Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Best Cat Toys For Highly Intelligent Kitten?

jfox37

Lairian
Hi SphynxLairians!

Recently, our Sphynx kitten Abby (who you may have read about previously) ate a string from a toy and had to have an emergency endoscopy procedure. Of course her skin condition fully healed and then this happened. She's a handful!! Luckily, she is perfectly fine, just mischievous and very active. We're looking to get her an interactive and stimulating cat toy (without strings!) to keep her busy. She is very smart and figures things out very quickly. She loves playing with spring toys. I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks!!

Jamie & Sam

SterlingsMom

Lairian
Here's a link to a website that suggests several toys that look really interactive and fun!
11 Unique and Challenging Cat Toys

My boy is extremely intelligent as well and I'm always looking for ways to keep him entertained. I found this really fun activity mat on Amazon, it's called a Ripple Rug. He loves jumping through the holes and hiding inside! I definitely recommend this one!
IMG_0269.jpg

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Da Bird is always a fun one. It mimics a bird flying and is a big hit. It is a pole toy with a string attachment so you would have to put it away in a safe spot when not in use. We have several toys that have batterys that move around that the cats like. If you find something that has sporadic movement vs the same movements over and over my kitties seem to enjoy that more. Good luck finding a toy that works!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Max is way too smart and most toys he ignores. Anything electronic he ignores. I have found the best way is to engage him with a variety of wand toys like Da Bird or similar. He also likes when I play "tora tora" (like a bull fighter) with him -- wave a blanket around that he can dive into and engage with.

My consensus is that the smarter they are, the more creative we humans need to be.

jfox37

Lairian
Here's a link to a website that suggests several toys that look really interactive and fun!
11 Unique and Challenging Cat Toys

My boy is extremely intelligent as well and I'm always looking for ways to keep him entertained. I found this really fun activity mat on Amazon, it's called a Ripple Rug. He loves jumping through the holes and hiding inside! I definitely recommend this one!
View attachment 74499

This looks great!! Thank you for the suggestion. I think both cats will love this!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Last edited:

janeypoos84

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We also purchase de birdie, all my cats love it but they never last more than a few weeks as they get destroyed Pocos favourite is a green rattly mouse that was made up of like glittery material but the tails break off so I ain't going to be getting any more

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Witchy , it's probably one my best purchases
Purrfect for excercise amd a training spot with a treat to learn not to bolt out the door!
It also has a built in scratching material they make a same scratching post with

villino1

Lairian
What great suggestions Ivy favourites are playing fetch and soccer... interactive well yes.. with me! We switch her toys up regularly but balls of paper boxes and shopping bags are just as fun. Intelligence and her eagerness to please made it easy and quick for her to learn sit, come up and down, bed kiss and of course NO (food inspired naughtiness usually) she does tell me No too when needed, and thats usually food inspired aswell. She sits for her meals with the other animals learning from them the other things were learnt along the lines of training a dog with a treat reward. Hope Abby stays well and enjoys her new toys :cat:

Izidora

Lairian
mine ignore almost every toy and go play with the stupidest thing they find in the house :grumpy: like...an almond. But all the balls and plush mice are not interesting to them. Or a broken teaser stick - only the stick, wooo that's awesome (for Joshira)! Oh and a laser pointer (Silvio). So basically there is no toy in the house that would make them play on their own, they constantly require ME:meh: Well allright, maybe that almond I mentioned in the beginning - I picked up a big one so they could not swallow it, then Silvio rolls it around the floor lol

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Izidora have you tried hair elastics? (as long as your crew won't eat them) Astrid loves them and will play by herself with them. Dixie cups are a new favourite to smack around the counter ( well they are plastic red solo shot glasses... don't need to be thrown out as often). Sometimes the silliest things make the bestest toys. Astrid also loves pens lol. Tin foil balls might work too, my nanna used to do that apparently lol. Not every toy needs to be a toy, it's just making sure they can't choke/eat it or hurt themselves that is important

Izidora

Lairian
Yes we did, they play with them but only when they decide it's fun. Usually they just lay around the floor:LOL: And of course, they are more fun when I throw them and they run after it.:ROFLMAO:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Izidora of course lol uuuhhhmmm have you tried those boxes with holes cut in it so the have to get the ball out? I can't think of what they are called but people take a Tupperware and cut arm holes in the top then put toys and whatnot inside so they have to fish them out.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes! No idea how good they are or what not. I've just seen kitties going crazy in pictures for them.
The one on the bottom is the Tupperware diy one
IMG_1847.PNG

Back