. But a vet visit is in order I think.

Totally agree Susi with getting to a vet...Babas got his the first time years ago when we were away on vacation and I think it stressed him. Nothing to do but lay in window and lick. What a life...lol. Now we have the sun coming in the the front of the house again and he is a bit stressed with new kitten so again he is licking. The cone immediately helped stop the behavior. Going to the vet will help educate the owner and the vet for the future. Babas didn't get a shot, but will keep that in mind if need be. He was given a lotion and a powder I had to apply. These guys have nothing to hide...everything shows. Even stress pimples :)

Mortisha

Lairian
thanks everyone!! You have all been really helpful! And have put my mind at ease that it is both a common ailment for sphynx cats and also that it is not too serious.

I think I will finish her antibiotics and take her back to the vet and speak to him about a steriodal solution.

thanks a super bunch!!!!!!!!!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some of the best advice our vet gave us was to bathe Cleopatra in oatmeal shampoo. I use Dr Foster's and Smith's oatmeal shampoo for cats and dogs, and Cleo has nice, clear skin. It completely cleared a minor skin condition that she came to us with and really worked wonders when she developed a bad case of hives last year. And she smells like almonds after her bath!:ThumbsUp:

Back