Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

100% Natural Cat Litters

Fountainrunner

Lairian
What is the best 100% natural clumping cat litter on the market? I use to swear by Arm & Hammer Natural Essentials All-Natural Clumping litter. Then while I was on the road I decided to try out World's Best cat litter and it is much better. When I returned home and started using Arm & Hammer again I noticed it didn't clump as well as I thought and I found the perfume scent too strong. Are there any others I should try out too?

I've only had a cat for a few months now so I don't know much about litter. But I want to stick to the all-natural litters. I notice everyone in the stores always pick up Tidy Cat. Am I making the wrong choice? :Sweat:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've always used Tidy Cats clay litter for Multiple Cats. None of my kitties have ever had any trouble with it (knock on wood) and I don't find it too extremely dusty. I think most of us use something a little different but I think really that it is your choice. Goodluck in your hunt for the right kind.

dragynflye

Lairian
i love world's best cat litter! i've always used it for my fosters, and i plan on using it for kimo, too. i use (and love) feline pine for my ferrets. there is a clumping version of feline pine, but i've never tried it, since clumping litters aren't safe for ferts.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i love world's best cat litter! i've always used it for my fosters, and i plan on using it for kimo, too. i use (and love) feline pine for my ferrets. there is a clumping version of feline pine, but i've never tried it, since clumping litters aren't safe for ferts.

I just tried this and even though I clean it out pretty much everytime someone goes to the bathroom it starts to stink after 3 days. But I do like it!

I do also love tidy cats and might go back to that since it never smells :0)

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I always use Tidy Cat...it clumps and controls odor really well! Plus, it's one of the most reasonably priced cat litters out there.

Bleh, I tried that Arm & Hammer one once and wow, it smelled like laundry detergent. Can't imagine what it smelled like to the cat who has much more sensitive nasal passages.

I really try to get the World's Best multiple cat as it lasts longer (one change lasts at least a month with regular scooping). Sometimes I use the brand of corn clumping litter that Wal-Mart and HEB has. It's called Fresh Results and has the slight smell of pine. It clumps like nobody's business. It's flushable too like the WB which I like.

Also, any of the clay litters are not eco-friendly at all. Clay mining is extremely hard on the environment and clay does not biodegrade. So all that clay litter sits in landfills for years upon years. The corn may be a bit more expensive, but it won't hurt your cat if they eat it, it's flushable and it's biodegradable.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We used to use Tidy cat but I found the little pellets all over and they started making me crazy:Surprise: I am now using Arm and hammer and I like because it clumps like A brick but the smell is not so great! I am really thinking about the litter robot.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use natural pine & I love it it's not clumping or dented but idc I want the safest litter for my baby girl!!!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
We used to use Tidy cat but I found the little pellets all over and they started making me crazy:Surprise: I am now using Arm and hammer and I like because it clumps like A brick but the smell is not so great! I am really thinking about the litter robot.

Now is that the Natural Essentials Arm & Hammer or the regular Arm & Hammer litter that you're using? Because I'm finding the natural one never clumps well and the litter is all over the place. I'm constantly sweeping the floors in the house - ugh. :Angry:

wundrlust

Lairian
I am forever trying new litters. Thank goodness the boys don't mind using them!

Yesterday's News

Sweet Scoop

Natural Pine

World's Best

Purr and Natural ...just got this yesterday to try

Soy litter...the worst! Love the concept but hate the way it sticks to the bottom of the pan. Users have recomended that veg spray be used but there is no way I am going to put anything in their pans like that!

As you can see I do not use any commercial clay litters. I worry about them licking any off themselves and potential issues with respratory systems. I'm also not comfotable exposing them to any perfume.

susi794

Staff member
I was reading over my contract from Lulu's breeder today and she recommendsWorld's Best Cat Litter, but then says that an all natural and very safe litter for adult cats and kittens is egg-mash or chicken feed found at a local animal supply or elevator --she says it's very similar to World's Best Cat Litter but runs around $10. for 50 lbs. Am going to try it the next time I am out and about enough to find some.

Tried it... It's not the same at all. Doesn't clump for beans and smells horrid after a day. Not something I would recommend. Also, the chick feed is going to be pretty dusty, which isn't the case with the WB.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Tried it... It's not the same at all. Doesn't clump for beans and smells horrid after a day. Not something I would recommend. Also, the chick feed is going to be pretty dusty, which isn't the case with the WB.

You read my mind. I used to care for a neighbors chicks & chickens when I was little and I remember that feed being so dirty and dusty. Never heard of EggMash but the name pretty much tells me it would probably smell up to high heaven.

Goodluck in your natural litter search tho. I know there are a lot of choices out there. An idea is to probably pick a small bag of each and try it out in each litter box (because I think I remember you saying you had 2 or 3 boxes) and keep record of which one works out the best. Just a thought.:ThumbsUp:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I like the corn cob one and the cedar all natural. It clumps well and you just scoop it into the toilet and flush. It also smells good!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use Arm & Hammer multicat with Ammonia blocker. I've tried many many litters, ad I always end up back with Arm&Hammer ;)

gizmo6370

Banned
I use this too and I swear by it! It's fantastic. I've tried others but they arn't as good and I always go back to this one. It does track round my house but I wouldn't change it. :ThumbsUp:

You can always try this one.....it is also from cat's best and tracks a lot less :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Now is that the Natural Essentials Arm & Hammer or the regular Arm & Hammer litter that you're using? Because I'm finding the natural one never clumps well and the litter is all over the place. I'm constantly sweeping the floors in the house - ugh. :Angry:

just the regular one and it clumps great!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I'm still searching for a great all natural cat litter but am a bit hesitant to change litters on my kitty too much.

Here's my review of ExquisiCat Pine Cat Litter. It's simply awful! LOL. The only thing I like about it is it doesn't smell. However, it doesn't clump, it fluffs. The litter puffs up into pine fluff and whenever I go to scoop up anything the scooper can't shift the fresh pine pellets from the pine fluff. Basically, I'm throwing out good litter every time I try to scoop up the pine fluff. It's simply throwing money out the window with each scoop. Plus, my kitty hated it so much he went to the bathroom in his water bowl rather than use it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to change the litter back until he's used up this junk. I can't wait to go back to my 50/50 mix of Arm & Hammers Essential All-Natural and World's Best. The World's Best Cat Litter clumps like nobody's business and the Arm & Hammers Essential has that strong clean scent -- together they mix for an excellent cat litter! But I'm still curious to try other litter solutions.

holly_savage

Banned
we've been using the Feline Fresh Pine Clumping litter and it is pretty go. It doesn't clump as neatly as the clay stuff, but the weight of the bags and the pine smell outweighs those cons for me!

Anyone here try the Silica Crystals? Any thoughts on it?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I liked the silica crystals but found they didn't soak up everything and some leaked through to the liner...plus they turn yellow, which doesn't look too nice!!

I've gone back to Worlds Best as overall i find it much better and Mugs likes it too!

X

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I use Feline Fresh clumping pine formula. It's great on odors and the litter is super light weight which is nice when carrying it in and changing the box! If you change from a clay litter to something like this you may want to introduce it slowly so that your cat doesn't decide to poo elsewhere (like Peaches did when I first adopted her because I didn't remember what kind of litter she used in her previous home). She's used to it now and it clumps great! Also you can flush it down the toilet and it's biodegradable and earth friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back