Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

spayed

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maggie is going to be spayed next month. I was just curious if there is anything i should know to tell the vet.....like anything different from a regular hairy cat, or is everything the same? I know its a month away but Im already nervous & I want to be prepared. thanx every1-Jessica

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wrinkles will be altered after the TICA show and I refuse to use metacam oral.
It is known to cause kidney problems in cats and I know so many people that have cats that got kidney failure from it.
My cats get the buprenorphine oral after they get altered.
Also make sure they do not use ketamine it can kill sphynx.
Kay lost her boy to it and so have other sphynx breeders.
His story is online.
I have been asking Sami for advice with Wrinkles also.
Coco had the metacam shot before she got CRF.
It is the oral that is not safe in cats.

PitRottMommy

Banned
All pain medications, especially those used repetitively, bear a risk for cats. Metacam causes acute renal failure, not chronic. If your girl was diagnosed with chronic, she likely suffered from other problems with was only worsened by metacam. For the record, though, it is clearly stated on the label of ORAL metacam that it's only FDA approved for use in dogs. To be fair, however, there's a risk with practically any pain medication in cats, although I personally have NEVER seen a poor reaction from a young cat post-op with a pain injection.
I'll be truthful, if my cat were undergoing surgery, I'd opt for post-op buprenex (IM, for longer lasting effect) and would go home with oral buprenex. It's more expensive, but the risks to internal organs (liver and kidneys) is lessened.

As a side note, Mews2much, have you contacted the manufacturer? Boehringer Ingelheim almost always contributes to refund (or at least contribute) owners who've suffered ill-effects from Metacam.

lexin77

Lairian
Oh wow!
Ripley is getting spayed next Saturday the 21st!
I am going to the vet that the breeder takes all of her cats to (even though it is quite a drive). I am so nervous for her. I have blocked the whole weekend so that I can stay at home with her. Good advice for the take home pain medication. I will be surely asking for that.
Thanks for all the advice and good luck to Maggie as well!
I'll post after the operation :Woo:

zoes mom

Lairian
Hi Jessica, If you can have the surgery done by laser that is the least invasive way and quicker healing time! It's how my little girl was done at four months. Just thought to throw that in the mix maybe that's how she is getting it done? I'm sure it will go smooth as pie:Smile:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh and Wrinkles too! I will keep all these kitties in my thoughts!

Sophie was still at the breeders when she was fixed- I worried all day until I heard she was home and ok.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo was at her breeders also when she got fixed and I was scared that whole day until I got a email saying she was fine.
It will be a year next week already.
Time sure went by fast.
Cleo and Coco see the vet Nov 23rd and I will make Wrinkles appointment for the week after that.
The breeder said I can do it in between shows.
Wrinkles show is Nov 28th and 29th.
So she will get fixed the week of Nov 30th.
I am telling the vet what drugs are not safe for sphynx and I am scared again.

lexin77

Lairian
YAY I found the post!
Ok so I took Ripley 2 hours away to get spayed up in Hemet California (recommendation of the breeder).
I dropped her off at 7am (yes I cried.. so stupid!)
During the 8 hours I had to kill I went to the gym and the movies (Blind Side I HIGHLY recommend it).
I went to pick her up at 3:30. I paid for pain medication and put her in the car.
She was a bit out of it, from the drugs, but her whole carrier smelled like pee.
I wasn't sure if they let them out or what the deal was.
I took her out of her carrier and let her sit on my lap. Pee smelling and all.
The ride home was fine. We got home and she slept the rest of the night.
I woke up the next day and she was herself again!! I didn't even have to use the pain medication!
Jumping, running, like nothing EVER happened!
I was so pleased that I went to the recommended vet even though it was 2 hours away.
This was about 2 weeks ago and the incision is almost gone. She is the same precious kitty she used to be. YAY!!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I heard Cleo acted like nothing happened when she was altered also.
Her breeder wrote me after that everything was fine.
She still has a scar you can really see.
My other cats were already normal at the vets.
Wrinkles will go after the Dec 19th CFA show.
Her breeder said to wait until then.
I was going to go last week.
I am glad your cat is ok.
I always dread it.

Back