Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Update on George's health

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
George is home from the vet now, and after the vet tested George's feces and blood, no intestinal parasites were found. Therefore, he really gave no diagnosis.(grrr) The vet said George's diarrhea could have been for many reasons.(wow! I could have figured that one out!) Not only did the Dr.'s diagnosis annoy me, but he wanted to put George on a better diet. This comment offended me, and I quickly snapped back that I have been giving George some of the best cat foods out there with no fillers or by products. He ended up giving George a shot of Centrine( without explaining what it was for!) and prescribed George to only eat 2 cans of I/D Feline 5 1/2 oz cans of cat food a day, plus 1/4 Amforal Tab twice daily. The day George came back home, I decided to feed him baby food until the the next day, and then start his new prescribed routine. That night he had no diarrhea, and hasn't had any except for tonight when I feed him some of his Spots Stew.(I'm thinking that was the culprit???) I feel so bad because 2 cans of cat food is not enough for a Sphynx that weighs 9.75 pounds!(a big boy for 6 months) He has been crying for food like crazy, so to hold him over I have been giving him baby food and Merrick before Grain wet food.(Chicken) Does anyone know what the Centrine shot and the Amforal tab was for? Thank you all for the kind words!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Im sorry to hear about George, I hope he feels better! Please keep us updated.:ThumbsUp: Centrine is used to treat diarrhea, vomiting or gas gennerally. The Amforal is also a treatment for diarrhea and Gives relief from the symptoms of diarrhea. Hope this helps!:Laugh:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm wanting to put George on Merrick Before Grain dry and wet cat food after his week of treatment. On their website they sell a 1 pound bag of food. I thought it would be smart to buy the 1 pound bag, just in case he reacts to it so I dont waste more money. I wasted money on large bags of Wellness Salmon and Spots Stew.(neither were cheap)

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
George is home from the vet now, and after the vet tested George's feces and blood, no intestinal parasites were found. Therefore, he really gave no diagnosis.(grrr) The vet said George's diarrhea could have been for many reasons.(wow! I could have figured that one out!) Not only did the Dr.'s diagnosis annoy me, but he wanted to put George on a better diet. This comment offended me, and I quickly snapped back that I have been giving George some of the best cat foods out there with no fillers or by products. He ended up giving George a shot of Centrine( without explaining what it was for!) and prescribed George to only eat 2 cans of I/D Feline 5 1/2 oz cans of cat food a day, plus 1/4 Amforal Tab twice daily. The day George came back home, I decided to feed him baby food until the the next day, and then start his new prescribed routine. That night he had no diarrhea, and hasn't had any except for tonight when I feed him some of his Spots Stew.(I'm thinking that was the culprit???) I feel so bad because 2 cans of cat food is not enough for a Sphynx that weighs 9.75 pounds!(a big boy for 6 months) He has been crying for food like crazy, so to hold him over I have been giving him baby food and Merrick before Grain wet food.(Chicken) Does anyone know what the Centrine shot and the Amforal tab was for? Thank you all for the kind words!

Centrine is an antispasmodic used for diarrhea, it reduces the activity in the instestines.
Amforal is used to treat bacterial infections associated with diarrhea.

You might want to start searching for a vet that you feel more comfortable with that will take the time to explain to you what/why they are doing things, you should always LOVE your vet!

Back