Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What type of food do you feed your Sphynx?

What type of food do you feed your Sphynx ?

• Only wet

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Only dry

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Dry and wet

Votes: 67 68.4%
  • Only raw

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • Only grain free

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As far as I'm aware my breeder is giving them as much variation as possible.
Kibbles, table scraps (those that are allowed) wet food, goat milk, and so on to try and give them a good, strong bowel system by the time they move. So that they have less risk to be sensitive towards things or something like that.
Swear I was paying attention when she told me. I'm just really good at forgetting.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Yoda mom thanks, glad you like the poll. Sphynxlair FB members seem to enjoy as well with over 330 already voting in just a couple of days.

We are feeding grain free Merrick wet for 3 of them. Azura is on Hills c/d stress prescriptive wet due to UTI issues.

Dry we are feeding prescriptive Hills c/d stress for all. Since we have a multi-cat family and we need to free feed, we have no choice but to use what Azura needs. The vet says it’s fine for all, it is just expensive as get out lol. I wish it was all grain free but in all honesty we have solid poop from all and they are doing great.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , thanks - sadly my boy who had the UTI 3 years ago refused all the vet RX prescription" foods - any dry or wet ! The vet shook her head - he didn't eat for 3 1/2 days

I called hills amd the other RX vet sold brands - I asked what the magic ingredient was to make it RX omly and Sooo expensive - their reply "it's a combination of ingredients nothing specifically added" to be RX

As an alternative For the past 3 years I am feeding Proplan focus for urninary health chicken flavor wet food.
- it has similar magnesium phosphurus % As the "RX" only for UTI.

I am always lookimg for alternative wet foods for UTI prone kitties .

For treats I feed science diet urinary hairball dry kibble - the love it
I also read hairball formulas are good for kitties with poo issues

For main kibble I feed Nutrisource cat and kitten food in the blue bag , particular for digestive health .
No recalls amd all love it
Even my IBD kitty has made Amazing transformation being fed the Nutrisource .

* I am Always looking for UTI helpful foods -non RX prescription formulas

I will be looking forward to members chiming in on this great poll

Carlos Franco

Lairian
What type of food do you feed your Sphynx? Feel free to share name brands and your experience.reminder you cannot vote in tapatalk. You must vote in regulate site www.sphynxlair.com
Our baby sphynx has only been with us for about 5 weeks and we are still trying out what works best for Farah and our family schedule. We started out only raw but it was difficult because my wife and I both work and the kids are both in school. We didn't want the food out all day so we decided to go raw (twice a day: morning and evening) and dry food ( all day). Now deciding what dry food to use is another issue. I went on line and most breeders recommend Orijen however it is kind of expensive. Other brands that I am thinking of trying are Wilderness, Royale Canin, and Instinct- they are also pricy but not as bad as orijen. I must saw Farah has a pretty strong stomach she ates and adapts to any food and thank God no vomiting. Another brand we were considering is Nomnom Now but that's about $25/ week. We just want the best for Farah with out going broke.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
At the moment I feed Toa, Ross and Jade caracroc lamb (grain free dry food) and royal canin gastro intestinal (wet food)
Foxy eats Royal Canin Kitten dry and wet food.

And of course the three growns ups steal Foxy's baby food and Foxy steels their food:)

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kenzo eats 2 wet food meals a day, and free-feeds dry kibble. We also give him chicken trimmings and egg yolks as midday “snacks” from time to time.

Wet Food: Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe or Blue Buffalo Freedom Kitten

Dry Food: Nutro Wholesome Kitten Essentials

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Carlos Franco , I used to feed Acana amd Orijen
Switch my crew Nutrisource (never recalled )cat and kitten food kibble
Hands down been theu soo many brands amd found this the best go to feed n go
No poo or skin is used with my Sphynx' and Bengal
It's not in stores except for small pet boutiques that can order it
Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods

I buy it online at Hollywoodfeed or k9cusine
Around $33 for 16 lbs less for autoship thst can change easily
$49 free shipping on both sites

If you want grain free - same company makes make Purevita(Duck) another member feeds with great results
Grain Free - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods

littlelew

Lairian
I use Blue Buffalo Wilderness wet and dry food (Grain free) Of course she is spoilt rotten so she gets the occasional piece of chicken too :D
This is what my breeder was using, and so far Bub has no issues with it, so I don't see the point in switching (unless anyone knows of a cause for concern with this brand?!)
The only issue Bub has is when she eats too quickly, which once or twice has resulted in her throwing it up.

She reeeally loves her food and gets excited at breakfast/dinner time. Sometimes she rolls her eyes a little at being served the same brand of biscuits each day, so maybe it's time to mix it up a little. She can eat as many biscuits as she wants during the day, and gets 2-3 teaspoons of wet food in the morning and evening.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How about home cooked as an option?

I feed raw but sometimes I make chicken soup, freeze it, and give the cubes as snacks. I guess technically I'm 95% raw and 5% home cooked.

I've known a couple of people that cook everything for their dogs. A ton of work if you ask me but it's an option is you can't source quality raw meat.

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Raw food using Better in the Raw. For proteins I use venison and camel. Max is allergic to chicken, and Min is allergic to duck. They used to eat kangaroo, but Max got fussy about that recently. Boys!

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Uber is served the Blue Ridge Beef "Kitten Mix Grind" formula (raw) plus whatever he helps himself to against our wishes from licking dishes in the sink or hunting down stray bits of his sister's food! The girls are served Wellness Core wet food and Merrick grain free kibble.

I enjoy reading about how everyone else cares for their kids.

Shmeeps

Lairian
Has anyone ever fed just dry? I just got my boy from the breeder on Friday and she only free fed Royal Canin dry.Then today for my 72 hr check my vet said all dry was fine as long as he was drinking enough. I was going to start wet or raw this week but I dont want to jinx the perfect poop I'm getting. My girl Meeps free feeds dry all day with one wet meal in the evening. Thoughts anyone?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The key is "as long as he drinks enough" ....

But the reality is cats don't drink enough. They evolved consuming water in their food. I use this to my benefit because it helps them to fill up and not stay hungry or saves me from having to give them more food.

I looked up Royal Canin dry cat food and it says it has 8% moisture. Most canned food is about 80% moisture. I know some people invest in a cat drinking fountain but just logically you can see from 8% to 80% is a long bridge to cross.

This is an individual choice whether you are a breeder or a pet parent. Canned food is more expensive, as is raw food.....this is why dry food sells.

Last edited:

SphynxMami

Lairian
We feed our babies wet and dry Nutro, haven't had any issues with it. Used to feed our first baby Royal but he had stinky poopy so we switched and haven't looked back.

spottedsphynx

Lairian
I haven't gotten my lady yet, but when I do I plan to feed them a dental dry diet, as recommended by an experienced owner in my area and my breeder. Is there anything wrong with just dry?​

SphynxMami

Lairian
I haven't gotten my lady yet, but when I do I plan to feed them a dental dry diet, as recommended by an experienced owner in my area and my breeder. Is there anything wrong with just dry?​

They recommend wet food because most kitties won’t drink a lot of water and the wet food will help keep them hydrated. I do dry but add a side of wet with added water to it. I only give them about half a can a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farleys

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Harold eats primal freeze dried raw. He likes the turkey, duck, and chicken/salmon. Havent tried the beef/salmon yet
He was eating honets kitchen for the longest time but got sick of it again, as he has in the past. I tried him on darwins raw.. and he wont go near a bowl if darwins is in it. I cant even hide a pea size amount in a whole bowl of his favorite canned. We considered going back to all canned, but it takes up so much space, is so expensive, makes his poop stink soo bad! and all the cans ...
So back to primal. He does amazing on it, and loves it! Plus its so easy, and convenient. Tiny poop that has zero smell.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@spottedsphynx , I have dry food addicts

I found I put two water bowls about 5 feet away from food dish
They eat then they go right over to the water dishes and fill up like Tigers at a watering hole

The oldest is 8 yrs old and no issues

Shmeeps

Lairian
Does anyone make homemade cooked chicken food? I've been giving Meeps a bland diet the last couple of days because of Diarrhea. She inhales the boiled chicken. Could I just add a raw premix powder to cooked meat and make my own food?

Back