Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Why no Breeder Info?

as a sphynx lover and someone who just lost his lil buddy to HCM, why is there no place on here with reputable breeder information? Im obviously not going to use the same breeder next time around, so where do i turn when looking for a new kitten? you could list breeders, and have peoples testimonials about the experience they had , the kittens, their health and hairlessness,etc. or just a list of certified and reputable breeders from around the country would be nice. soooo, why isnt it on here??

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
as a sphynx lover and someone who just lost his lil buddy to HCM, why is there no place on here with reputable breeder information? Im obviously not going to use the same breeder next time around, so where do i turn when looking for a new kitten? you could list breeders, and have peoples testimonials about the experience they had , the kittens, their health and hairlessness,etc. or just a list of certified and reputable breeders from around the country would be nice. soooo, why isnt it on here??

Surprised me too. Where I come from the owners are very much into sharing information about breeders in the forums. Burning the bad ones and promoting the good ones. Breeders are discussed and everyone can add his or hers opinion.
I was asking myself the same question Filthy.
Especially since the breeding field is so badly controlled over there it seems it would be even more important for the owners to share information.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The owners of this site do not want it on here but if you pm i can tell you what breeders I trust.

Bella07

Banned
As I interpret it, Sphynx Lair is a friendly site, where Sphynx lovers can come together and share the same love for the Sphynx breed. I think we all try to keep it non-controversial here, and have it be a relaxing place.

When breeders names are placed out publically on the board, everyone has their own opinion. As I see it, you can't clearly state that Breeder A is reputable, while Breeder B is not. Everyone has their own definition of what a reputable breeder is. Some people say that it is a breeder who loves the breed. Others will say that it is a breeder who shows. Others will say that it is a breeder who scans for HCM every year. Point is, everyone has their own persepective on breeders!

If cattery names are displayed publically on the board, to put it simply, it will bring about a lot of "drama." Some people will bad mouth Breeder A, while others will bad mouth Breeder B. I honestly see no point in bringing such drama and anxiety to the board.

With research, you will be able to find a breeder that you trust. Feel free to ask questions on Sphynx Lair! We are here to help. We can give you ideas on what to ask a breeder. It is up to you in finding a breeder that you trust and respect.

When you find a breeder, ask to speak to other previously satisfied buyers. Google the cattery name, and see if any complaints come up. Visit Cat Shows and meet other Sphynx breeders. Ask questions, research, learn!

Overall, I love Sphynx Lair as it is. If cattery names were allowed to be publically displayed on the board.....Well, this site just wouldn't be the same, and I don't want it any other way. :Laugh:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We don't have any drama on the local boards and they all discuss breeders.

I think it is good for the breed that information about breeders is shared freely. It is soo much harder for a bad one to keep on operating. We've had a couple and when they get burned and starts under new name they can't go on for more than a very short period of time until someone notices and informs everyone.
The good ones with a healthy enviroment for their cats and good service to their customers gain from this and so does the cats.

But, I do understand that the owners decide what's ok and not. It's their site after all.

Just like you have sites debating the quality of shops, restaurants, suppliers etc it can easilly be done with catteries as well and in a sence it is a very important thing to do. It is here and I imagine it would be even more so in the states.
I mean how many cats are sold yearly from terriblke breeders and mills? A lot of that could be stopped but who is gonna spread the information? It has to be done by people like us or we are just accepting it and who suffers? Cat after cat after cat.

That being said I still accept the rules even though I don't agree on this point. If there is a problem the ones who see it has a bit of a responsibility to do something about it in my book.
Many many new sphynx owners use this site as their source of information when buying a kitten after all.

Gizzymom

Banned
As I interpret it, Sphynx Lair is a friendly site, where Sphynx lovers can come together and share the same love for the Sphynx breed. I think we all try to keep it non-controversial here, and have it be a relaxing place.

When breeders names are placed out publically on the board, everyone has their own opinion. As I see it, you can't clearly state that Breeder A is reputable, while Breeder B is not. Everyone has their own definition of what a reputable breeder is. Some people say that it is a breeder who loves the breed. Others will say that it is a breeder who shows. Others will say that it is a breeder who scans for HCM every year. Point is, everyone has their own persepective on breeders!

If cattery names are displayed publically on the board, to put it simply, it will bring about a lot of "drama." Some people will bad mouth Breeder A, while others will bad mouth Breeder B. I honestly see no point in bringing such drama and anxiety to the board.

With research, you will be able to find a breeder that you trust. Feel free to ask questions on Sphynx Lair! We are here to help. We can give you ideas on what to ask a breeder. It is up to you in finding a breeder that you trust and respect.

When you find a breeder, ask to speak to other previously satisfied buyers. Google the cattery name, and see if any complaints come up. Visit Cat Shows and meet other Sphynx breeders. Ask questions, research, learn!

Overall, I love Sphynx Lair as it is. If cattery names were allowed to be publically displayed on the board.....Well, this site just wouldn't be the same, and I don't want it any other way. :Laugh:

Well said, Bella07!!

Opinions on breeders is just that... opinions. Breeder A may be the best breeder around... but if Jane Doe has a not great experience (for whatever reason), she could be bashing Breeder A all over this site, making Breeder A fans upset and causing "drama". With America's freedom of speech, anyone could say anything they want and either destroy a once great reputation or "build up" a breeder who is horrible...

I hope that makes sense... it did in my head. LOLOLOL

And you are right, Bella07... I wouldn't want it any other way too :ThumbsUp:

holly_savage

Banned
As much as I would love a list of the good breeders out there I agree that posting names and opinions could cause some problems.

There are so many variables and potential problems that can arise with a new kitten. The best breeder in the world can sell a kitten that gets sick, it happens everywhere, and the "mills" can and probably do sell healthy kittens too. Hypothetically speaking, what I think of a particular breeder will be based on my dealings with them or, unfortunately what I have heard from other people. My opinion will be set and it would take a lot sway my opinion.

As was said, it would be terrible to have your reputation besmirched because of one person's opinion becoming gossip.

ANd keep in mind that how a breeder deals with a problem that arises truly demonstrates their ethics, but it may not placate everyone to be offered a replacement kitten when you were head over heals with the first one!

ANyways, I hope this explains it a little better. I agree their should be a regulated site that allows for people to post their experiences / opinions about their breeders, but again, that type of info needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We choose not to allow breeders to be listed good or bad on Sphynxlair. We have witnessed what some boards or forums have turned into, breeders bashing each other, owners bashing this breeder or that breeder, just a mess! There are plenty of these out there and not hard to find!

When we created Sphynxlair we promised each other (myself and Ilovemysphynx) we would not let it turn into that type of chaotic site! Hence, Sphynxlair!

In my opinion I have never seen any good come from any board or forum that allowed open "bashing" turn out to be a successful site. About the best thing it does is retain a small group of undesirable members who clan together waiting for the next "new" victim!

This site was created for the Sphynx owners to share good things, happy things , funny sphynx antics, and yes sometimes sad things.

So I will leave you with this ,If you own a sphynx, welcome! If you do not own a sphynx yet, welcome! If you are a breeder and own a sphynx then you are welcome here with open arms, but I ask you to hang your breeder badge and six shooter at the door before entering Sphynxlair and enjoy being a sphynx owner and share what we all cherish here, our sphynx!!

P.S. Just some helpful hints, this is no doubt the best place to find a sphynx of your choice, trust me , it's honest caring members here will get you to where you need to be to get a happy healthy cat.

There are members here who are pretty darn good at letting you know who the good and the bad are and will not hesitate to share their "opinion" with you in private! (PM) But I forewarn you, it is strictly an "opinion" and "preference" so do you homework on the breeder as well!

Hope this clears things up a bit!:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Just wanted to put my two cents in here--I am a breeder and I agree with Admin and some of the other previous posters. I am a member of Sphynx Lair --not to try to sell my cats, but to share my love for these special little angels....to find help when I need it and to offer it when I can give it. The idea of people sending out even a PM to tell people who the "good breeders" are is, in my opinion, wrong. I don't have a problem with reporting good or bad experiences had with breeders, but liking or not liking a breeder is very personal in my opinion. I bought a kitten from one of our Sphynx Lair breeders and would sing her praises from the rooftops, but I was almost bankrupted by another breeder that other people here think is wonderful--I wouldn't give her name to anyone. When there was a problem, she treated me like I was nothing. So, the lists of trusted breeders people offer to PM other people speak of only ONE person's opinion. That and about a dollar can buy you a cup of coffee. (If you don't go to Starbucks!)
People here can't possibly know every good or bad breeder out there--what you should do is research--look at sites and find a breeder who practices things you like and has kittens you are attracted to. Read her contract and health guarantee--then ask anyone if they have had any good or bad experiences with this breeder--then decide for yourself.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't know if it can really be good or bad sharing how you feel about other breeders via PM, but you need to use your own due diligence. Don't accept a 'bad' label just because or vice versa.

I really think the reason most people like to bash breeders- their own, each other, etc- is because as humans, we are drawn to drama. Well, frankly put- I have enough drama in my life and I don't need anymore! I will gladly point someone in the direction of a breeder that I know and trust, but it is still up to YOU to do YOUR homework and make the decision.

There are so many variables as to what makes a 'reputable' breeder. I have heard if you spay/neuter at 12 weeks- you are a good breeder. Well, there is a lot of info on pediatric spay/neuters that make some breeders stop and wonder if it's really healthy for the cats. I have heard if you HCM scan yearly- you are a good breeder. Yet you can just as easily produce an HCM positive kitten because HCM is a horrid disease. I've heard if you show you are a good breeder. I have seen huge kitty millers at the cat shows selling their kittens. I have heard if you bring kittens TO a cat show- you are a HORRIBLE breeder. Have to disagree there-I sat with a breeder for hours at one cat show and brought home a sweet, healthy, well rounded cat and I see his breeder at shows I attend and we keep in contact in between shows.

In the end, you need to do your homework and you need to make the decision- no one can hold your hand and do it for you.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can think of an additional reason for not posting opinions on breeders:

People change, old posts on the net don't!

If you have a breeder who had a bad few years, but is committed to improvement, should they always have the mistakes they learned from hanging over their head?

If you have a great breeder who is starting to let things slide, would it be fair to mislead people that they were still good?

The only way a breeder list would be objective and current would be to have someone, knowledgeable about the breed, visit and inspect the catteries on a regular basis and post results. The time and money considerations make this near impossible.

I feel this is one area where 'crowd-sourcing' is not a good option. Crowd sourced information tends to give disproportionate authority to those who hold the 'loudest' opinion, not necessarily the ones with a well-informed opinion.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The SphynxLair is for Sphynx Lovers. A place we can come and share and ask and even rant about family going on's if we want to. Its not a place to gather info on particular breeders. Everyone will have a different opinion of the different breeders. And opinions are just that.
There are plenty of places on the net to gather the pros and cons of each breeder. It takes time and patience, and talking to them, asking LOTS of questions and sometimes meeting them and its usually best to follow your own gut feeling. Even if you get a bad reference on a breeder doesn't mean you still shouldn't talk to them or consider them. Every breeder has had some sort of downfall or set back in their past and if they haven't it doesn't mean its not in their future. Its how they handle it that will set them apart from the true hearted breeders. Goodluck in your search and I'm sorry to hear of your loss and above all...Welcome to the Lair!

spygirl

Banned
I personally like having no breeder names on this forum.

Go check out a site called faunclassifieds.com. It's a reptile classifieds and breeder advertisement site. There's also a section on the site called the Board of Inquiry. It's a forum to ask about breeders, tell people your good experiences with breeders, as well as the bad. And oh my goodness, there is drama everywhere! The owner of the site has even been threatened with lawsuits on slander, etc.

If someone came on here and intentionally bad mouthed a rival breeder, the owners of the site could be named in a lawsuit. It's nice to be on a family friendly, drama free forum!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It is so nice to hear that most of you agree on the decision my husband and I made with this rule.We kind of struggled with it for a while and hate when we have to take them off because we try real hard not to hurt anyones feelings. After all is said is done we are happy with the choice we made and like the friendly place that you all have helped us with!:ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

beeblebrox

Lairian
You said google the name to see if it comes up.. LOL. Remember... some breeders names will come up just because other breeders are crazy and jealous and will do anything to make them look bad. For example... anyone can post whatever they want on ripoffreport.com and need no proof of anything. I could post that Sphynx Liar is a cult.. LOL... and the only way it could be taken off is if the sphynx lair folkes pays 5k or so to ripoffreport.com to have it removed! Ripoffreport.com is a rip off. .LOL. I wish someone would post about them on their site... LOL.

What I say is... don't ask other breeders about another breeder because you are sure to hear bad things. Ask the people who actually adopted from them... that's the only place you'll find truth...

Dez

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
THEN AGAIN- you can't really talk to someone who has purchased a cat from a breeder and get a true idea because as far as references go- breeders are only going to give out positive references for the most part!

Hehehehe. Nothing like pointing out how involuted and difficult it can be to get to the truth!

AngelSphynx

Lairian
I think the way Admin and ILoveMySphynx's way of running the Sphynx Lair is the best way. It's different than any other cat forum I have belonged to and it WORKS. I've been to many of them throughout the years and I can tell you every one of them would eat people up to pieces and bash breeders all the time. They were like sharks. I just want to be somewhere to share my love for cats/Sphynx's. There was always so much fighting and judging going on that I quit going to all of them. And it got to the point where I felt like I couldn't post anything without feeling like I would be bashed for it.

This is honestly the first forum (The Sphynx Lair) that I ever felt welcomed in and we are all here for one reason and purpose- the love of cats! This forum is all I ever wanted.

Back