Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx personality vs. Siamese

sassie

Lairian
I to have had siamese basically all my life - from the time i can remeber & through out my teens we had 3 -- and I own one now. They all 3 had rotten behavior for the most part, but still were loving to the one they choose to be. All others were fair game for attack LOL! IDK why my parents kept wanting another when one would pass ect. I adopted a Siamese mix because she looked like the 1st kitten I can remeber *sigh* her actions are no where near any of the others ive been around. Ours now will attack anyone, she doesnt have a favorite. She bites us when its time for dinner (raw/wet food) like she is starving to death, She isnt very vocal at all unless someone else is beating her up! Ive know other ppl that had Siamese and the same "stero-typical" behavior was displayed. It sucks because I know there HAS to be good ones out there to make this breed sought after by families! Ive just not encountered one, and this will be my last Siamese.

I am new to the Sphynx world, Ive yet to have a butt cleaning problem (should I knock on wood?I dont even know what that problem is so if anyone can tell me Id grateful appreciate it! Nor have I had the dirty nail issue, I am having dirty eye & ears Im going to take her in Monday for a basic well check & I planned to bring this up then - until then Ive been very vigilant cleaning a couple times a day (just a wipe here & there) because I know they are prone to infection if it piles up! Im a practiced & would rather nip it before it can occur if possible :)

If your baby has to not be in bed with you, thats sad to me! I know my Bella would be devastated if she couldn't sleep with us. I hope you do the right think for your sphynx & for your family. Banishing her out of the room isnt a positive fix imo -- it sounds almost like your simply miserable & not a fit for a sphynx and there is nothing wrong with that. how was you to know before hand? You can read 1,000,000 things but until you get hands on ya never ever know. God bless, and may peace come over your family soon! *heart*

lynneanne

Lairian
Thanks for all your replies. I am still wondering if it would be best to try and rehome our sphynx. While her behavior maybe "typical sphynx" she is disrupting our entire home. She will not settle down at night and then makes all the other pets annxious so they all start move around and become restless.

I have seriously tried to give her lots and lots of attention . she is best friends with our mini dachshund and they sleep together in the bed on my desk during the day. That is after many minutes of walking, pushing, licking the dog until the dog finally says "ENOUGH" by snarling at her and then she will plant herself!

Tonight we are going to try banishing her from the bedroom which I really hate to do but we will see how she and we do. No one is getting sleep and unfortunately I have to work during the day (my husband is retired and can sleep anytime), and her antics are taking a toll on me because I am tired and not sleeping well. I hate to give up on her or the breed, so I will put her in another room with a warm, soft bed and hope that she doesn't hate me!!

I will keep you posted. . . .

Does anyone know whatever happened with this sphynx? was thinking about her last night when Honeysuckle Potpourri got out of our bed to go use the litter box. For some reason this always makes her really cranky (I guess she's mad she had to get out from under the warm covers) so she starts knocking everything off of the shelves in our bedroom. I mean lamps and all. So then my husband and I have to call out "come here baby" in pleading voices like we are in competition as to who gets to have her back. This happens about twice a night. To tell you the truth WE ARE in competition! She's so warm and sweet (as long as she doesn't have to pee!) and we've done this for seven years and I hope we have at least 13 more. She sometimes "smooges" our sheets with her Sphynx oil too. We call it being anointed. If you love someone you love them.

sassie

Lairian
Does anyone know whatever happened with this sphynx? was thinking about her last night when Honeysuckle Potpourri got out of our bed to go use the litter box. For some reason this always makes her really cranky (I guess she's mad she had to get out from under the warm covers) so she starts knocking everything off of the shelves in our bedroom. I mean lamps and all. So then my husband and I have to call out "come here baby" in pleading voices like we are in competition as to who gets to have her back. This happens about twice a night. To tell you the truth WE ARE in competition! She's so warm and sweet (as long as she doesn't have to pee!) and we've done this for seven years and I hope we have at least 13 more. She sometimes "smooges" our sheets with her Sphynx oil too. We call it being anointed. If you love someone you love them.

oh my gosh - what does smooges mean? :/ I am new to owning a Sphynx, and I dont know this term's - nor have I seen the behavior.

So she really throws a timper tantram when she has to go potty? Only at bed time? Is it a UTI or something? Or is it just her personality? What a bizzare thing imo- Id love to see what Jackson has to say about THAT one :) I enjoy watching his shows Ive learned alot from him ... or the show.

lynneanne

Lairian
oh my gosh - what does smooges mean? :/ I am new to owning a Sphynx, and I dont know this term's - nor have I seen the behavior.

So she really throws a timper tantram when she has to go potty? Only at bed time? Is it a UTI or something? Or is it just her personality? What a bizzare thing imo- Id love to see what Jackson has to say about THAT one :) I enjoy watching his shows Ive learned alot from him ... or the show.

HAHA! You may not call it smooge but you have to have seen it! Its when a Sphynx body oil rubs off on something. We just call it smooge LOL. We bathe her every week but she is very smoogey. She is super sweet but does have a temper and just doesnt like to get out of bed.(neither do I) Sometimes she hides and meows real loud so we will call for her too. Sometimes she slaps everything down if she thinks shes not getting enough attention ( and there's really never enough!) Shes kind of the Miss Piggy of Sphynx cats.

TsumePaws

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Akasha will leave her "Sphynx dirt" on light colored blankets only after it has been like 2 weeks and she is laying in the same spot over and over. She doesn't leave any marks when she lays on a spot only for an hour or 2.

When she needs a bath and is REALLY dirty you can tell because your hands will get progressively darker as you pet her lol.

sassie

Lairian
HUM! Ive not noticed this at all??? Weird - Ive had her 1 week in the AM and I was going to give her a bath then .... could she not omit this oil? Or am I so new I dont know? She mostly sleeps in a cat bed that has a fleece (that is light pink) that came from her old house. She does have some type of smell to her, I cant name it or another ... *shrug*

Does anyone have a picture of more of this? I obvously just am not seeing it. Shes slept under the covers with me on my sheet which is a light peach - still no smudgeS?

ROFL @ your cat knocking everything around thats just freaking funny (Only because its happening to you & not me :p

Hansolospet

Lairian
I grew up with 2 siameses, both execllent smart and friendly cats. Very talkative and always demanded evening cuddles. If I were to choose another breed of cat it would be a burmese ( very similar in temprament I think but more boysterious, I had one 10 years ago and sadly he died)

My Sphynxes do definetly have totally different personalities. Solo is highly intelligent, playful but only like interactive toys and wants to know whats going on all the time, however hes not cuddly, he will occasionally snuggle but its very much on his terms (which makes it a bit more special) and I will shut him out at night if he wakes me at 4 or 5 am, the pacing and settling down at night I dont mind at all, but being nipped on the cheek because he thinks its dinner time, no.

Chewie is a bit lazy, he loves attention, and will always come a cuddle when called, he will play with toys on his own and tell you hes doing it, tells you when hes found a comfy spot to nap in etc etc

sanjulee

Lairian

I have been trying to let things work themselves out to see if we can live in harmony. She has her good days and some really annoying days. I have been watching on the forum to see if anyone is looking for a sphynx in FL. I've talked to my husband and we are seriously thinking of rehoming her. She would probably be happier and so would we. I just don't know if her issues are because we didn't get her as a kitten, that she is a retired show cat and probably spent most of her life before coming to live with us in a crate (which explains why she doesn't cover her poop), or it's just not the breed for us. I am really torn. I come on here and see all the beautiful sphynx and know that she just wants affection but I'm just not sure this is the right home for her. Any suggestions?

I have been trying to let things work themselves out to see if we can live in harmony. She has her good days and some really annoying days. I have been watching on the forum to see if anyone is looking for a sphynx in FL. I've talked to my husband and we are seriously thinking of rehoming her. She would probably be happier and so would we. I just don't know if her issues are because we didn't get her as a kitten, that she is a retired show cat and probably spent most of her life before coming to live with us in a crate (which explains why she doesn't cover her poop), or it's just not the breed for us. I am really torn. I come on here and see all the beautiful sphynx and know that she just wants affection but I'm just not sure this is the right home for her. Any suggestions?

I know this is 3 years old but calling a ,,striving for love and attention,, an behaviour issue really made me sick and angry. I hope this sphynx baby was rehomed...

Tommypickles91

Lairian
I used to have Seamise female for 11 years - NEVER again. Despite all my love, attention, care for her - she was little wicked witch, temperamental, aggressive, tooo independent. Was peeing as oppositional behavior for something she disapprove/dislike. Hissing - that was her way of greeting people. Was chasing around dogs and newcomers.
My adorable Sphynx Yoda is everything completely opposite of my Seamise. I have no issues with him - just "INTENSE NAKED NON-STOP LOVE".
Not all Siamese are bad though. My cat for example is great. You just got to treat them right. Feed them good stuff and change their box often

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tommypickles91 , I grew up with adoptee siamese, they are amazing.! love to see pics. I have all adopted sphynx . I thing they have different personalities. My Heidi the siamese was my heart baby as a child. she would wait on the stairs everynight . she was amazing. hope you share piciss of your babies. hugss n head smooches.

Tommypickles91

Lairian
@Tommypickles91 , I grew up with adoptee siamese, they are amazing.! love to see pics. I have all adopted sphynx . I thing they have different personalities. My Heidi the siamese was my heart baby as a child. she would wait on the stairs everynight . she was amazing. hope you share piciss of your babies. hugss n head smooches.
Here you go! I love Siamese cats. The white one is a Firepoint Siamese and is very talkative

Attachments

• PXL_20240331_202928201.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240331_202928201.MP.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240320_223842709.jpg
    PXL_20240320_223842709.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240412_090657250.jpg
    PXL_20240412_090657250.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 5

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tommypickles91 , melt my heart! they are darling!!! what are their names? all paws are family. Heidi was my first adoptee in our family. she was a big talker :). she would I grew up with all siamese adoptees/rescues.
( samantha with a ear hematoma ) was in a box at a garage sale marked free (wth). she was such a sweetie. My Phibs was well, a wild child used to climb the curtains and leap up to grab our arms.

Back