Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toilet training problems...

Meow Miss

Lairian
I have some questions for anyone who has toilet trained their cat, I need help!

I have two kittens, one is 6 months (Luca) the other is 8 months (Lulu). I would really like to have them toilet trained as my boyfriend and I hate litter for so many reasons. (I am using Citi Kitty) Getting them to use the tray on the toilet only took one day. After a week or so I tried taking a hole out and Lulu continued to use it but Luca said no way. I took that as Luca being too young and put the hole back in for a few more weeks. This past weekend I decided to try the hole again and after some very close monitoring I got Luca to pee in the tray with a whole in it (Hurray!) However, Lulu has recently developed the idea that she should pee in the tray and poop next to the toilet (even when the litter is clean).

Any ideas why she might be doing this and how to fix it? Any other tips on toilet training would be greatly appreciated.

tessblack

Banned
Hi

I used Litter Kwitter so the trays are all removeable and in stages. I had the same problem at first so I just went very slowly. There were times when Twitch would pee fine but poop beside the toilet so I would go back for about a week till she was comfortable again. After 3.5 months I got to the seat only and Tux would do both but Twitch would only pee and poop on the floor. So at that point I was not going to turn back. A guy at work made a carbon seat cover that just sits on the seat so they have more area to stand and now everything is fine. You just need to take it slow and back track when things go bad. I was ready to give up but just kept trying and now it is great.

It also helps to run a video camera so you can see who is doing what.

Here is the link to there video

Replacement String:

Last edited by a moderator:

Meow Miss

Lairian
Thanks for the tips... Lulu was pooping by the toilet even without any hole in the tray so I don't know what's up with that. I think I may tray to find a toilet lid with a thick rim and see if that helps.

tessblack

Banned
Yeah I put some tupperware dishes with water in them around the toilet and that seemed to help. Just maybe keep putting her up there and praising her and see if that helps.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
When this comes up, I always want to give it a try! I mean come on we all hate litter! I just have no patience for it and can't every seeing admin taking the cat stuff off the potty so he could go:Laugh:

mercurysmile

Lairian
I tried citti kitti too! Bug and Boris are siblings, both were about 6 months when I started (maybe 5.5 months)

it started out fine, until I removed the first little ring... I thought I went slow, 2 weeks before removing the first part...

Bug caught on right away! (pee in the circle? no prob! can I have a treat?)
Boris got distressed, and would sit beside the toiled and yowl at it.

After Boris peed on the bed, the drapes, the closet, and my gym bag, he won his litter box back... We were using pine pellets in the tray though, (we discovered Boris prefers fine litter, like WBCL) and they have both been "fixed" since then, so we are gearing up to try again.

Any tips from those who were successful? Are boys harder to train this way than girls?

tessblack

Banned
I tried citti kitti too! Bug and Boris are siblings, both were about 6 months when I started (maybe 5.5 months)

it started out fine, until I removed the first little ring... I thought I went slow, 2 weeks before removing the first part...

Bug caught on right away! (pee in the circle? no prob! can I have a treat?)
Boris got distressed, and would sit beside the toiled and yowl at it.

After Boris peed on the bed, the drapes, the closet, and my gym bag, he won his litter box back... We were using pine pellets in the tray though, (we discovered Boris prefers fine litter, like WBCL) and they have both been "fixed" since then, so we are gearing up to try again.

Any tips from those who were successful? Are boys harder to train this way than girls?

No Tux was easier to train then Twitch. I found the litter kwitter easy to use and if you buy the intermediate discs as well it makes the steps smaller. I think some cats just will not do it but I just kept trying and going back quit a few times.

tessblack

Banned
When this comes up, I always want to give it a try! I mean come on we all hate litter! I just have no patience for it and can't every seeing admin taking the cat stuff off the potty so he could go:Laugh:

Yeah you really need to have two bathrooms because it was pretty messy that is for sure.

Meow Miss

Lairian
I bought a family toilet seat last night (it has two seats attached to it, one regular and one for toddlers so the whole is quite a bit smaller). They have peed in it so far but I have yet to see if they will poop in it (crossing my fingers!)

mercurysmile - Luca when I first started was about 5 months and when I took the first hole out there was no way in hell that he was going to use it. He started finding other spots in the basement to pee and poop on so I had to cover the whole back up for a few more weeks and just the other weekend I took it out again and he tried very hard to pee in the basement but everytime he popped a squat I picked him up and stuck him on the toilet. Eventually I had to lock him and myself in the bathroom because he couldn't hold it forever and just when I was going to give up he went on the toilet! So, just be patient if you try it again, they might have been to young when you tried before.

tessblack

Banned
Yeah I looked into one of those seats and almost bought one. Was still thinking about doing that to eliminate the carbon cover but they are going so well I don't want to change anything.

Keep us updated.

Ahicks99

Banned
Oh Wow I was just going to start a tread on this topic. Glad I looked first.

I just ordered City Kitty and will be trying in on my Persian and Sphynx in December. So the key is to go SLOW. Right? Any of you have your cats totally trained? Do you still have a litter box around? Once they learn and are doing well will they use any toilet?

Hmm Im like you all and hate the litter box. Im willing to try and try again to get rid of the box.

tessblack

Banned
Oh Wow I was just going to start a tread on this topic. Glad I looked first.

I just ordered City Kitty and will be trying in on my Persian and Sphynx in December. So the key is to go SLOW. Right? Any of you have your cats totally trained? Do you still have a litter box around? Once they learn and are doing well will they use any toilet?

Hmm Im like you all and hate the litter box. Im willing to try and try again to get rid of the box.

If you check the second post on here I explain more. I do not have a litter box in the house because if you do they will use it. I have them in the attic just in case there is an issue. Yes take it slow and be patient. You may have to back track a few times but it is worth it.

Gizzymom

Banned
If you check the second post on here I explain more. I do not have a litter box in the house because if you do they will use it. I have them in the attic just in case there is an issue. Yes take it slow and be patient. You may have to back track a few times but it is worth it.

Hey, Tess... do you ever go to use the bathroom and have to wait until Tux or Twitch are done?? :Hysterical::Hysterical:

tessblack

Banned
Hey, Tess... do you ever go to use the bathroom and have to wait until Tux or Twitch are done?? :Hysterical::Hysterical:

No but my mother in law came over to see them when we were gone. She had to pee really bad so she turned off the alarm and came back to the bathroom and Tux was using it. She is rather clumsy so she went to run for the other bathroom, fell, and then Twitch jumped on her back so she proceeded to crawl to the master bathroom. Oh I would have loved to have seen that!

Gizzymom

Banned
No but my mother in law came over to see them when we were gone. She had to pee really bad so she turned off the alarm and came back to the bathroom and Tux was using it. She is rather clumsy so she went to run for the other bathroom, fell, and then Twitch jumped on her back so she proceeded to crawl to the master bathroom. Oh I would have loved to have seen that!

:Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical:

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Oh what a story!!! lol :ThumbsUp::LOL:

ranalashae

Banned
All this talk about toilet training is making me want to train Nala more and more! I have been wanting to train her, but she was confined to a section of our house because my other cat was just too mean to her. Meeko, my other cat was old and hated other animals and most people, despite Nala being so nice and cute! Meeko unfortunately passed away a couple weeks ago, :Cry: so I want to start seriously thinking about training Nala now. I sure hope she catches on. She is already 17 months old.

tessblack

Banned
All this talk about toilet training is making me want to train Nala more and more! I have been wanting to train her, but she was confined to a section of our house because my other cat was just too mean to her. Meeko, my other cat was old and hated other animals and most people, despite Nala being so nice and cute! Meeko unfortunately passed away a couple weeks ago, :Cry: so I want to start seriously thinking about training Nala now. I sure hope she catches on. She is already 17 months old.

Sorry to hear about Meeko, I am sure despite his meanness you loved him. So sorry for your loss.

Morticia

Lairian
Morticia is toilet trained as well, I used Litter Kwitter. It has 3 stadges, no matter what you use, don't rush the cat into the next stadge and always give a small treat if they go into the toilet - so that they know they're doing good :)
Morticia was complaining all the time and there was some accidents but soon she realized that if she did it on the toilet she would get a treat haha yours will be fine, it just takes time :)

Morticia

Lairian
Morticia is toilet trained as well, I used Litter Kwitter. It has 3 stadges, no matter what you use, don't rush the cat into the next stadge and always give a small treat if they go into the toilet - so that they know they're doing good :)
Morticia was complaining all the time and there was some accidents but soon she realized that if she did it on the toilet she would get a treat haha yours will be fine, it just takes time :)

oh noooo, so sorry for your loss :(((((

Back