Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tried 6 different canned cat foods...only will eat Cesar's dog food

BabyisHerName

Lairian
Im seriously confused, either that or my Sphynx is confused !!! I went out today and bought six of the best canned cat foods out there for baby. I opened each one and put a little bit of each on a different plate on the floor. She sniffed everyone and didn't touch it at all, just left it there. In the mean time she keeps going to the trash can in my bathroom where I throw out my empty Cesar's dog food containers for fancy my greyhound and she kept licking the side of the trash can. She has been doing this for a couple days now. I kept stopping her until today. I opened up a Cesar's dog food for her and scooped out a little bit onto a plate and she went crazy for it. Ate almost have a can !! What do I do? is she allowed to eat dog food? Can it hurt her? Because if it doesn't I would like to start feeding her Cesar's along with her dry food. Maybe I should call the vet?

Any advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Pbinky

Banned
Im seriously confused, either that or my Sphynx is confused !!! I went out today and bought six of the best canned cat foods out there for baby. I opened each one and put a little bit of each on a different plate on the floor. She sniffed everyone and didn't touch it at all, just left it there. In the mean time she keeps going to the trash can in my bathroom where I throw out my empty Cesar's dog food containers for fancy my greyhound and she kept licking the side of the trash can. She has been doing this for a couple days now. I kept stopping her until today. I opened up a Cesar's dog food for her and scooped out a little bit onto a plate and she went crazy for it. Ate almost have a can !! What do I do? is she allowed to eat dog food? Can it hurt her? Because if it doesn't I would like to start feeding her Cesar's along with her dry food. Maybe I should call the vet?

Any advice

I don't think the dog food will make her sick but cats have different nutritional requirements than dogs so to keep her on the Cesar's dog food probably isn't a good idea. Does Ceasar's make cat food?? I think this is going to be trial and error for now. What food did you try thus far?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would say no to dog food being her regular diet! You will find something, What was she eating before you got her?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Cats need different nutritional elements than dogs so giving her dog food doesn't help her besides fill her belly. Try warming it in the microwave for a few seconds first so it smells more

PitRottMommy

Banned

Any advice.

Cats require taurine. That is not usually present in great amounts in dog food, and it certainly isn't added in (except in raw food, which is why I recommend it the highest). Dog food, unless a highly fatty food, is not a present danger...but lower taurine levels are. You risk heart problems (dilated cardiomyopathy) and vision problems by permitting your pet to continue to consume dog food instead of cat food.

I would recommend stopping immediately, you're heading down a troublesome road should you continue. As you might notice, cats are quite picky eaters. If your cat decides she wants only one type of food and she's not going to eat until she gets it...she will throw herself in to liver failure. And cats do this often and quickly (read that to mean in about 3 days).

Simply put, remove the dog food and stop giving her that option. You do not have to feed her wet, she can be fed only dry. And this is preferable over feeding her dog food, especially one that has by-products, salt and other questionable items in it.

Ideally, you can find what type of protein is mainly in the dog food and find a cat food that is comparable in protein that she will eat.

BabyisHerName

Lairian
wow..thanks pittrottmommy.....You are one smart lady. We should all have your phone number on our "in case of emergency" list on our fridges...I totally cut her off the dog food. She only ate about a tablespoon so I'm hoping she will be ok. I actually just got home a couple hours ago and literally purchased every can of cat food they had. I bought close to 10 more brands. so tomorrow will be judgment day. On a brighter note!! I found a treat she likes. It comes in a purple bottle and it's called whiskers crunchy's....she seemed to like them. I also got her teeth cleaning crunchy's but she didn't like those. She seems to be very particular on what she eats. I'm so happy with her....I was never a cat lover, to be honest I really didn't ever want a cat. I had a cousin in Europe that swallowed a cat hair and it landed on his lung and got infected and killed him. So I basically didn't like cats. But once I laid eyes on baby I knew she wasn't an ordinary cat. She was the coolest creature I've ever seen. Most of my mom's regular cats never showed me any emotion. All they wanted was to be fed. Baby is always following me, sleeping on me, licking me; all she cares about is that me and Ashley love her.....Anyway. I have no idea why I just went into all that, lol....Thanks again for the advise!! NO DOG FOOD EVER !!!!!!

-Jon

skudra

Lairian
I was never a cat lover, to be honest I really didn't ever want a cat. I had a cousin in Europe that swallowed a cat hair and it landed on his lung and got infected and killed him. So I basically didn't like cats.

hahaa, same here. :LOL: I'm a dog lover, but since we have no space for a dog (cuz I love big ones), I've always liked sphynx for their look, and when I read about their character, I knew- it isn't a cat! :ThumbsUp:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had a cousin in Europe that swallowed a cat hair and it landed on his lung and got infected and killed him.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry about your cousin. When I was younger and I wanted a cat my mom wouldn't give me one because of all the korean folklore about them being evil. The story she always told me was about this kid who died because he swallowed to much of his cats hair while he slept and basically choked to death from a hairball. I seriously didn't believe her but after hearing about your cousin she might've been telling the truth.

Back