Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wow, I didn't know!

Teri*D

Lairian
I really don't know a lot about cats but since I joined here last week I been reading some things I never knew! I didn't know you had to give sphynx baths, clean their teeth or ears as much. I only clean Chloe's ears once a month, I only use cat wipes to clean her and that's maybe once a month, she does not like the water at all so how do I even try to give her a bath? how do I clean her teeth? I sure do have a lot to learn and start doing!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow - you can stick to using wipes if they work or maybe wet them down more and wipe her down and give her a good dry off afterwards. For ears I would just start cleaning them once a week or when you start seeing build up, Snuffie usually requires her ears done every 6 days so I have to just made it where I bathe her every 6 days. I give her a bath, then ears, then nails then kitty treats! I wash her face every day to every other day to keep the eye crusties minimal and any food debry(sp?) she may pick up. Goodluck...the more you make it a ritual the better she will take to it, don't start something and then back off of it or she will know she can act out everytime and get away with it. Cats are alot like kids(in my humble opinion), just keep the rules constant and it will all work out.

J

Jinxlover

Really? No bath? WOW I could not go a week with out giving Blueberry a bath. I would have to put her out in the shop to live.lol. I dont know if she will ever like it at her age, there are a few on here that almost kill there mom and dad(I wont say any names:LOL:) when they try to bathe them. Good luck. I would say just keep trying..

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yup I do the same as Christina bath then nails and ears! Once a week! Snuggles hates his bath but tonight I am going to try filling the water up more and see if that helps.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Freya can go a couple of weeks without a bath with just wipe downs. Fortunately she is very good in the tub. I haven't bthed her in over 2 weeks now due to her not feeling well, but surprisingly she still feels nice, her ears are getting ucky tho. I think it is different for each cat. You will learn what works for your baby.

holly_savage

Banned
same with Hibou, luckily she just isn't a dirty SPhynx...apart from the grubby neck / belly and arm pits...and even they just kind of look more peachy colored than pink. I try to give her a bath once a week, but sometimes it goes to 2 weeks, with a warm washcloth in the meantime.

By the naxt day after her bath her grunge spots reappear, so I have deicded to be comfortable with them, otherwise, I'd have her in the tub everyday!:Sweat:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mug-Y doesn't get bathed, just an unscented baby wipe once a week and a warm wet cloth if he gets really grubby. The vet does his claws as he's way too voscious to do them myself and he allows me to clean his eyes and ears about once a week!

X

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so lucky! Mo likes a bath, he has one usually evry 1-2 weeks, and I clip his claws and clean his ears when ever needed, he comes ffor a cuddle and I love cleaning his ears and claws!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been owned by a sphynx for over a year now. Baby wipes!!!! Why didn't you guys tell me!!! I've been going to the ER once a month and now you tell me baby wipes!

Only joking but I'll definitely start using baby wipes. It took me a good six months before I figured out to trim nails before a bath.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've been owned by a sphynx for over a year now. Baby wipes!!!! Why didn't you guys tell me!!! I've been going to the ER once a month and now you tell me baby wipes!

Only joking but I'll definitely start using baby wipes. It took me a good six months before I figured out to trim nails before a bath.

:LOL::LOL:ROFL!!!!!!:LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Very funny :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

As for teeth they sell kitty tooth brush and paste in pet stores and places like wal mart. The little brush slides on your finger.
I give ours a bath about once a week but I look at Leo and wonder why I bother:Dizzy:

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bathe Lemmy about every 2-3 weeks with touch ups in between. He hates baths, so I have to be quick or else I need stitches!! LOL

Teri*D

Lairian
I bathe Lemmy about every 2-3 weeks with touch ups in between. He hates baths, so I have to be quick or else I need stitches!! LOL

Lol! That's how Chloe would be! She doesn't have front nails so do I still need to trim the back one? I really have a lot to learn :D

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Lol! That's how Chloe would be! She doesn't have front nails so do I still need to trim the back one? I really have a lot to learn :D

Yes - trim the back ones if needed. If you kitty doesn't chew them down herself then you may still need a snip or two here and there. Snuffie tends to chew on her back claws and I rarely have to clip them. Does anyone elses Sphynx chew down their back claws? My DSH cats i've had in the past always did so I didn't think much of it when I seen Snuffie doing it.

Viktor

Lairian
Elke, hates water. She got used to it. Bath every week during the winter (she spents ours on the central heating). During summer as needed, however mostly twice a month.

Face and mouth as needed. Looking on the post, we will start to do it regularly.

Claws as needed. She use to sleep with us. It is not really pleasant to wake up with her claw in your skin or face;).

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Stella tolerates her bath, but I wouldn't say she loves it. She just walks back and forth while I scrub her. I commented a while back about how I was able to go at least two weeks without bathing her. Well, I don't know what happened. It's back to every week. :LOL: The Doritos smell is a good indicator that she needs a bath.

for_serious

Lairian
My kitten HATED water when I got him, but now he's really good about it. He doesn't love it, but he doesn't give me a hard time.

Back