Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What to feed my kitty

J

Jinxlover

Hello, I'm sure this has been ask 1000 times but I'm going to ask one more time..:Laugh:

I'm not in love with the brand for food the breeder is feeding my kitten. I was wondering what you guys feed.I have never had a kitten before and I want a healthy kitten/cat and I am a bit of a "kibble snob" with my dogs...lol.. also how would I change over to the new food? All at once or mix it a little over time... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

PitRottMommy

Banned
First things first, choose a good food. A good food can be characterized by no fillers, no by-products, no harmful additives and a company that has never had any food recalls. I'm not a big fan of kibble and prefer raw for my own companions, however, here are some brand names that you will find are excellent choices: Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijin, Merrick, etc.

Switching food should be done like this:

Day 1: 25% new food, 75% old
Day 2: 50% new food, 50% old
Day 3: 75% new food, 25% old
Day 4: 100% new food

If your companion develops soft stool during this time, slow the switch down and try adding a tsp of canned pumpkin (no sugar in the ingredients) to the diet twice daily until firm stool appears. Then, continue with the slow switch.

J

Jinxlover

That's funny, I feed my dogs TOTW. I did not even know they made cat food. Thank you very much my sweet little Jinx will thank you also...

dragynflye

Lairian
last time i really researched kibble, innova evo was new, the first grain-free kibble, and the best thing on the market. i still feed it to my elderly ferrets, and will never switch them, because ferrets imprint on a food and are difficult (if not impossible) to change.

the point of this, is i was planning to feed my sphynx (when i get him/her) evo, as well. that way i wouldn't have to buy another brand of food. i'm just wondering if evo is still considered a good food, or if i should look for something different?

I have seen quite a few cases where the cats fed EVO kibble had consistent diarrhea for months. After taken off of the EVO, it resolved. I would not use it for cats. Dogs, fine, ferrets, fine. Cats, it's just too rich and lacking some ingredients I feel should be in there.

I prefer Nature's Variety Instinct(not the Prairie, too many carbs). Taste of the Wild is great and inexpensive for as high quality as it is. NV makes a nutritionally complete raw diet too, in a variety of protein sources(lamb, chicken, venison, bison, rabbit).

You can always use a kibble as the staple and supplement with raw. I do this with Baron and he's doing great. Over 10lbs and not even 2 years old yet :)

Do you have ratties too??

dragynflye

Lairian
yup, i have ratties, too! the hairless in my avi is amy, one of my past girls.

thanks for the info! i've fed my dogs raw in the past, but stopped while i was pregnant. i couldn't handle the raw meat without wanting to hurl. my daughter's almost two now, and i just haven't had the time, space, or real urge to go back. i hadn't considered supplementing, though, that's something i'll have to think about. it would give me a good excuse to finally get the freezer i've been wanting! hmmmm.....

Back