Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Rescues: is it common practice...?

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Warning: frustrated and whiney.

I'm curious about rescues. I've always thought very highly of people who dedicate their lives to rescuing, caring for, and rehoming animals. So glad these people exist. However, I'm starting to think that either I have really bad luck or that the reason they rescue animals is because they have limited people skills. :/

Time and again, I've called, applied with, and emailed rescues multiple times to receive no reply or just one that was of little help or information. Okay, great. The cats I've applied for were adopted. That's truly wonderful and I hope they live happily ever after.

But, really....how hard is it to send an email, text, or even call and just say, "____ has been adopted. Sorry." To me, it's common courtesy. I find it very tacky to just leave people hanging, yet I'm discovering that seems to be the norm.

Is it really common practice to ignore repeated contacts from an eager person or am I just having really bad luck? :ThumbsDown:

Alimoore

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It isnt you luck, it is a common thing. There are a lot of people out there looking for Sphynx just like you, so the rescues get a lot of offers on them. So when they get adopted, and are still getting a lot of replies, they just dont feel like responding to all of them. I wish that if they werent going to e-mail us back, that they would at least post under their listing that they were adopted as soon as they get adopted. But that would just be too easy :Laugh:

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It isnt you luck, it is a common thing. There are a lot of people out there looking for Sphynx just like you, so the rescues get a lot of offers on them. So when they get adopted, and are still getting a lot of replies, they just dont feel like responding to all of them. I wish that if they werent going to e-mail us back, that they would at least post under their listing that they were adopted as soon as they get adopted. But that would just be too easy :Laugh:

Agreed. :ThumbsUp: While I wait impatiently ;) I'm going to start stockpiling supplies so we're ready when our day does come.

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'll add that I've got a WONDERFUL breeder within an hour of home that I've kind of befriended via email. She's been so kind and a wonderful source of information. She's got beautiful kittens available, but for several reasons, we're trying to exhaust all rescue possibilities before purchasing from a breeder. It's good to know that we have a good option near us if/when I finally lose my patience. :LOL:

rlewis899

Lairian
I took all of about 6 weeks for me to lose my patience. That's how I ended up with two instead of one, it just worked out perfectly and exactly how it was meant to be I guess. And they were worth every penny.

After my pooch passed away in July I swore off pets all together. I made it 5 months. I am a pet person, I need a pet around to function as a happy and whole person, that's just the way it is. :Laugh:

TsumePaws

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I speak from experience from the rescue world. I've only really known the rescue world my entire "pet ownership career" (lol!) I've volunteered with rescues, fostered, helped with adoption events, coordinated and done transports. I have also worked as a kennel aide in our local animal shelter and it is tough. Rescues get SOOO overwhelmed. And cat rescues are always full, not full of sphynxes mind you (they aren't very common and get adopted SUPER fast when they come in). They get so many calls asking for people to take their cats, get so many emails about so many different things. Now I don't know of any "sphynx only" rescues in my area or period.

I know there are purebred rescues but even they get overwhelmed and full.

So when contacting a rescue I would try to see it from their point of view. You are probably email #????? out of hundreds possibly. It really really depends on the rescue. If they have a phone number listed it is always best to call unless they ask you to email.

Now I am speaking of course of ACTUAL rescues. Not people trying to rehome their cats on Kijiji or Craigslist.

We found Akasha via craigslist. I found that a lot of people we contacted would not email us back and never seemed to have a number listed. Akasha's owner listed her cell number and asked to be texted so that is what I did.

I think it is better to call if possible. Emails never seem like a reliable way to get ahold of people because I never get responses back..

I was pretty patient looking for my sphynx though, but I was also EXTREMELY vigilant on checking ads LOL! I got lucky (I feel that I did) finding Akasha and getting to adopt her was so worth the effort I went through. I love adopting animals it makes me feel like I am giving an animal a chance at a happy life.

Now had we been waiting for a year or more I may have started saving up to goto a breeder! I am pretty patient though, and I am the type who can and will wait for the perfect one to come into a situation where I can adopt.

I have no problems with responsible breeders however like I said I've been involved with the rescue community for so long that I typically only want to adopt my pets.

We did goto a breeder for our bird though! So you can never say never!

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I understand and agree on all points. The last three rescues (both regular and purebred or sphynx-specific) had no phone number listed. This most recent one did, but it was voicemail only and the box was constantly full, so I couldn't leave a message. :/

I stalk Craigslist, Hoobly, Petfinder, rescues, humane societies, etc every day...multiple times. Not going to stop. Just frustrated with lack of communication. One or two experiences like that are tolerable, but time after time just makes me nutty. No wonder so many people go to breeders (not just Sphynx lovers, but anyone looking for any pet). But, I guess they're serving their very purpose if they're so busy they don't need more applicants. :)

susi794

Staff member
Breeders do the same thing.....con't know how many times I have heard from people that tell me they are so thankful when I respond to my emails. I think it is only common courtesy to answer your email.

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Breeders do the same thing.....con't know how many times I have heard from people that tell me they are so thankful when I respond to my emails. I think it is only common courtesy to answer your email.

Exactly. Like I *just* got finished telling my step-daughter about the insanely expensive phone and bill we do for her....it takes mere seconds to send a brief text (or email). I personally despise email, but since people insist on using it as their only contact they should tend to it better. My inbox and text blow up all day and I manage to reply to every one. :/

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just heard back from a rescue. : Very long-winded, passionate email that I will reply to tomorrow morning since I've had a drink tonight. ;) Now I feel like kinda like an a-hole. LOL

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So, I ended up giving a long-winded and passionate reply back..because of or in spite of the vodka. ;) Because, you know, obviously, I can't let an email just sit. LOL

KaYoJi

Lairian
'Common courtesy´seems to become a world wide rarity... With al the new technology on communiciation people tend to forget how to start and end a conversation :Dizzy: Sometimes all you need is a simple acknowledgement on your writing but even that seems to be so difficult...

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'll add that I've got a WONDERFUL breeder within an hour of home that I've kind of befriended via email. She's been so kind and a wonderful source of information. She's got beautiful kittens available, but for several reasons, we're trying to exhaust all rescue possibilities before purchasing from a breeder. It's good to know that we have a good option near us if/when I finally lose my patience. :LOL:

It is a good thing you have found a breeder so close to you.
It's hard to find a rescue in the sphynx people get them so fast.
Sometimes breeders retire their sphynx at early ages, if you can
find breeders that does that. Look on their websites, they usually say.
I just would not want one old they have breed to death for the money.
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. Best Wishes finding your sphynx.

AbbieS

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks! I've had one rescue come around and slightly improve in communication. Also, staying in touch with this awesome breeder and learning tons from her is a huge help in the meantime. She's so very kind and very dedicated to getting HCM out of this breed. I enjoy talking with her very much.

I'll say now that the more I think, research, and dream of our future Sphynx-child, the more I want a kitten. I think our current kitties would adopt him/her better (maybe you saw my post where our calico dry-nursed our kitten that wasn't hers until he was bigger than she was. LOL So sweet.). I'm stashing away cash here and there and am preparing for when the perfect kitty introduces him- or herself into our lives.

Back