Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Arya has a heart murmur.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have used Atopica for my mastiff Otto for a short period of time due to the potential side effects. He is already prone to mast cell tumors (had them removed previously) and this medication can increase the likelihood of developing them. It is a very low possibility and I have known a lot of pets that are on it without any problems.

Fingers crossed that this treatment works and you do not have to do the sedation and biopsy.

Hugs from Agnes!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Second echo in the books!! No changes, does not need any medication.
This makes my day!

Arya's primary put her on Atopica (cyclosporine oral solution) for her skin condition, has anyone used this medication before? It's a autoimmune medication, her vet said if this doesn't work she will need to do a biopsy under anesthesia, she wants to avoid this, she does not want to put her under anesthesia because of her HCM.
Are you at all inclined to make food at home just in case there is something about the commercial food that doesn't sit well with her? I actually started cooking for one of my girls. I had been a raw feeder for years and I didn't think it would make a difference, but it did. One thing I found out is that the supplement I was using wasn't guaranteed to be hypoallergenic. There are so many little details. Anyway, she was throwing up a lot and that has stopped completely with the new recipes. I know Arya isn't throwing up but my vet had told me that my girl probably had IBD, which is an immune disease. Now I see that it was a food issue that led to her having inflammation, but by changing the food we got rid of the problem. Just giving some food for thought.

Last edited:

Aryasmum

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This makes my day!

Are you at all inclined to make food at home just in case there is something about the commercial food that doesn't sit well with her? I actually started cooking for one of my girls. I had been a raw feeder for years and I didn't think it would make a difference, but it did. One thing I found out is that the supplement I was using wasn't guaranteed to be hypoallergenic. There are so many little details. Anyway, she was throwing up a lot and that has stopped completely with the new recipes. I know Arya isn't throwing up but my vet had told me that my girl probably had IBD, which is an immune disease. Now I see that it was a food issue that led to her having inflammation, but by changing the food we got rid of the problem. Just giving some food for thought.
I will definitely consider it. I will do anything for her.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I will definitely consider it. I will do anything for her.
Check out petdiets.com when you are ready. It's run by a group of board certified veterinary nutritionists. One of their vets is who formulated my recipes. They sell "custom" recipes for cats that have medical conditions as well as "regular" recipes for healthy cats. Since it sounds like Arya's heart condition is under control, I would start with a "regular" recipe because it only costs $25. You can choose the protein you want to use, such as rabbit.

They encourage cooking the food so that's what I've been doing. What convinced me to cook is that raw food has certain bacteria in it just because that's how meat is. For a healthy cat it's not usually a problem but if you are dealing with an immune disease, your cat's immune system may not be strong enough to handle the bacteria in raw food.

I think the easiest thing to do is pick a protein that you know you can buy ground meat of that protein in the grocery store. That way you don't have to grind it yourself. Rabbit is hard to find in a grocery store so I'm thinking ground chicken, ground pork, ground beef and such. You'd still have to chop liver or heart because no one sells that already ground, but that should be a small portion of the recipe and you can even chop it with a knife if that's all you have.

I hope I didn't make that sound hard because it's not. It's true it takes more time to cook than to pop open a can of food. But heck if you cook for yourself that takes time too. I would say the hardest thing for me was sourcing the meats because there's not a butcher shop close by. I've managed to find things in different stores though. If you need another incentive, you will save money on food.

At the end of the day, if homemade food doesn't help her you can always go back to commercial food.

Last edited:

Aryasmum

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
4AB49C6A-B629-47C5-B98D-F1200903E847.jpeg

Arya had her dermatology appointment today, this is her scoping out the place, she had several biopsies done, including a deep tissue. She was sedated, (her cardiologist signed off on it). We should get results in 7-10 days. Her doctor had her black male Sphynx with her!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Aryasmum , all paws are family.. deep breath... I always get nervous when my babies go for physicals, we get understand
sending hugs n positive vibe head smooches for Arya's echo and physical.

ALL paws crossed for good news updates. ((( hugs n head smooches ))))

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay! Great news!!! So happy for you that there's no progression. Give her extra hugs, kisses and goodies

~Dawn and Aggie

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Aryasmum , lol same here. are they the go cat attachments?
mine lose them in the covers I seem to always land on or when I step in the shower wet soggy toys
I am soo happy all went well today, much love and hugs n kisses

Back