Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

TICA Catteries Vs. CFA Catteries

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Back in the early 90s when I adopted my boys, TICA had just begun recognizing the Sphynx breed. I have read somewhere that CFA followed suit in the late 90s.

Although I showed Tanker in a TICA show in Boston back in '92, he hated it so much that I never showed him again. So you can see that I have been "out of the game" for quite a while and feel the need to get up to speed.

I am not asking if one organization is better than the other, but rather from a potential buyer stand point, is there a significant difference between buying from a CFA or a TICA cattery when it comes to health and temperament?

My gut tells me that there is no difference, but I wanted to put this out there to all of you who know better.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
PS- but if you want to show, I think Jackie was saying that CFA judges like one thing and TICA judges like another, but I'm not positive on that... That would make sense though because judges can favor one thing over another.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Yes I did say that.
The standards are a little different.
My cats are registered in both TICA and CFA.
Cleo and Polar come from a TICA judge so they are bred more for TICA.
Cleo was not expected to do well in CFA but she did.
I did show Cleo in CFA and she finaled at every show she was in except her first kitten show.
She also finaled at her only TICA show.
I had to stop showing her because she smacked a judge after she had been clawed in the ring at another show.
I hope she will forget about that one day so I can show her again.
Polar got 4 finals in his first and only TICA show so far including best all breed kitten.
He has been to 2 CFA kitten shows and has not made a final.
He did get 2 best of breeds though.
Wrinkles breeder was registered with both TICA and CFA but she does better in TICA.
The catteries are just as good as each other
Are you looking for a new sphynx?
Let me know what breeders you are thinking up.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I had to stop showing her because she smacked a judge

Ooops. The pressures of show biz are not for everyone.

I'm not officially looking yet. I am hoping to get my hubby's blessing first. Then I'll start the real research. Right now I'm still gathering information to sway my case.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope you can talk him into saying yes.
My husband let me get my 3rd sphynx and he is a dog person.
He said no to a dog though.
Cleo is so close to a grand in CFA.
I am taking her as exhibition right now and hope I can show her in the future again.
It is to bad that Tonkinese hurt her in the ring.
Her paw was bleeding.

Bella07

Banned
I decided to google the difference in show standards for the Sphynx in CFA and TICA, and this is what I found. I think it's interesting, so wanted to share!

"Interestingly enough, differences between the two organi-zations offering the most data (TICA and CFA) seem to be related to their perspective breed standards. Skin quality and degree of hairlessness ranked highest with CFA judges, fol-lowed by ears and then body. In TICA, judges ranked ears above all else, followed by head type/profile and skin quality.

In TICA, the point values place a slight emphasis on the head of the Sphynx with overall head shape and ears dominating the section. The judges' poll within TICA supports this view. While point values in CFA are similar, fewer points are dedicated to the head and the body of the standard describes, in detail, the desired coat. CFA Judges' responses may, then, reflect this elevated desire for coat and skin perfection."

Sphynx Breeders/Enthusiast Newsletter - ARCHIVES - Vol. 1 Issue 1 Breeder / Showing - Mary Perfitt-Nelson: Judging Sphynx Across Associations

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I decided to google the difference in show standards for the Sphynx in CFA and TICA, and this is what I found. I think it's interesting, so wanted to share!

"Interestingly enough, differences between the two organi-zations offering the most data (TICA and CFA) seem to be related to their perspective breed standards. Skin quality and degree of hairlessness ranked highest with CFA judges, fol-lowed by ears and then body. In TICA, judges ranked ears above all else, followed by head type/profile and skin quality.

In TICA, the point values place a slight emphasis on the head of the Sphynx with overall head shape and ears dominating the section. The judges' poll within TICA supports this view. While point values in CFA are similar, fewer points are dedicated to the head and the body of the standard describes, in detail, the desired coat. CFA Judges' responses may, then, reflect this elevated desire for coat and skin perfection."

Sphynx Breeders/Enthusiast Newsletter - ARCHIVES - Vol. 1 Issue 1 Breeder / Showing - Mary Perfitt-Nelson: Judging Sphynx Across Associations

Thanks for passing this along...the difference between emphasis on the coat vs the head and ears is an interesting bit of information.

Last edited by a moderator:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The best thing for you to do would be to talk to some exhibitors in both associations and preferably to some folks who show in both. I don't know about sphynx because I never showed those, but I know there are huge differences between CFA and TICA for Maine Coons. Another thing you may want to consider is where you live; showing TICA is almost impossible if you live in the midwestern US unless you feel like flying a lot.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, thanks for the info...I love to read about stuff like this!

I love to read about stuff like this too. It's the scientist in me.

The best thing for you to do would be to talk to some exhibitors in both associations and preferably to some folks who show in both. I don't know about sphynx because I never showed those, but I know there are huge differences between CFA and TICA for Maine Coons. Another thing you may want to consider is where you live; showing TICA is almost impossible if you live in the midwestern US unless you feel like flying a lot.

IF I ever get a kitten, I probably won't show as I don't have the time to travel. Thanks for sharing this. It's great advice and something to keep in mind for those who are thinking about showing.

I show in both.
Do you find that the judges display the preferences in the article that Bella
posted? Just curious.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is what I have noticed with my cats.
They love Polars ears and face in both TICA and CFA.
CFA does not seem to like hair on the tail.
They prefer less hair.
Most the TICA judges say not to worry about it.
It is allowed in both.
Cleo my oldest sphynx is well liked in CFA she also does not have hair on her tail but she is bred for TICA.
I would try showing the sphynx you get if there is a show near you.

holly_savage

Banned
now here is a show question, I noticed that at most of the CCA (the Canadian side of things) it seems that the same group of judges travel to all the shows, so if the same people always go to the shows, wouldn't that same cats always win?

Is the judge situation the same in CFA and TICA?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks,
I have never been there.
This will be Polar Bares last kitten show.
Then we have the TICA Regional and the Annual both big shows.
When is your next show?

holly_savage

Banned
well I was supposed to be in last Saturday's show but we backed out...Hibou looked like she might be flaring up and I didn't want to stress her out or pass anything along.
That was a CFA show. There is another one fairly close by (in MI) but I don't think the timing will work out. It will have to be either the show at the CNE in August or the one in Guelph, both are CCA.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Christina.
Holly good luck at your next shows.
The CFA show in August has been called off so it looks like I will not show in CFA until Oct.
I have many TICA shows.

Back