Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"Ewww it's so ugly"

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a really tough time when I show pictures of my baby and get the "ewwww, it's so ugly." I know it's silly but it really upsets me or hearts my feelings depending on how I feel about the person saying it. I have never told anyone that they had an ugly pet. There's beauty in everyone of them and they add so much to our lives. It's been 2 months since I've had him but I can't get used to it. When I look at my baby, I wonder where my heart was before he came into my life. I cant stand the comments and it's hard for me cuz he's so cute. He's got dirty face but how can you see ugly in this face?
Hello love !
Sorry but I have to say this how I see it !
There is no accounting for taste ! So the saying goes !
Your not responsible for family or friends having no taste ! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder !
The sphynx is the most beautiful nakid baby EVER !
I also have had the omg that is so ugly !
And we become very defensive with our nakid babies as we are with our children ! To me it’s a very very similar love !
I’ve even replied with omg have you looked in a mirror lately ??
I’m not being funny but our nakid babies are prettier than some of my neighbours kids !!!
So I agree it hurts ! But ignore them because they will never know the love and affection we get from our nakid babies ! And hours of fun watching them and their antics
So feel sorry for them
Xxx❤️❤️❤️❤️Xxx

SunnyP

Lairian
All kitties are beautiful! Maybe I'm biased, but I think all my paw boys are very handsome, sphynx or not.
Some people at my office think my naked boy is particularly ugly because he has no hair. I counter it by sending them photos of him very time I sign off my internal work emails. He is my beautiful wrinkle son with a big personality, and they must know!

Voltaire 11.jpg

Sheldon13

Staff member
All kitties are beautiful! Maybe I'm biased, but I think all my paw boys are very handsome, sphynx or not.
Some people at my office think my naked boy is particularly ugly because he has no hair. I counter it by sending them photos of him very time I sign off my internal work emails. He is my beautiful wrinkle son with a big personality, and they must know!

View attachment 94374

Lol that’s great! Hammer the awesomeness into their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
Today I was chatting sphynx with my mom (a siamese , and tabby cat lover ) telling her all about the gorgeous nakids on the lair sharing stories about them .

My own mom told me and I quote

“ ewwwh, they are disgusting , I wouldn’t want one if you gave IT to me , I want something with fur to pet “ and “ I would rather have a guinnea pig “

I promptly replied they come nakid too “

Sigh :( ... no nakid love from mum

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Today I was chatting sphynx with my mom (a siamese , and tabby cat lover ) telling her all about the gorgeous nakids on the lair sharing stories about them .

My own mom told me and I quote

“ ewwwh, they are disgusting , I wouldn’t want one if you gave IT to me , I want something with fur to pet “ and “ I would rather have a guinnea pig “

I promptly replied they come nakid too “

Sigh :( ... no nakid love from mum
Maybe she just needs to meet one. I think people assume that they feel strange to pet. Once people feel their soft, warm skin, most change their mind.

SunnyP

Lairian
Their skin is so soft and warm though. And you can pat them both ways!

I know two friends who are scared of cats.
I introduced them to my naked boy, and they love him. I think it's something to do with the breed's social, cuddly personality. Now whenever they come over, they can't wait to cuddle him.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was once on a morning show with a friend of mine. The segment was about sphynx cats... so we took our naked babies with us. After the segment was done and they uploaded pics on their Instagram I was in shock of all the negativity in the comments... blown away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this makes me so sad!

Allynoelx3

Lairian
I have a really tough time when I show pictures of my baby and get the "ewwww, it's so ugly." I know it's silly but it really upsets me or hearts my feelings depending on how I feel about the person saying it. I have never told anyone that they had an ugly pet. There's beauty in everyone of them and they add so much to our lives. It's been 2 months since I've had him but I can't get used to it. When I look at my baby, I wonder where my heart was before he came into my life. I cant stand the comments and it's hard for me cuz he's so cute. He's got dirty face but how can you see ugly in this face?
He’s soooooo cute! I feel the same way when someone says that about my little girl. But it’s really their loss, these babies are so loving and sweet and lively. It’s a shame they can’t see past something different than what they’re used to!

gojira14

Lairian

Hairless cats are so adorable , people need to be educated and to say someone’s cat is ugly, that’s plain rude and mean. Your baby boy is beautiful

gojira14

Lairian
I’ll be frank. After the first several times I was patient and informative. Now I’m just ugly back. If they have kids, I retort that their kids are ugly. If not, I try to think of something else important to them that I can ridicule.

It’s not great character, I know. But I’ve had enough! Even if you DO think something is ugly, what gives you the right to put down someone you obviously know I love because I’m TELLING you that. Grr. Ugh.

Exactly!!!

cr8zycatlady

Lairian
I see this is an old thread but did a search to see how people handle judgment from others. We just brought our girl home yesterday. She is almost 10 months old, and she named herself Lila on the way home (3 hour drive). She is a complete love bug and we are very happy with her. Then, my sister came over. She was really horrified. 1) that we had another cat and 2) one of those "HAIRLESS....?" The expression on her face made me sad. The little thing sat on my lap and purred the entire time we sat there. I think she will grow on my sister but sheesh. The harsh judgment.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have gotten similar judgements. My response is they need love too and that usually ends it right there. I always try to remember that there are cat people and there are sphynx people. We just get it. lol!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I see this is an old thread but did a search to see how people handle judgment from others. We just brought our girl home yesterday. She is almost 10 months old, and she named herself Lila on the way home (3 hour drive). She is a complete love bug and we are very happy with her. Then, my sister came over. She was really horrified. 1) that we had another cat and 2) one of those "HAIRLESS....?" The expression on her face made me sad. The little thing sat on my lap and purred the entire time we sat there. I think she will grow on my sister but sheesh. The harsh judgment.
Bless I am so used to people having something rude or not so nice to say about my kitty! I just reply she is adorable and very fun! If they don’t stop with the insults, I am usually very assertive and say beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I set Boundaries with folk, as it is not a debate..! Try and not take it personal as some people are shocked until they get to know them!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@cr8zycatlady , awh.. hugs... happiest Lila Gotcha!

sharing, my mom is a total cat person. I have nakids for over a decade.

to this day my mom still says "they are disgusting, cats should have fur" :oops:

all that matters is Lila has her purrfect forever home with the best of love and care. hugs n head smooches to all paws.

I told my mom that's why icecream comes in different flavors, and she has no idea what she is missing, nakids are so velcro cuddly with the most amazing personality.

kellyannallen

Lairian
Hugs and your baby is cute!

I always wanted to see and meet a sphynx before we got Zino, but my wife was of the EWWW! train of thought... When we found the breeder here in Southern Germany, I managed to get her to at least look with me, since neither of us had ever been around these cats..... Needless to say, he knew I was the pushover and spent the whole time tucked under her chin and purring (AREN'T I CUTE?!).... He came home and is now 10 years old!

Her Mom was not sure about him, but now is a convert at least to that they are special! and Zino is of course cute.... My Mom adored him from the beginning....

I teach kindergarten (2-6 year olds) here in Germany.... Most kids think he's cool REALLY cool.... But the other day one little girl (who has three of the fur variety cats) when she saw Zino's picture asked if I shaved him, and was he sick.... "Poor Zino" was her thought.... It took me a moment to make her understand he was born that way, without hair.... and that that's what her cats would look like if they had no fur....

Her response.... "Zino is special.... He's different.... Mine are cuddly and just right for me...." She is 6 years old.... And she then told her parents all about my hairless cat.... And that he was SPECIAL:....

She gets it... Most people will..... There are idiots everywhere and I have stopped trying to educate people about it.... Horses led to water can not be made to drink... I had one colleague who was of the EWWW shuddering and of the GROSS opinion..... She had a pug..... and she wasn't picking on Zino, but another colleagues older sick cat and I told her....

"Neither of OUR pets are bred to be sick their entire lives.... He snorts because he can not BREATHE, He was BRED to be ILL and sick.... That snuffling snorting sound he makes is because he can't get any air like a chain smoker.... Not because it is CUTE to hear...."

She was horrified... and I pointed out simply that if she can't take me saying it, she shouldn't say anything about anyone else's pets...

I can respect someone not liking Zino... Or any pet actually.... But I will not take meanness or someone who thinks they and theirs are better than anyone else....

Hug your beautiful Sphynx.... Know he is just right for you.... and some people do not have the sense to keep their mouth shut.... And also, know we have our Sphynx lovers backs with the idiots of the world who say they are UGLY.....

They don't know how ugly THEY are....

babymeow

Lairian
I had a friend who had said some comments that was beyond just ugly and laughing as if it was a funny comment or a joke and actually said what was I thinking! My mom has said she was ugly when she first saw her but I didn't mind as my mom is not an animal person and although she said it she likes my cat which says a lot. And my older sister who definitely doesn't like animals has grown fond of Nabi and adores her so I'm sure your sister will love your cat! I think the worst comment for me was she has a rat's tail but I love her tail and how it curls.

NewCatMom23

Lairian
I don't think Sphynx cats are 'beautiful' in the way that some other cats are. But their physical selves are interesting and unforgettable. I didn't get my kitten for beauty (I got her for her temperament and behavior). Actually, I think she looks like a baby dragon and I love her look as well as the rest of her.

Back