Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skinless Cats?!!?

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Something that has increasingly become annoying: People referring to my cats as "Skinless." I dont know if this is just because of where I Live and a Hairless cat is pretty rare around here, But more than a couple people have asked me "Oh, Is that one of those Skinless cats or something??" Is this unique to me or have other people heard of this? Obviously my cat has Skin, I'd hate to see what it'd look like without it.
DSC05545.JPG

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No not unique it happens everywhere I just laugh to be honest I really don't see the point of getting annoyed there's far more important things to place that kind of energy on. As long as my babies are loved by me that's all that matters do you think they care what others think of them all they care about is you :) so as long you love them who cares what others think I'm sure there are things you don't like or understand that someone feels strongly about :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes happens here frequently. I think it is because most have never seen one in person or have never met someone with one...they are a bit taken back so it just pops out of their mouths...lol. I always laugh and say you mean hairless and then they laugh at themselves :)

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Something that has increasingly become annoying: People referring to my cats as "Skinless." I dont know if this is just because of where I Live and a Hairless cat is pretty rare around here, But more than a couple people have asked me "Oh, Is that one of those Skinless cats or something??" Is this unique to me or have other people heard of this? Obviously my cat has Skin, I'd hate to see what it'd look like without it. View attachment 51978
I would just say, "No silly. He's an inside out cat!" And show them this picture...:sneaky:

InsideOutCat.jpg

OwnedByOdysseus

Lairian
Yes I've had people refer to him as skinless also, and ugly, scary, horrible, a skeleton etc. Of course coming from people who haven't met him because once you do it's love at first pet! I find it quite rude but try not to let it bother me too much, it's their loss really. Although, I am tempted to call the next persons human child ugly in retaliation. I don't think people understand that to me he's more then just a pet..

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleopatra (and now Marcus, too) goes all over our city with us, and we have gotten the skinless comment too. And like @Catzzzmeow Patti, I just gently correct them and they usually end up laughing. But when Cleo was a kitten, we had her at our local Home Depot, where another customer saw her in the stroller. He very seriously asked me if she was a pit bull!!!!:woot::ROFLMAO: When we showed him that she was a cat, he had a good laugh about it. I also agree that a lot of people call my guys ugly. I don't see why people have to do that--it's why I am always reminding my high school kids about that old saying, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." On the plus side, though, when most people are introduced to Cleo and Marky, they do fall in love with them, even if the people still think the cats look weird.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
Lol, I Love all of your guys responses :) Its really surprising to hear that its this common, I dont get irritated with them right then and there but after I start thinking about it and more and more people do it. My Cat gets called a Rat too, And Ugly, etc. It is pretty rude of people to throw those names out, But I am forced to hold my tongue. I once went into the vet and a older gentleman said to my cat wrapped in her blanket "Oh, The Poor thing has mange, Good luck with her." He was on his way out the door so I didnt have the time to correct him, But I had a Good Laugh about it. My neighbor thought I shaved my cat, She insisted that it was Shaved and not naturally hairless, Lol. Sometimes people just need to take a walk on the wild side ;)

@admin That is so hilarious! I will have to do that, I know a few people who would freak out, Lol :)
@Natalie porter and @GizmosMommy I totally agree, Rat and Ugly are all terrible names and Althea gets called that alot unfortunately.
@Cleopatra Beers That's so funny! He thought your Sphynx was a Pit Bull, Lol, A really tiny one at that.

Sphnxophelia

Lairian
A shaved cat hahahaha ohh god!!! Its funny my partner said when we went to get our girl "imagine if someone shaved their cat and tried to sell it as a sphynx"
LOL, Thats what my brother said! He said as long as its actually a sphynx and not a shaved cat. I think it would be hard to make a actual haired cat look like a sphynx though, You would have a hard time shaving their paws, etc. But I can totally relate :)

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Skinless cats ! Or any animal for that matter. It conjures up a very strange picture in my head, {a good one for Halloween} but had to laugh . Not heard that term before. But Ive certainly heard people call sphynx ugly and although I get mildly offended sometimes {in my eyes they are a thing of beauty} I just shrug and say each to their own. Sometimes, people dont think before blurting something out. So long as you love them the opinions of others dont really matter.In my line of work, we get told, at least once a week that our "job" is hated, but although it is astonishingly rude , I dont take it personally.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
People always think Frida is a dog for some reason. I don't think she looks like a dog at all. Don't know if anyone has had that experience before. I wonder maybe if it is just the combo of people not used to seeing cats outside and having never seen a Sphynx before? I also have people ask me if she is skinless but I find that most people realize what a stupid comment that is pretty quick. Also people think my Cornish Rex is hairless a lot too. Do people's eyes just not work I wonder?

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yep, add another one for hearing "skinless cat". But like the others, it's calling them ugly I don't like. We did have people wondering what kind of animal Toothy was when we'd walk him outside on a leash. Naked, stubby tail, bulldog-like body, and a cat head. o_O

lolvo

Lairian
Hah, now that I'm starting to take Missy places with me I've gotten the "skinless" comment a couple times... I'm waiting for a chance to make a joke to one of these people about her being boneless too, but she has yet to actually fall asleep whilst riding in my jacket.

I did come across a lovely little old lady working at PetCo the other day who immediately took a shine to both of us, as well as an older guy shopping there who had never seen a sphynx before and was kind of grossed out... until he petted her! He was under the impression that sphynx would feel stubbly and rough, and was soon proved pleasantly wrong.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Back