Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Should I just switch to raw?

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
Hey everyone! So I've just got a new baby and her previous owner had been feeding her on Royal Canin kitten food but it seems to be causing her diarrhea. Her first night at home, it was literally leaking out of her! Would it be best to just put her straight onto raw food? She's also just finished a batch of wormer medication so was wondering if that could cause the diarrhea?

We have an 11 month old Don Sphynx too who can eat anything and not be affected.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can start on a raw diet any time – the earlier the better, actually.

With a raw diet you can either purchase premade raw food specifically for cats, or you can make your own. Do you know which direction you were thinking of going in?

As always, remember that when changing environments and changing food, poop happens!

Cheers!

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone! So I've just got a new baby and her previous owner had been feeding her on Royal Canin kitten food but it seems to be causing her diarrhea. Her first night at home, it was literally leaking out of her! Would it be best to just put her straight onto raw food? She's also just finished a batch of wormer medication so was wondering if that could cause the diarrhea?

We have an 11 month old Don Sphynx too who can eat anything and not be affected.
Hi there , you could try to slowly introduce raw food , this is going from what I’ve read on the forum here
I have two nakid babies one does a solid poop the other is very loose and always as been ( shushhhhhh don’t want upset mr Bagins he can be a bit touchy about private matters ) very very smelly . This sounds quite silly but I always know which one of them as gone potty !!
I am more than sure that our members will give you sound advice
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
You can start on a raw diet any time – the earlier the better, actually.

With a raw diet you can either purchase premade raw food specifically for cats, or you can make your own. Do you know which direction you were thinking of going in?

As always, remember that when changing environments and changing food, poop happens!

Cheers!
For convenience I'd go for premade. Though I've been looking it up and can only find online places that sell 1KG plus? My issue is, I can't fit all of that in my freezer!

TheZu

Lairian
For convenience I'd go for premade. Though I've been looking it up and can only find online places that sell 1KG plus? My issue is, I can't fit all of that in my freezer!
Honestly my favourite recommendation that I use is a compromise between both. We get a premade mix powder to add to our own meat we buy at the local butcher. We've used TC Feline and are now using Better in the Raw (nothing wrong with TC feline, they themselves just recommend shaking it up for your cat with a different premix and I wanted to try BitR). Don't know if the cost to ship your way might be a bit much though.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Amelia Cooper – yes, that is the one thing with making your own. To really benefit, you pretty much need to make enough to fill a freezer! I have an apartment size chest freezer, and about half of it (actually a little more) is devoted simply to cat food. LOL but there are a lot of good premade ones out there. Keep us updated on your babies.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I got the half-sized freezer myself. It is the perfect size for about 3 months worth of food for 2 cats. (I only have 1 though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My first freezer only held about 30 lbs. When I moved a few months ago the movers damaged it so I had to get a new one. My new freezer I think holds 3 cubic feet (which is a lot). I didn't think I would fill it. Then about 2 weeks ago my refrigerator suddenly failed and I had no place to put my human food until my new refrigerator arrived, so I was very happy to be able to fit them in "the cats' freezer." And not only that but I was able to put my refrigerated things in my wine cooler. Sometimes things pay off in ways you didn't even think about.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I made the switch to raw when I adopted a retiree. She was having some serious bathroom issues.
I had planned on making a gradual switch but from the first time she tasted raw she refused to eat kibble again!

I did have to purchase a freezer though!!

Back