Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bringing a sphynx kitten into a home with a 1 year old sphynx...

Tiffany Clark

Lairian
Hi all,
We are bringing home a male sphynx kitten in a few weeks. We already have a one year old female (spayed) and I’ve read a lot about introducing them safely.
Please share any advise that might help.
I was going to keep my one year old in spare room for a day or so and let kitten explore and smell. Then swap them over.
Any advise welcome! X

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You might find this helpful Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

I definitely say take things slowly. Babies can stress when going to new homes which can lead to them developing a URI...they also bring in new germs that can affect your resident cat, so keeping them truly apart for 1-2 weeks until your baby shows no signs is highly recommended. Not everyone can do it, but it does help. Your plan on room swapping is perfect in the meantime. Set up a vet appointment now if you can for the baby and bring a poop sample to be sure that is all clear as well. Can’t wait to see your baby home! @Tiffany Clark

Tiffany Clark

Lairian
Thank you for your advice :)
Il get a vet check up ready! Just hope both kitties are healthy and happy xx
(This is my 1 year old already in my home)

Attachments

• A0D03E56-1FD2-4F8E-9132-E308D94CC40E.jpeg
    A0D03E56-1FD2-4F8E-9132-E308D94CC40E.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 41

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Tiffany Clark wow your current baby is gorgeous. Glad you are setting up the wellness/vet check early. With this virus, many are a bit backed up and can’t see as many patients with so many health guidelines. I will share it is stressful when integrating for some...a good benchmark is after introducing it takes bout 2 weeks until many feel less stressed and a new routine settles in.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a beautiful girl! Such an exciting time ahead of you. My female girl was all over the kitten I brought home from minute one. She immediatly started to mother over the little one. Hope it'll be the same for you

Back