Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you talk to your Sphynx?

Do you chat with your Sphynx?

• Talk

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Sing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kitty talk (unhuman sounds or noises)

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 105 74.5%

• Total voters

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I babble at Teeka & Hyde all the time. Usually in very embarrassing baby-talk, though I have been known to have deep and meaningful conversations with them both. Neither are terribly vocal, but Teeka has several variety of purrs which I've been learning ...

She has the soft, rumbling content purr. The high-pitched warbling excited purr. The short, staccato annoyed-purr and the multi-toned (I don't know how she does it but it sounds like 2 or 3 different purrs together), so very happy purr.

I also sing to them both. Neither are particularly thrilled by it, though my version of "Both Sides Now" is a group favourite. :LOL:

I have entire conversations with Alice and Dita. And they talk back to me.

A few days ago I was just so damn tired of everything that's going on that I started crying to Dita and hugging her, telling her everything that was wrong because I just wanted someone to listen and she put her paw on my shoulder and purred at me. It was nice, I like to think she understood.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have entire conversations with Alice and Dita. And they talk back to me.

A few days ago I was just so damn tired of everything that's going on that I started crying to Dita and hugging her, telling her everything that was wrong because I just wanted someone to listen and she put her paw on my shoulder and purred at me. It was nice, I like to think she understood.

I think she understood more than we could ever know.

Faeron

Lairian
Talk.

I can't sing and I find 'kitty' of 'baby' talk just undignified for such an intelligent creature. But I talk to her a lot. Whether she listens depends if the word 'food' is somewhere in the sentence :LOL:

(Of the record, I sometimes also talk to plants, other animals and very occassional to inanimate object... Weird? Naa!)

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Tell us, do you talk or sing to your Sphynx?

Great question to ask! I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't talk to their Sphynx. I talk to all of my pets, including my Boone Boone. I sing to him softly while I cuddle him & dance slowly to whatever song is on the radio. The only pet I have that actually talks back to me is my parrot. When my kitties &/or my dog is up to no good, even if I'm not in the room to see whats going on, I know something is going on, because I'll hear my Floyd say, "knock it off".:Hysterical:

momofmaxamillon

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I talk to Max in a higher pitch voice and I also answer for him, somtimes my daughter Max and I will set together and she likes to pretend she can ask him questions of course I am Max and answer for him we are silly but we have fun Max just likes the attention.:LOL:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I talk to Max in a higher pitch voice and I also answer for him, somtimes my daughter Max and I will set together and she likes to pretend she can ask him questions of course I am Max and answer for him we are silly but we have fun Max just likes the attention.:LOL:

I've been doing my pets' voices for years now :BigSmile: I even did stuffed animal voices for my kids when they were little. My youngest son is 13 years old now, & he still asks me to make them talk. We have a blast & crack up laughing.:LOL:

momofmaxamillon

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've been doing my pets' voices for years now :BigSmile: I even did stuffed animal voices for my kids when they were little. My youngest son is 13 years old now, & he still asks me to make them talk. We have a blast & crack up laughing.:LOL:

Yes I do admit I have a pretty good time with it sometimes, I can also irritate her with it you know ,let Max boss her around not me, Max is telling you to bring down your dirty laundry and do your math, works great till she says stop mom. Moms always have to be the bad guy, my husband walks in the door and we may as well play the music here comes our hero he can do no wrong. Oh well I have a feeling roles will revese in a few years no daddy bashing going on here.

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I of course talk to my baby (sphynx). But the best thing is that sometimes when he is bad and gets on the table or something of that sort and I have to tell him to get down I will say to him, "Now remember how we talked about not doing this". My mom thinks this is hilarious b/c, of course, even though we did talk about it he doesn't speak English and thus probably didn't understand most of the conversation. :LOL: Guess I am the weird one!

Leslye, Lindsey, and Timmy

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
all of the above. i speak a lot to them and i'll make little "prrp" noises back at amen-ra. they each have their own song i made up for them. i've got a nice scar on my cheek from pharaoh when i was lying on my back, holding him up, and singing to him. he kicked me and ran off.

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I talk to the girls all the time - they are the only ones who don't "back talk". :BigSmile:

I am glad this is true for you! My Tim does talk back. For instance, when he gets up on the dinning room table and I tell him "no" or "get down" he jumps right down, but then has to meow defiantly at me. I guess he wants me to know he doesn't really like it when I boss him around. I think that is because we usually do what he wants to do and he is used to all of the attention being focused on him. :Laugh:

Lispott

Lairian
Bill is my little buddy ! I talk to him all the time and he looks at me intelligently and chirps back. He definitely let's me know when he doesn't like something with a louder meeeeeow!
My hubby does most of the singing to him, making up little ditties like "Bill, I love you so, I always will," my boy bill I will see that he's named after me," etc. We also call him Bill-Bo Bagins as we are Tolkein fans. :Smile:

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:ThumbsUp:Yes i do all of the above ALL the time. The older of my 2 new Sphynx was in heat almost all the time before i got her @ just over a year(is now spayed) so she kind of still does really weird "calling" type meowws and surprises herself when they come out really deep and loud. She constantly "talks" and if you do the same sound back she just keeps on and on!!!! If she's last to bed and the automatic lights go out she starts wailing and carrying soft toys around wondering "where is everyone?" Then she "finds" us and just gets into bed and sleeps till morning. The kitten still has a "kitten/higher piched" meow but without the "me"...sounds more like oooowwwww but doesnt constantly "talk".

Funny how diferent 2 can be. The older 1 also has a "flagpole" tail. Almost always keep completely upright. The kitten however is more like a dogs tail. Always wagging/flicking constantly side to side. On your shoulder she nearly has your eyes out!!!! Never upright. Although half cousins they are very different.

WinterLily

Lairian
Mr. Lily and I have long conversations in his language. I have no idea what I'm saying but he has yet to act offended. Like my fellow sphynx owner, the only english language words he knows are food and dinner.

snarkitty

Lairian
Oh I definitely talk to Dorian in human and meows! (And a really embarrassing baby talk as someone mentioned above :LOL: ) I also sing-song his name sometimes. However, I have a tendency to talk to most cats like they understand

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have a my kitten yet but my hair cats, I talk to them all the time and they know what I am saying. All I have to say is treat and they are by my side. The follow me all around the house. I swear my dog is the same. He knows all the words I say lol. I just love my animals I treat them like humans lol..

elleinad8050

Lairian
I chat with Hipo all the time. I always greet him at the door, since he is there waiting when I get home anyways. I also reply to his chatting, mostly lets play meows and I'm hungry. I live alone, so Hipo is really my companion in every sense of the word.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have full conversations with all my cats :LOL: I even craft up responses they might have.

Example:

Mickey: Meowwwwww
Me: No Mickey, you can't go out with your girls tonight.
Me: Don't talk to your mother that way
Me: Don't make me call you dad.

:LOL:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked back to see how old this post was and saw I never replied even way back then. Of course I talk to them...lol. Morning, noon and night! All the sweet talking and mushy stuff yes. I remember when I first started to watch Susi's videos and hubby said omg you and Susi sound alike...lol. Best part is my babies respond whole heartedly and like to talk back.

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Guilty for all of the above! :LOL:
Even heard my boyfriend earlier talking to Mau
"Are you going to the vets to have your stitches out and maybe an X-ray tomorrow Mee Maw, (We call her this all the time)
Then you can play all you want, Isnt that right Roo Roo (Caru's nickname), Awh i love you guys" Then i hear smooching sounds :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back