Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Water bowl issue

ckutkuhn7

Banned
As most of you know I recently moved into a new home a little over a month ago. Prior to our move Snuffie drank from her water dish with little to no issues. Only issues we ever encountered was her knocking her dish and some water would splat out. No big deal. When we moved and I moved her, I emptied her water dish and put it in her carrier with her other stuff, we came to the new house, I set her stuff up, filled her bowl back up and what not. She hasn't drank from it since! I've washed it, I've tried new bowls, different colors etc. Now she goes to the bathroom, jumps into the sink and meows until I come turn the water on, she gets her fill and then she is done. lol Its the craziest thing, her bowl was good enough for her before we moved,,any ideas why it isn't now? Oh, and if I take water out of her bowl and put in my hand she will drink it!!! What is up with that??! lol

PS...Im the only one that can turn on the water in the bathroom. If someone else does it she will not drink!!

Last edited:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I haven't experienced the same thing, but one of my guys would completely knock over the bowl after we moved. I put out several bowls all over the house & the one he drank from (under the cabinet in the dining room) stayed. Maybe you could try something like that??

ckutkuhn7

Banned
yea, I might give that a shot..I did try putting her dish in the bathroom sink and that worked and she would drink from it but then its in the way and we had to take it out everytime we wanted to wash our face or hands etc,,so it didn't work out for a long period..I will try the several locations thing tho and see how it goes. Thanks.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Man, I've got that problem. Except I have to put a little bowl next to my bed on my night stand. If I have my own drink on my night stand, he'll drink from it. Even if it's a soft drink. He still drinks from the toilet sometimes. He drinks from everything but his actual water bowl.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Man, I've got that problem. Except I have to put a little bowl next to my bed on my night stand. If I have my own drink on my night stand, he'll drink from it. Even if it's a soft drink. He still drinks from the toilet sometimes. He drinks from everything but his actual water bowl.

I keep the toliet lid closed because we use that blue chemical stuff and I dont want a sick kitty so she needs to learn that she isnt so special to drink from her bowl!! lol She will drink our sweet tea if we have it in a glass or what not but we are mostly canned soda pop drinkers so she can't really get into that so she demands the bathroom sink for some odd reason. I'm going to try the multiple bowl thing tomorrow and thru next weekend and see how it goes.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I am mean because if I had this issue I would just offer the bowl and not give in. I don't think she is "dumb" or "stubborn" enough to dehydrate herself. I don't know though, I would just leave one bowl out where I wanted it and call it good.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
So I am mean because if I had this issue I would just offer the bowl and not give in. I don't think she is "dumb" or "stubborn" enough to dehydrate herself. I don't know though, I would just leave one bowl out where I wanted it and call it good.

LOL...I am such a softy,,its not in me to do that, I will once I lay out all the bowls tomorrow but really,,this cat is so spoiled,,if I thought she could eat from a silver spoon without hurting her teeth I'd probably hand feed her.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hehe mine are spoiled in some ways, but some behaviors I do not tolerate. My cats have to be locked in the bedroom at meal times because they are so naughty.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's amazing how cats are so different. Butterball could care less about someone stealing his food or treats. I want to get another kitty so bad. I think Butterball would take it right under his wing.

I don't have the heart to close the toilet bowl lid because I do think Butterball is dumb enough to dehydrate himself. Well, probably not but if leaving the lid up means he drinks more water then so be it. Besides, I don't think toilet water is that bad for kitties. Gross yes but I seriously doubt he'll get sick from it. Tom cats probably drink much worse.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They don't fight with each other its more an issue with getting right on the table and trying to eat off the plates. They have no shame. I have to lock them up when I am cooking too because they will eat right out of a hot pot.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you tried her with a water filter bowl, drinking fountain for cats? She might like that if she has taken to running water? My bengal will only drink from running water, but Mo likes a normal bowl! But they do chop and change. At one stage they both always wanted to drink out of my glass, and then knock it over!

I noticed that when I was staying at my mums they wouldn't drink out of there normal bowl, maybe it's because of all the changes with you moving home? Who knows, there are funny little creatures!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They don't fight with each other its more an issue with getting right on the table and trying to eat off the plates. They have no shame. I have to lock them up when I am cooking too because they will eat right out of a hot pot.

Hahah, I feel dumb now. I misunderstood.

Butternuts never gets on the counters and is very good about not begging for human food. I have a theory of why he does it too. I was eating some pizza one day and a jalapeno fell off. He tried to eat it and spit it right back out and made funny faces for an hour. Ever since then, he has never gotten into my food. He still occasionally come over for a sniff though.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
How strange,:Dizzy:
Try putting the water bowl, if possible, on the counter near the sink and be sure to show her there is water in the bowl and every time she wants a drink from the sink try enticing her to the bowl by a gentle splashing with one finger. I hate to say it, but once they get their personal water fountain, nothing else is the same!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hahah, I feel dumb now. I misunderstood.

Butternuts never gets on the counters and is very good about not begging for human food. I have a theory of why he does it too. I was eating some pizza one day and a jalapeno fell off. He tried to eat it and spit it right back out and made funny faces for an hour. Ever since then, he has never gotten into my food. He still occasionally come over for a sniff though.

:LOL::LOL: I can just imagine the faces he was pulling! Mo used to be really bad for swiping human food, he would run off with half your sandwhich in his mouth growling as he went, but he doesn't do it now, he hasn't done it for months. He isn't interested most of the time. Maybe he had a jalapeno or something without me knowing! I prefer him this way though.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cats all are so bad. If you are sitting on the couch eating something they all sit behind your head. Juno licks my hair, and Jack and Ben try to get on my shoulders. They are always on the counters, I can't keep them off. They have food all the time, they just act starving.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you should get one of the cat water fountains too....my cats love it...
Nofuratu also needs a bowl on my bedside table that he drinks from at night though. He will sit there and meow until some one fills it....its pathetic....
another trick instead of the water fountain is to pour some tuna juice in the bowl you want them to drink from...just to get them interested again

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Update!

I'll start first by saying I really don't want to spend a potential $50.00 or more on a bowl that may not end up working for her. Not to mention her hot pink plastic bowl was good enough at our old house so why isn't it now?

I placed 5 bowls around the house this morning. One in her favorite window, she drank from it twice that I know of. One on the counter by the other window she sits at in the kitchen, she drank from it once that I know of. One in our room, her new stainless steel water dish by her food and one in the bathroom. She went to the bathroom twice today wanting me to turn the water on. I went in and took her off the sink and showed her where her bowl was and made the water ripple so she could see it, she wasn't interested. Even rubbed my wet finger on her mouth. Both times she turned up her nose and went to another room. I know she is drinking out of two of them atleast so I'll keep this up for the remainder of the week. Hopefully by then she will have some favorites and I'll know what she is doing!! lol

Thanks again for everyones input.

Inferno12

Banned
I have major water issues with Johnny but no food issues....go figure the tubby guy doesnt want people food :Dizzy::Dizzy:

If I am eating on the couch with the plate on my lap, he will use his nose to move it up so he can lay on my lap under it. he could care less whats on the plate. He is a fat man but not because he eats anything he isnt supposed to. That is unless its Chocolate milk :Surprise:

When it comes to water, he prefers the toilet. I have started closing the lid because I have used a root treatment that has to be put down the toilet and he gets so mad at me. He will sit in the bathroom and cry at me forever :Angry: He HATES to drink from the water dish that the other animals drink from. He wont dehydrate himself but he makes this horrible face when he has no other option to drink from the filth that the other animals drink from (its only offensive to him). I am such a softy that this morning I took a cup that will now be dedicated to him for water and he is soooo happy now. He has his own glass to drink from. My other Sphynx was the same way. He would have his own glass on my night stand and thats the only thing he drank from. My ex would dump the glass and get rid of it any time I was gone :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Anyway....why are they such snobby and spoiled animals ???

When I have time I will have to video tape it for you guys. Its pretty funny :LOL::LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
By the way - whoever suggested placing multiple bowls around the house - it worked...she doesn't beg for me to turn on the water anymore!! Every now and then she will but not like she used too!! So thank you 2sphynxgirl!!!!! She hasn't picked a favorite but atleast I know she has plenty of water at all times!

Treespirit

Lairian
I see this issue is potentially resolved, but I thought I'd put in my two cents. =) Maybe similar to you showing her the ripple in the water, try pouring water into the water bowl (from a water bottle or other such vessel) with some water already in it (so that it is like a faucet over her bowl)while still in the place you want the bowl. Maybe it'll be enough to say Hey, this is the same as the stuff from the faucet.

Sometimes we have to do this for our dog when he has over played and is so exhausted but refuses to take a drink! So we pour a little extra water into his bowl to remind him of the water.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG, it's like my cat bed but with water:Dizzy: What is going on with these cats???

I have no answer, just wanted to say that I have one cat who will only drink from the bathtub, lol, she watches you shower and as soon as you step out, she jumps in and laps up the leftover water, it's creepy and gross but she has been doing it for 5 years now:Surprise::LOL:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you're using tap water then it's quite possible that the water tastes different in your new house (yes, even if it's the same city it can taste different because of the house pipes). So try using distilled water and see if that makes a difference.

Now see, that was a smart and helpful answer, lol, completely unlike mine!:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
If you're using tap water then it's quite possible that the water tastes different in your new house (yes, even if it's the same city it can taste different because of the house pipes). So try using distilled water and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks marlene..I did consider that and I even checked with our water company but we only moved two blocks from our old place and we are on the same water main so that was very unlikely.. Good thinkin tho!!!:ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
OMG, it's like my cat bed but with water:Dizzy: What is going on with these cats???

I have no answer, just wanted to say that I have one cat who will only drink from the bathtub, lol, she watches you shower and as soon as you step out, she jumps in and laps up the leftover water, it's creepy and gross but she has been doing it for 5 years now:Surprise::LOL:

Snuffie does that too sometimes...weird cats! lol

Back