Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

The verdict is. . . my cat is fat?

Brooke

Banned
Thank you!

I just want to mention that it does depress me that I had no idea. :(

Aw, Dani, don't beat yourself up about it! I can see how it would be easy to end up where you're at with Stella, weight wise. There is a very common conception by a lot of people that Sphynx need to be free-fed due to their metabolism. I happen to disagree, but many people do not. In addition, the breed standard calls for a round belly, and it sounds like the vet may not have taken a few extra moments to explain the difference and just told you she was fat. We tend to instantly get defensive when we hear things like that, especially if this is the first time you're hearing it, despite all the visits you've had at the vet recently...in addition, our sphynx are so darn persistent when it comes to food - if Stella is anything like mine, they act like they're starving all the time, when clearly, they are not! :LOL:

The good news - she's young and active and she should have no trouble losing the weight pretty easily if you just cut back to the amount recommended on the bag. :ThumbsUp:
I'd recommend splitting it into two feedings, morning and evening. And, if she's just getting dry kibble right now, maybe give a little bit less of that and try giving her some wet food with the kibble to make her feel like she's getting a great treat instead of being starved....just a thought!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for clearing that up. I was referring to them as "techs/students" because when I would call in with a question and ask to speak with the specific person who was there during the visit , the receptionist kept referring to that person as a "Tech" and/or "Student".

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In regards to medicine, I've used everything that was mentioned (or sell, or use myself):

I like Malacetic Otic. I just don't like the smell. It's a wonderful cleaner and trying something different may help to remove the wax thats building up.

I also love Allergroom (the smell is good) and Hy-lyt isn't bad either. I'm more of a fan of using Malaseb plagettes on dermatitis than creams...as cats have a tendency to lick them off.

I bought the Allergroom and will look into the Malaseb plagettes. Thanks again for your help!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aw, Dani, don't beat yourself up about it! I can see how it would be easy to end up where you're at with Stella, weight wise. There is a very common conception by a lot of people that Sphynx need to be free-fed due to their metabolism. I happen to disagree, but many people do not. In addition, the breed standard calls for a round belly, and it sounds like the vet may not have taken a few extra moments to explain the difference and just told you she was fat. We tend to instantly get defensive when we hear things like that, especially if this is the first time you're hearing it, despite all the visits you've had at the vet recently...in addition, our sphynx are so darn persistent when it comes to food - if Stella is anything like mine, they act like they're starving all the time, when clearly, they are not! :LOL:

The good news - she's young and active and she should have no trouble losing the weight pretty easily if you just cut back to the amount recommended on the bag. :ThumbsUp:
I'd recommend splitting it into two feedings, morning and evening. And, if she's just getting dry kibble right now, maybe give a little bit less of that and try giving her some wet food with the kibble to make her feel like she's getting a great treat instead of being starved....just a thought!

Lol yes, she acts like she starves. Here's another question. . . since I have two kiddos, what is the best way to get them to eat out of one dish? In other words, am I needing to take Stella into this room and Izzy into another and some how teach them "You eat only out of this and only this amount". lol that's unrealistic. . .But I guess that may have contributed to the chubbiness. I may be putting the right amount of food in each of their dish, but that doesn't mean they aren't eating more than what they needed by traveling to the other cat's dish for their food. . .

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As I said in the email do not blame yourself.
Things happen.
I would say she needs to lose 2 pounds from seeing that picture of her.
My Cleo weighs 7.3 pounds.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks for clearing that up. I was referring to them as "techs/students" because when I would call in with a question and ask to speak with the specific person who was there during the visit , the receptionist kept referring to that person as a "Tech" and/or "Student".

They may also be training veterinary technician students. You'll have to ask to be certain. Every University that I've been two (that equals about 5), they use the setup mentioned above. (And the actual techs DO work closely with them).

However, I've also never seen techs do "pre-certification" work. Though, your state may be the first one. Which is awesome, because everyone can use experience!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Lol yes, she acts like she starves. Here's another question. . . since I have two kiddos, what is the best way to get them to eat out of one dish? In other words, am I needing to take Stella into this room and Izzy into another and some how teach them "You eat only out of this and only this amount". lol that's unrealistic. . .But I guess that may have contributed to the chubbiness. I may be putting the right amount of food in each of their dish, but that doesn't mean they aren't eating more than what they needed by traveling to the other cat's dish for their food. . .

If they are eating out of two bowls, this may actually work to your advantage. This way you can monitor how much each cat is eating.

However, once you switch to a twice a day feeding...I promise...they'll eat out of any bowl/plate/tupperware/paper plate/square of linoleum you service the food on.

Baldwin and Buck are ravenous eaters of raw. It takes me splitting the food in half (half frozen) getting one cats attention with one hand and one with the other and tossing the food at opposite ends of the kitchen. If you think cats cannot catch things in the air with their mouths like dogs can...my cats prove otherwise.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If they are eating out of two bowls, this may actually work to your advantage. This way you can monitor how much each cat is eating.

However, once you switch to a twice a day feeding...I promise...they'll eat out of any bowl/plate/tupperware/paper plate/square of linoleum you service the food on.

Baldwin and Buck are ravenous eaters of raw. It takes me splitting the food in half (half frozen) getting one cats attention with one hand and one with the other and throwing the food at opposite ends of the kitchen. If you think cats cannot catch things in the air with their mouths like dogs can...my cats prove otherwise.

Lol nice! They are eating out of two bowls. I will just need to make sure I am present at this time and make sure they aren't migrating to the other cat's bowl if they are finished before the other one is finished.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Yep! Another benefit from feeding twice a day is that someone has to be home to do it...and that means you can watch! Observation is a beautiful thing when it comes to learning if someone is stealing from the other's bowl!

Brooke

Banned

Baldwin and Buck are ravenous eaters of raw. It takes me splitting the food in half (half frozen) getting one cats attention with one hand and one with the other and tossing the food at opposite ends of the kitchen. If you think cats cannot catch things in the air with their mouths like dogs can...my cats prove otherwise.

Yep, once the kitties realize that what you put down in the morning is all they get until dinner time, most likely they will eat it all right then - chances are each bowl will be emptied and one cat won't have a chance to wander over to the other cat's dish for more. It may take a few tries for them to figure that out, so if you notice one of the kid's isn't eating all the food, just pick the dish up before you leave the house and offer it again at dinner time (with the dinner portion added). Then kitty may be hungry enough to eat it all. They'll eventually catch on! If not, you may try separating them during feeding times, but all four of mine eat in a row, right next to each other with no problems...they scarf the food down so fast, no one has a chance to steal from anybody else!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep, once the kitties realize that what you put down in the morning is all they get until dinner time, most likely they will eat it all right then - chances are each bowl will be emptied and one cat won't have a chance to wander over to the other cat's dish for more. It may take a few tries for them to figure that out, so if you notice one of the kid's isn't eating all the food, just pick the dish up before you leave the house and offer it again at dinner time (with the dinner portion added). Then kitty may be hungry enough to eat it all. They'll eventually catch on! If not, you may try separating them during feeding times, but all four of mine eat in a row, right next to each other with no problems...they scarf the food down so fast, no one has a chance to steal from anybody else!

Thanks! I will begin this in the morning. :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Could all the weight gain be due to the steroids she has been taking ? I know people tend to retain water and pack on A few pounds while taking them! I think once she is off them she will start to slim down.

Brooke

Banned
Could all the weight gain be due to the steroids she has been taking ? I know people tend to retain water and pack on A few pounds while taking them! I think once she is off them she will start to slim down.

Funny, I just thought about that when I woke up this morning.:LOL: ilovemysphynx is right, the steroids she's been taking can cause increased appetite, so yes - that probably did contribute to her recent weight gain because I'm sure it caused her to eat more. That would help explain some of why she's gained so much weight so quickly. You'll still need to cut back on her food to help her take it back off, though.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG! No way, she is not fat! All sphynx have tummys and it is not the cause of her rash, or all sphynxs would have it wouldn't they!!! She sounds awfull! I would ask to see a different vet that respects what you know about the breed. 9lb is not a big weight fo a sphynx at all. Mo weighs 8lbs and he is on the small side!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo is on steroids too, he has put on 1lb over the past few weeks but to me he looks healthy and much better than before. For a male sphynx at over 1yr old he was a tiny 7lb! Steroids incease appetite, thirst and make you put on weight, the vet should of been aware of that!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Increasing weight due to steroids happens more in dogs and humans than it does in cats. Steroids don't cause a retention of water in pets (they aren't quite set up like humans are), they cause an increase in drinking and urination. If the diet is low in sodium, they should retain only a fraction. Suffice to say, her weight is not all due to water, of course.

OP also mentions that "since a few months ago" she has gained weight. Which means this didn't happen within the last few of weeks. Fast weight gain like that is often VERY notable by the owner and they will call their vet without provocation for this very reason. Esp with over a 15% body size increase.

And, if she's not mooching from other bowls and she's eating out of her own, this is secondary to an over-eating problem. But the steroids may contribute to some, if she has free access to food (and she's eating someone else's portions). Steroids don't cause an autonomic weight gain, it increases the appetite which is then seconded with weight gain because of increased intake of calories. The steroids themselves only play a part, if they play any at all, in her weight increase. If this was secondary to steroids, after their cessation or even during a taper, the weight should begin to fall (or have fallen) off, given her calories were the same as they were before her starting the medication. In effect, her diet for maintaining weight.

The reason the vet may not have put "the two together" is because this rarely happens in cats. More specifically ones put on a SHORT stint with steroids. I reiterate, dogs and humans are more likely the sufferers of weight gain secondary to using medication (and steroids are not the only one).

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Increasing weight due to steroids happens more in dogs and humans than it does in cats. Steroids don't cause a retention of water in pets (they aren't quite set up like humans are), they cause an increase in drinking and urination. If the diet is low in sodium, they should retain only a fraction. Suffice to say, her weight is not all due to water, of course.

OP also mentions that "since a few months ago" she has gained weight. Which means this didn't happen within the last few of weeks. Fast weight gain like that is often VERY notable by the owner and they will call their vet without provocation for this very reason. Esp with over a 15% body size increase.

And, if she's not mooching from other bowls and she's eating out of her own, this is secondary to an over-eating problem. But the steroids may contribute to some, if she has free access to food (and she's eating someone else's portions). Steroids don't cause an autonomic weight gain, it increases the appetite which is then seconded with weight gain because of increased intake of calories. The steroids themselves only play a part, if they play any at all, in her weight increase. If this was secondary to steroids, after their cessation or even during a taper, the weight should begin to fall (or have fallen) off, given her calories were the same as they were before her starting the medication. In effect, her diet for maintaining weight.

The reason the vet may not have put "the two together" is because this rarely happens in cats. More specifically ones put on a SHORT stint with steroids. I reiterate, dogs and humans are more likely the sufferers of weight gain secondary to using medication (and steroids are not the only one).

Hmm I look it up before I posted and found that cats experience less side effects from steroids then dogs do but the #1 side effect that I found cats do get from steroids is water retention and severe weight gain?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmmm! Never thought about that. Honestly, when you look at some of her pictures, she appears to be bigger than what she really appears to be in person. But that doesn't mean she hasn't gained weight. I look at that picture Pitrottmommy found and I think "Oh yeah, I can see the chub" but then I look at her in person and I can't tell a thing. But then again, when I look at her I think "You're beautiful!" and not "Lose some of that arse, why don't you?"
They made no mention of a potential weight gain when they put her on it. Even though they had it on records, I mentioned to them in the beginning of the visit that she was on steroids and that helped the inflammation with the yeast infection. Although she was on steroids, I did leave food out for easier access. I did not think it was a lot. I eyeballed the amount as oppose to measuring precisely. Either way, I will do everything I can to make sure she is back to normal. Gotta have a healthy baby! :) Thanks everyone for listening to my concerns!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep, my vet said that steroids play a part in Mo gaining weight which they certainley have in his case. Of course that is mainly because it has increased his appetite and thurst, and like people every cat is different and there are so many side effects to every medication. Steroids effect people very differently. I'm sure that things will work out eventually.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Stella, I know she has been through a lot. Don't blame yourself though! I'm sure you can get her back to a good weight in no time -she's not far off and not on the steroids any more.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hmm I look it up before I posted and found that cats experience less side effects from steroids then dogs do but the #1 side effect that I found cats do get from steroids is water retention and severe weight gain?

I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said it was uncommon. Without knowing the diets of cats being tested, we can't know that sodium doesn't run a factor in water retention. The questions also remains bearing: Are the owners of animals on steroids free feeding? The answer is usually yes unless a medical problem exists. Unless the metabolism is affected, such as hypothyroidism (which is nearly unheard of in cats), the weight gain due to a food consumption. As I said, steroids do not cause an autonomic weight gain (where the body forces itself to gain weight). The steroids cause an increase in appetite (and thirst) whereby the animal consumes more food and therefore gains weight.

I found a link in the past, and I will continue looking for it, where a Board Certified Veterinarian was quoted to say that only 2-5% of cats have reactions to oral steroids. That being said, in the 8 years I've worked in this field...I have seen tons of dogs (and even small pets like rats and hamsters) react to steroids the way we suspect that Stella might've...I have never seen a cat have anything other than a polyuric/polydipsic reaction (drink more/pee more).

As I mentioned, and as you stated, cats almost never have reactions to medications like dogs do. Can you post the link? Is it a forum or website run by a veterinarian? Perhaps the one below that I found?

This is what I found on a website that everyone can view: "The potential side effects associated with steroid use in dogs are numerous, however, cats show many fewer side effects. Side effects can appear with any duration or form of steroid therapy. Each animal responds differently to each type of treatment. However, the number and severity of the side effects are very closely related to dose and duration of treatment. Most of the side effects associated with an effective minimum dose, short-term therapy are mild and resolve once therapy stops. The most common symptoms include increased water consumption, increased urination, increased appetite (weight gain), depression, hyperactivity, panting, and diarrhea". http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2117&aid=505

And an increase weight gain does not mean adding 20% of your normal size...it means tickering up a few ounces. At best, we could call this an extremely uncommon reaction to steroids...if its a reaction at all. To determine that, we'd truly need to know what dose of steroids Stella was on, how long and if they tapered.

Back