Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What is the reaction when people see your Sphynx?

What is the reaction of guests when first meeting your Sphynx?

• Love em!

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Hate em!

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Loss for words?

Votes: 138 61.9%

• Total voters

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The first time my maids saw Emma they asked if my new dog was pregnant :Surprise:

I was very upset because Emma is a CAT and she is not FAT :Angry:

:LOL: I had to laugh!

letenele

Lairian
Usually it's "I've never seen one before" followed by "can I touch her?" and then "ooh she feels weird, and warm"
My sister dubbed Wen a monkeybatratcat.

uzska75

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So far most who have met Fern love her and think she is cute.
However the other day at the vet's office a woman in the waiting area said "Eww that's a hairless thing, so ugly and strange." No what gets me is this woman had two cat. You would think a cat owner would know better than to say that about another person's baby. How would she like it if I went up to her and called her cats morbidly obese (which they were) and ugly?
I don't get it. I guess I'll have to grow tougher skin and try to not let stupid people's comments bother me.

lunasmum

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Luna hasn't been out unless it's a vet visit so far it's been rainy and miserable her since may, hopefully that'll be changing soon, but the vets all call her a "magnificent animal" and the admin girls at my new vet were squealing like they'd just seen the worlds Cutest new born baby lol

I did have a child point and say "look mummy at the ugly cat, what happened to it" the mother looked at me as if to say yuck and that I must have done something to her to make her loose her furr lol, there's always going to be ignorant people

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well my best friend Eileen (sense kindergarten) HATES all cats and there is no exception to Curly and Hairry... She calls them "those cats" and of course they adore Eileen. I had a guy at work that thought I was devil herself for having hairless cat and wouldn't even talk to me (I am the office manager go I would talk to him so he had to reply to me). I have friends that would never have a cat as a pet but love Curly and Hairry to death.

One of my favorite past times is taking Hairry for rides in the car and watching people almost crash there car because they are looking at him while he sits looking out the window.

Most people love them though and I get the "can we touch them" or the "there so soft".

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aside from one rude pet owner at the Vet's office and one Rude person at Petsmart, most people are pretty accepting of Elvira.
Oh, and my sister's best friend makes me mad. Says Elvira feels like "a part of the male anatomy" :Dizzy:

I've only ran into 2 people out of hundreds that it didn't like her. They said she was creepy. But everyone else loves her. I'll take her to the store and everyone wants to pet her and hold her and get their picture taken with her. She's got the routine down now. She just sucks it up and even gives most people kisses. It's amazing how bright eyed and excited people get when they see her. It makes my day and I know it makes DG's (my sphynx's nickname lol) day too.

Gensen

Lairian
Well during a visit to the pet store for a harness tonight the lady oin front of me said and I quote..."I think if I saw that in the aleey I'd run" :Angry:
Good for her she doesn't have to worry he is not an "alley cat" he is an indoor price living the life... he wouldn't dare be caught dead in an alley! lmao!:LOL:

Olive60386

Lairian
I have heard all of the above! My brother in law calls Olive scrotum. And he calls my Tortie Pepper carbon paper because she looks like she has been rolled in black carbon paper! I have been asked did you shave them? Will they grow hair? Lol! Or oh they are skinless! I say oh no they have skin.....that could be quite messy if they didn't ! Lol! Most people love how they feel and their huge ,wonderful personalities after they get used to them!

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frank is almost the same color as my Chihuahua Lexy. If you see them running together they do look alike. When people come to my house they want their picture taken with Frank. They say he is nothing like they thought he would be. What did they think?

elleinad8050

Lairian
i always think the most ridiculous question is: Did you shave him?!

like um, no. i did not shave my cat in its entirety, he actually looks like this all the time. that just seems so ridiculous and dangerous. i just think ppl arent even sure what is happening when they see a sphynx for the first time. :LOL::LOL:

NakedNorasMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i always think the most ridiculous question is: Did you shave him?!

like um, no. i did not shave my cat in its entirety, he actually looks like this all the time. that just seems so ridiculous and dangerous. i just think ppl arent even sure what is happening when they see a sphynx for the first time. :LOL::LOL:

Just say, "no, that's too much trouble so we used laser hair removal." And watch their eyes bulge out! Lol

farleys

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Funny responses. I'm curious what my family will think. My twin sister is exited and she loved the hairless dog I fostered a couple years ago. However my little sister is quite disgusted . She said she wont come over anymore if I get one. Lol. She has never seen one in real life. So I hope she changes her mind once she meets him. Then a good friend of mine who is my little sisters best friend loves them as much as I do. I think she is even as exited as I am. My mom thinks I'm getting him cause he is so ugly I must feel sorry for him lol. Anyway it will be interesting to see how everyone feels once they actually meet him.

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have had people refuse to enter my home unless Ra is put in the bedroom, because he creep s them out. Mostly though, I hear, "oh, it's that cat from Austin Powers" or, " is your cat sick or something" ?

My favorite story recently was when we had our dining room table delivered. One of the delivery Guys was on the floor putting the legs on the table when Ra walked up to "help" him. The delivery guy glanced over at Ra, did a double take, then jumped 3 feet off the floor. Ra was looking at him the whole time like, " man, what is your problem"?!:LOL:

Psyduck

Lairian
I've taken my kitty Yoda to a few trips to the park where a lot of people have asked me what kind of a dog breed it is and if it is a chihuahua. All of them usually just aw and pet him. It makes me feel happy that a lot of people actually like him, we are used to getting a lot of stares from cars too but probably mostly because whenever he is tired he will just sit on my shoulder while we walk.

Savana

Lairian
What is the reaction of guests, family members or friends when first laying eyes on your Sphynx?
Please explain your answer of why they love em, hate em, or at a loss for words!
I get a lot of negative remarks when people only see pictures, however when they meet Demetri and see how outgoing and unique he is; they love him. I think it's just people reacting to something they have never been exposed to..... I guess. It does get old hearing comments like "giant rat" or "what is that?". I try not to take offence, but when you spend as much dedication, time and money as we have you don't want to hear comments like that about your child. :)

RNsphynxlovr

Lairian
I have found that most people talk about how "ugly" these cats are, yet they have NEVER been around them in person! Pictures do not do this breed any justice! Once my little kitty haters see my baby boy in person they ALL fall in love and become sphynx fans :)

When we go to Petsmart the entire store swarms Jakhari, totally enamored. Everyone wants to touch him and take pictures of him. I don't blame them, afterall he IS such a handsome little boy :)

About a month ago I was getting service set up with Sparkletts... the delivery guy came in the door and Jakhari came running up meowing, all excited about having a guest. The delivery guy started laughing and said "Is that a giant rat??" :( OMG I have never in life wanted to slap someone as much as I did right then. My poor baby Jakhari.. how dare anyone speak like that about him.. and in front of him at that!! It hurt my feelings lol.. The delivery guy laughed and said he was kidding.. but I was still super offended! How dare he :(

Edited to add: I posted before reading these responses.. and now that I am reading I cannot stop laughing!!! I am so amused yet offended over the stories of other peoples responses! Honestly when people ask "what is that" ..... lol are you kidding me?! Sheeeesh people!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some say if I shave my cat will it look like yours (NO)!!!!!!!
Most are amazed at how they feel I have really naked to velvet feeling.
Most think their feet are cool so do I!:Wink2:
some people think that they are weird/some think cool.
Ive heard Apollo (my elf cat ) looks like a gargoyle (he does)
Most are amazed how long their tails are!!
Most are amazed how hot their bodies are!
People don't realize how very different they can look (especially colors) like lilac.
People don't know that they rather be with a human than another kitty (Velcro cats)
Some people think they look evil??????????:Shok:
No one realizes they originated in Canada.
People don't realize they require more care and maintenance regardless if they don't have hair.
People think you can't be allergic to them (I just got a rehomed kitty because a owners boyfriend was highly allergic.

lizziepickle

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
the biggest reaction i get when they meet worm or see pics i post on facebook is:
omg she is ugly!
ewww i dont want to pet her!
i could NEVER own one of those

this just breaks my heart!!! WORM just knows that she is b-e-a-utiful and she struts her stuff..
but normally by the time they are leaving they want to hold her and they just love her.

and i have friends who have met worm stand up for her when people post nasty comments on her photos!

Back