Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wits end

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I do not know what to do anymore. Juno mostly will not stop destroying my furniture. I have tried multiple different types of scratching devices. I have tried a feliway difuser. Cat nip. Sprays that attract. Sprays that repel. Double sided sticky tape. She has ruined my new couch. Ruined. I have tried nail caps. I clip her nails every 2-3 days. She isn't the only one but she is the one that I always catch. I have done everything online I can find. I can't keep her caged 24/7. She even does it when I am sitting right here doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Don't kitties scratch the more you clip their nails?

I can't find the name of it but its canned air I think that has a detector on it and it shoos kitties away from that area you place it in - hopefully someone will know the name of it. Have you tried that?

Inferno12

Banned
Don't kitties scratch the more you clip their nails?

I can't find the name of it but its canned air I think that has a detector on it and it shoos kitties away from that area you place it in - hopefully someone will know the name of it. Have you tried that?

oooh yeah I remember that. I dont remember the name either. Was is Suzi that posted about it?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
oooh yeah I remember that. I dont remember the name either. Was is Suzi that posted about it?

I know someone posted about it so hopefully they see this and comment on the name of it. I tried googleing it but I must not be searching the right words. LOL Because they posted a funny video of the kitty being scared away by it. It was a post about keeping kitties away from the door.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My son has the giant ant toy that has a motion detector on it. When you walk by it goes INTRUDER ALERT, it scared them the first few times but then they seemed like they were purposely trying to make it go off!

Bella07

Banned
Oh that stinks. Lesson learned for me after they destroyed my suede sleeper couch...So now at my house, we buy couch covers and put it over anything they could/want to scratch. That protects it pretty well. Then, when we have guests over, we take the covers off so the furniture looks somewhat good. Good Luck in finding a solution!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I will have to try it out! I will try and sneak into petco and see if they have something and hope I don't get removed. LOL

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you tried putting your cat tree BESIDE the furniture the cat is wrecking?

Nofuratu was scratching my new couch and then we got a cat tree that goes up to the ceiling and put it right beside the sofa.......now he gets so crazy scratching the cat tree that he forgets about the sofa....

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Christine

Lairian
Gibby likes to scratch my chairs....luckily I don't have anything all that great lol. Good luck in finding a solution! My friend's cat does this too and she even brought a tree stump inside and the cat still preferred the couch!!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have no good suggestions- getting a couch that would hide cat claws was a priority when we bought our new one. They don't use it, too often, they prefer the Armakat cat tree we have- and wooden door frames (sigh), but it was a must on our list when we were getting a new couch.

Now, we looked at breakfast nooks and I had to say no way- I loved them, but they looked like cat scratch heaven!

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They used to have this old ugly yellow chair to scratch I didn't mind but it got moved to a different spot when I got the new couch and now they use the couch even though the chair is for them only, no one ever sits on it!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cats are creatures of habit just like us humans. I think moving their scratchy chair probably confused them. They went to the spot and it was gone so they attacked the first enticing thing they saw which was your couch.

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cat likes the Emery Cat board scratcher. It took him a few weeks to get used to it, but uses it regularly now. We also have grey rubber gym tile mats around the house that he scratches. They aren't expensive. You should cover your good furniture with slip covers. Try using a spray bottle filled with water on your cat if he attempts to scratch the furniture.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My couch has a cover on it they go underneath it to scratch, I even find them sleeping under it in the morning. So far I haven't had any problems and they have been using the post for the past few days.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cat likes the Emery Cat board scratcher. It took him a few weeks to get used to it, but uses it regularly now. We also have grey rubber gym tile mats around the house that he scratches. They aren't expensive. You should cover your good furniture with slip covers. Try using a spray bottle filled with water on your cat if he attempts to scratch the furniture.

A spray bottle of water works well, & will not hurt your cat or dog. My sphynx girl was drinking out of the aquarium, & all I had to do was squirt her, & she stopped! Also, she did not know where the spray came from, so I was not a villan!:LOL:

Nair Bare

Lairian
This may seem a bit extreme but it saved my friend's $7,000. Italian leather couch and allowed her DSH to live IN the house. This cat would run to this new couch and start scratching, so my friend purchased a portable marine air horn.
Now this is very loud, especially in the house, so remove kids and other pets from the area. Then set your cat up to scratch the furniture. Sit close to the cat but ignore it. When the first paw goes onto the furniture, hit a short burst on the air horn. One good correction is worth a thousand nagging ones. My friend only had to hit the air horn twice and now her DSH will not even venture close to this couch.
And since you are at your wits' end, it doesn't seem too extreme compared to being declawed or rehomed.

Back