Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Half sibling kittens fighting extremely rough

VolkoSimone

Lairian
Hey everyone,
My husband and I just picked up two sphynx half siblings, they were raised together and at 3.5 & 4 months old, two neutered males. We brought the first (younger) one home and then 3 days later decided to go get his older brother. They are extremely tolerant of eachother and eat together (separate bowls), play together (separately but beside one another) and at night once we’ve gone to bed they somehow end up sleeping together and we find them together in the morning. The problem is they will stalk and pounce on one another (usually the younger kitten will pounce on the older one) and they will fight hard. Biting at the nape of the neck and trying to get the skin on the stomach until one runs away from the other one. There is no blood and no injuries they’ve only been home together for 3 days now - and are acting normally otherwise eating etc (just not as cuddly with us when they’re together) my husband says this is normal as they’re trying to establish their pecking order in our home. Is that correct? It looks super rough so concerning but they tolerate eachother during all other activities just not affectionate with eachother.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@VolkoSimone your husband is right (hope you didn’t roll your eyes on my response lol) they are trying to determine who is the leader. Also some play very rough naturally. Our boys 4 and 3 years old are pouncing, biting the neck and even screaming on a daily bases. It sounds like one is killing the other and then poof they are cleaning each other and sleeping draped all over one another. Once in a while one gets carried away and we see a scratch always good to have this on hand for scratches, scrapes and burns
632418943123dff0b888e72579b2c1b4.jpg

VolkoSimone

Lairian
@VolkoSimone your husband is right (hope you didn’t roll your eyes on my response lol) they are trying to determine who is the leader. Also some play very rough naturally. Our boys 4 and 3 years old are pouncing, biting the neck and even screaming on a daily bases. It sounds like one is killing the other and then poof they are cleaning each other and sleeping draped all over one another. Once in a while one gets carried away and we see a scratch always good to have this on hand for scratches, scrapes and burns
632418943123dff0b888e72579b2c1b4.jpg
Not rolling my eyes lol my husband is usually right with these kinds of things and I like when everyone is always gentle and getting along. I just wasn’t sure if it was a typical thing as they’re both the same age and grew up together but lo and behold, this morning (as usual in the mornings) they’re snuggling under a blanket in my lap - now I’m rolling my eyes thanks for the recommendation I’ll post some pics of these two goofballs when they hold still enough to get a nice shot.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@VolkoSimone , welcome to the lair family! happy gotchas! what are their names? cant wait for pics and tales! agree establish leader.. my sibling brothers played rough then would cuddle tight extremely bonded. my toby is always the instigator for rough play spurts. I also keep vetericyn spray on hand. one of mine is a drama queen she will make noise just to keep her underlings in their place with no scuffling.

VolkoSimone

Lairian
@VolkoSimone , welcome to the lair family! happy gotchas! what are their names? cant wait for pics and tales! agree establish leader.. my sibling brothers played rough then would cuddle tight extremely bonded. my toby is always the instigator for rough play spurts. I also keep vetericyn spray on hand. one of mine is a drama queen she will make noise just to keep her underlings in their place with no scuffling.
Their names are Volko (chocolate point) and Simone (blue mix) but ironically Volkos name was Toby when we got him from the breeder (he is the instigator as well, must be a name thing) here’s a pic of them separately as it’s increasingly difficult to get them to hold still. These two rough tumblers have captured our hearts and couldn’t be more different in personality.

Attachments

• 861015AE-260E-4EA8-82F6-C99F3F6F2F33.jpeg
    861015AE-260E-4EA8-82F6-C99F3F6F2F33.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 20
  • 585728E3-97DE-41B7-BA16-E45A4596A2E0.jpeg
    585728E3-97DE-41B7-BA16-E45A4596A2E0.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 20

Yoda mom

Staff member
@VolkoSimone , oh my heart, darling Volko and SImone! lol. Toby is my wild child and the only one who loves the onefast cat exercise wheel... I tell him TOby go fast, and he peeks around and runs like the wind on it talking all the way!

what are some of your babies favorite toys? silliest antics? hugs n head smooches.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Such handsome boys! My boys are the same, they can playfight really rough. Ross bites Toa, pins him down untill Toa yelps/screams and runs away with teeth marks in his skin. Five minutes later I find them curled up against eachother in the snuggle pouch!

VolkoSimone

Lairian
@VolkoSimone , oh my heart, darling Volko and SImone! lol. Toby is my wild child and the only one who loves the onefast cat exercise wheel... I tell him TOby go fast, and he peeks around and runs like the wind on it talking all the way!

what are some of your babies favorite toys? silliest antics? hugs n head smooches.

Yes Volko (previously Toby lol) is our rebel without a cause. He wants to be in the middle of everything and everything is about him. Volko loves to play with us and with strings and zippers whereas Simone loves to play on his own with a toy, either a mouse or ball on the floor and he’s got a killer hunter instinct.

The funniest thing is how different they are, if I’m feeding them, Simone is patient and quiet. Volko is meowing at me non stop. Also, Simone like suckling so much so, on the first day we had him I had to go to work with a hickey on my neck because I had no idea what he was doing LOL

They’re so crazy now because they’re still young but hopefully they settle down in a few months.

VolkoSimone

Lairian
Such handsome boys! My boys are the same, they can playfight really rough. Ross bites Toa, pins him down untill Toa yelps/screams and runs away with teeth marks in his skin. Five minutes later I find them curled up against eachother in the snuggle pouch!
Thank you!
Yeah they just scuffled in my lap and Simone kept instigating and ambushed volko on the floor and then Simone got pinned and ran away, 5 min later he came looking for him and laid down beside him over the blanket.

I will try to post a video of them scuffling soon

Attachments

• IMG_0717.MOV
    34.1 MB
Last edited:
Back