Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What food brands does everyone use?

Lindsayp

Lairian
Joined
Nov 2, 2015
Messages
8
Points
4
Can anyone suggest a dry and wet food that will work for my Mewtwo, he clearly has a very sensitive stomach, he was on royal canin fro, the breeder but they advised me to switch as they said it was not a very good food, the owner of my local pet store sold me a good brand that was free of animal biproducts grain and corn, it didn't sit well on his belly either, he rarely has solid stools, they aren't super funny but they are on the softer side, I have done some research and cannot find anything, I have seen some people talk about science diet but I see that it had a recall in 2014 so I do not want that. I don't know if I should take him off dry food completely and switch to wet food. As of right now he only gets dry food. Any suggestions would help. My guess is that he's just very sensitive to rich foods
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
23,722
Points
643
Can anyone suggest a dry and wet food that will work for my Mewtwo, he clearly has a very sensitive stomach, he was on royal canin fro, the breeder but they advised me to switch as they said it was not a very good food, the owner of my local pet store sold me a good brand that was free of animal biproducts grain and corn, it didn't sit well on his belly either, he rarely has solid stools, they aren't super funny but they are on the softer side, I have done some research and cannot find anything, I have seen some people talk about science diet but I see that it had a recall in 2014 so I do not want that. I don't know if I should take him off dry food completely and switch to wet food. As of right now he only gets dry food. Any suggestions would help. My guess is that he's just very sensitive to rich foods
Hello and welcome! Any food change can cause runny poo and as I saw in another post you had some bloody stool as well? Thats not uncommon with food change. We do use Science Diet and have never had issue. We feed both wet and dry. Has your vet ruled out Giardia? Its not uncommon to just get treated for it to be safe. Here is a good poll on food brand - what brand cat food do you use? :)
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
34,030
Points
643
Hello and welcome to you and Mewtwo! I feed my boys raw food cause one of them has a very sensitive tummy. Before I switch to raw I use Royal Canin hypoallergic and I still feed them this during daytime if I'm away for a few hours. This food works good for Toa's sensitive tummy.
I also heard great stories about grain free food but I don't know wich brand. If I'm correct @Catzzzmeow does feed her cats grain free. Maybe she can advise about the brand.
Hope you'll find the food that works for Mewtwo!
 

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
25,203
Points
673
Izmae, My Queen, prissy priss. Developed a issue with poultry.
I did research on food. Even some food, whether it's poultry or not will still have chicken fat or broth.
So I really had to do research. There is this new food, grain free. It's Natural Balance LID ( limited ingredients diet )
I use Green Peas and Salmon. I looked at the Green Peas and Rabbit, but, it had chicken fat or broth I can't remember
now.
But, she has done amazing on it. There are a lot of variety's I highly recommend it.
It's in dry and wet. Here is a link at Chew's but, petsmart carries it.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet - Free Shipping at Chewy.com
 

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Nov 18, 2013
Messages
1,373
Points
323
I feed Frida a raw diet because she has a yam allergy and had chronically runny stool until I switched. My foster kitties get either first mate or recently boreal. Both are wet foods. These are supplied by the rescue organization and are selected because they are healthy and reasonably priced. The boreal has no carbohydrates added so it is very species appropriate. Both of these foods are Canadian brands so I don't know if they would be available elsewhere but my advice would be to select foods that are low in carbohydrates and have meat derived proteins and a high water content. This will make for a lean healthy cat. :) good luck and I hope the issues are solved soon!
 

MoMookie

Lairian
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
5
Points
4
I feed my two Purina EN. It's a prescription diet for sensitive tummies. It's not the cheapest but before this I constantly had runny poop and vomit! Instantly stopped on this diet!
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
30,608
Points
653
Sensitive tummy kitty here too
Feeding her Fromm Game Bird recipe
Buy 12 get one bag free at chewy amd no recalls with this family company that has been around 100+ years
Amd very helpful when you call them

Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Game Bird Recipe Dry Cat Food, 15-lb bag
Perhaps on line I'm your area too

We have done several food trials - she has been on this for about 8 months
She had IBD and does wonderful on Fromm Game Bird -
No vomit or poo issues
She refuses raw or any canned food
I give her fresh water changed twice a day and she likes her fountain water ( change water and wash out fountain and pump taken apart every 2-3 days or gets slimy)

I find feeding in a raised dish also helps
 
Back
Top