Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chicken needs prayers/ FATE hit and dx with chf

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Big healing vibes being sent your way, happy to hear chicken is home, he is probably very relieved to be back at your side.
Keep it up Chicken, you can do this!!

chickensmom

Lairian
Update #2:

He's finally eating! He has decided that canned wet cat food is pretty good and is woofing it down and he is gaining weight. So happy about this.

I feel like he has been having rather good days although I do not want to jinx it. Everything both my vets said and all my internet research said was he had a very poor prognosis. The clot, the hind limb involvement, the degree of cardiomyopathy, the fact that he was in congestive heart failure and his lungs were full of fluid and his rectal temp was 96 degrees. All of that was not good but here he is!

So I'm happy and enjoying every snuggle.

His foot oozed and then sloughed off the outer layer of skin and then underneath it seems like healthy new tissue and I feel like I can feel a pulse and it's warm again.

He hates his meds but is tolerating them.

So we are just waiting. I can't help but feel like he is a ticking time bomb though and my anxiety is through the roof. I freak every time he looks even a little off.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@chickensmom thank you so much for the update about Chicken. It makes me so happy hearing he is eating and having a good day. Can imagine it isn't easy for you and must be killing to freak everytime he looks a little off. Try to enjoy every good moment Chicken has. Sending more healing vibes to chicken and a big hug to you.

Natasja

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Happy to hear he is eating and gaining weight. I totally understand how stressful it must be. To your baby he is living in the moment, so just keep loving him.

chickensmom

Lairian
Update #3:

So I don't have great news although it isn't "the end" I don' think. I know how quickly these kitties can go down though and I am worried this morning.

Chicken woke up coughing like he had a hair ball. But he NEVER does this because, well...no hair. So I put my head against his side and listened and I hear crackles/fluid. I jumped up and gave him his morning doses of meds which include his diuretic and I gave him a tad bit more of the Lasix then his normal dose.

So is this "the end"? Is he going back into congestive heart failure? He wanted to eat still and he doesn't appear to be in distress.

I keep telling myself "do not rush to the hospital"....I told myself he will not be put through another stay with IVs and overnights so if this is it then so be it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@chickensmom, (((squeeze hugs))) and gentle head smooches to Chicken.
Him wanting to eat is a good.
Love and spoil as you are
He only knows your love

We are here for you

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear it has been a rough start to the morning. The normal breathing rate for a cat at complete rest is 20-30 breaths a minute...and cat cannot be purring while at rest. If is is higher than that, it can be a sign CHF has started. Our vet said breathing rate is the best gauge for one to be able to tell from home. Lair prayers keep going Chicken's way.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Hearing crackles is definitely due to the CHF. There is a buildup of fluid and the lasix helps clear it out. You may need to have a dose adjustment for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry to hear about Chicken's health issues. I am sending healing vibes for Chicken and calming vibes for you. So many hugs your way. Thinking of you, and know you will cherish and love every moment you can with Chicken.

chickensmom

Lairian
Well, no change really for worse or better. He's definitely "off" today but still is eating a little.

I have a stethoscope at my bedside now to check him and I can still hear some fluid but not as bad as this morning. His heart rate is 190 and can tell it's a little hard to breathe but not terrible yet.

Just keeping up the updates as they come. I hope to not have to do it again for a long time and he just stabilizes for oh, about 8 years Now that would be the greatest miracle, ha!

Sheldon13

Staff member
The worst is when they've been sleeping for many hours and then first wake up. The fluid has had time to build up. So don't panic first thing when you get up tomorrow. He made need a couple of hours to regulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
So happy Chickens meds are getting a balance
And he ate like a little piggy and did some exploring :)
It took my Kato about a week for a balance amd then it was much better days

Head smooches!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
That's a great update. Happy to read Chicken eats like a piggy and is walking around in the livingroom. Come on Chicken, you can do this!

Back