Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Heart murmur...now what?

Just got back from taking our 4 month old kitten to the vet. She has a heart murmur. Not a faint one either. The vet suggested I call the breeder and that a cardiologist sees my kitty and does an ultrasound. What's calling the breeder going to do other than notify her that a kitten from her cattery has a murmur? I've had Miu for 6 wks. The breeder is going to say -- send her back and do you want another kitten or want your money back? No good option there. :Cry: The vet said the murmur could be benign, but if it's not...then what could it be? Is this the onset of HCM? I'm rambling. Please respond if you can.
Thanks.

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I very well could be the onset of HCM and very well could just be a heart murmur!.....Did your breeder scan for HCM? ....I know many cats with just heart murmurs and no HCM...I would get her scanned ASAP.....I wish you the best, good luck.

LLevenson

Lairian
I know you must be terrified! There are TONS of posts about HCM on here...do a search and you'll find tons of info and fellow 'Lair members who are in a similar situation.

I could be incorrect on any of the following statements (so anyone, please feel free to correct me!): but it is my understanding that it's not recommended to do an ultrasound until they are at least a year old (I think b/c they are growing so much and alot can change in that time?) Also, that it is common for kittens to have heart murmurs but they can outgrow them.

That being said, it is very worrisome when you find that out from the vet! My Arias has mild HCM and sometimes at the vet they hear a murmur and then other times they don't hear it at all. It really depends on if he is stressed or not. A heart murmur doesn't always mean that there is HCM. Arias is healthy, active, and doing great so if it does turn out that your kitten has HCM, you will find lots of support here!

You definitely should do an ultrasound when the time is right (perhaps you can ask the cardiologist if under one years old is too young? no sense paying for the u/s if at that age it is inconclusive). I agree w/ you, "trading in" your kitty for a new one is NOT an option!!! It only takes a matter of minutes before our little hairless babies are a part of us.....giving them up b/c they aren't perfect is never going to happen (at least w/ all of here on SL!)

You will get more answers in time....just love up on your baby. I can share some of the natural things we are doing w/ Arias if you are interested...let me know

susi794

Staff member
First of all, don't panic. A heart murmur doesn't necessarily mean HCM. They can have HCM with no murmur at all and vice versa. It concerns me that your vet told you to call the breeder and to schedule an scan with a cardiologist from just hearing a murmur on a 4 month old kitten. I would get a second opinion--as very often one vet hears a murmur and the next does not. And LLevenson is correct-- we've had many kittens here on the Lair that have apparently outgrown their heart murmurs with no further issues at all.
Most of the time we don't scan until one year, but if your vet is telling you to have this baby scanned now, maybe the murmur is more severe than we are understanding from just your post and if that is the case, you need to do it as soon as you can. I do think that a second opinion won't hurt--just to see if the next vet hears a murmur. Please keep us informed.

WILL BE PRAYING THAT IT'S NOTHING,
Susi and the gang

I know you must be terrified! There are TONS of posts about HCM on here...do a search and you'll find tons of info and fellow 'Lair members who are in a similar situation.

I could be incorrect on any of the following statements (so anyone, please feel free to correct me!): but it is my understanding that it's not recommended to do an ultrasound until they are at least a year old (I think b/c they are growing so much and alot can change in that time?) Also, that it is common for kittens to have heart murmurs but they can outgrow them.

That being said, it is very worrisome when you find that out from the vet! My Arias has mild HCM and sometimes at the vet they hear a murmur and then other times they don't hear it at all. It really depends on if he is stressed or not. A heart murmur doesn't always mean that there is HCM. Arias is healthy, active, and doing great so if it does turn out that your kitten has HCM, you will find lots of support here!

You definitely should do an ultrasound when the time is right (perhaps you can ask the cardiologist if under one years old is too young? no sense paying for the u/s if at that age it is inconclusive). I agree w/ you, "trading in" your kitty for a new one is NOT an option!!! It only takes a matter of minutes before our little hairless babies are a part of us.....giving them up b/c they aren't perfect is never going to happen (at least w/ all of here on SL!)

You will get more answers in time....just love up on your baby. I can share some of the natural things we are doing w/ Arias if you are interested...let me know

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Susi, I would get a second opinion from another vet or even call a cardiologist and see if they can shed some light on the situation. If it is serious as your vet says, you should get her tested. also if you trust and are comfortable with your vets opinion, please follow through. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I totally agree with what everyone says here. Lots of kittens can have heart murmurs which they will eventually outgrow. Get a 2nd opinion then go from there. Please keep us posted:Smile:

StephanieU

Lairian
When my little Binker was almost a year I took her into a vet for a routine check-up and left in hysterics because he told me she had a grade 4 (?) heart murmur! He told me all of these tests that she needed done immediately. Apparently he didn't think I would get a second opinion because when I did they detected NO murmur. I was relieved, but felt like I was taken advantage of. The second vet told me that kittens can murmurs, but they go away and are harmless.

Bottom line: Get a second opinion.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just got back from taking our 4 month old kitten to the vet. She has a heart murmur. Not a faint one either. The vet suggested I call the breeder and that a cardiologist sees my kitty and does an ultrasound. What's calling the breeder going to do other than notify her that a kitten from her cattery has a murmur? I've had Miu for 6 wks. The breeder is going to say -- send her back and do you want another kitten or want your money back? No good option there. :Cry: The vet said the murmur could be benign, but if it's not...then what could it be? Is this the onset of HCM? I'm rambling. Please respond if you can.
Thanks.

Did the vet rate the murmur for you, I know there is a scale that goes from 1-6 I believe it was. When I brought Hudson in for his 48 hour check after purchasing him the vet scared the daylights out of me saying he had a very loud murmur graded at a 6. I took him for a second opinion to a vet who has dealt with Sphynx's and Rex's. She graded his murmur at a 1. When I took him back in for his last set of shots his murmur had progressed to a stage 2. I was so upset. I'm hoping it doesnt progress anymore. Just to be safe my vet wants to do an ultrasound before he gets neutered to make sure his heart can handle the anesthesia. I hope Hudson's and your little ones murmurs turns out to be an innocent kitten murmur that they can live a full life with. I heard murmurs NEVER heal themselves, seems to be up in the air on that depending who you talk to.

Miu had a cardiac ultrasound yesterday and she has a mild to moderate case of HCM. I am devastated...just sick. She has to take 2 medications and possibly baby aspirin to prevent a clot. There are lots of variables, of course, so they couldn't give me a solid prognosis, but best case scenario is maybe a couple of years if she's responds to the medication. The cardiologist was concerned that a kitten so young (almost 5 months) has HCM and it's this bad. And no, I will NOT be sending her back. That isn't an option! (Which a "friend" told me to do since a Sphynx is so expensive, etc., like she's a damn piece of furniture or something!!! That really frosted my cookies!) Any advice or suggestions or whatever will be greatly appreciated. The HCM club is one I did not wish to join. :(

Thanks for listening.

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry....HCM is awful.:Cry::Cry:...Is your breeder giving you a refund? I don't blame you for not sending her back. I could never send one of mine back......I don't understand how people can say that.....

Thank you. I'm not sure what she's going to offer me. I'm not even sure what I should ask for. Do I ask for another kitten (from totally different lines) or ask for a partial/full refund? What do you all think is fair?

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well here is my issue.....Does she scan her breeding cats?..My guess would have to be no if she is selling kittens with HCM @5mo. Now I could be off base, HCM does happen but I would be questioning it.....A good breeder would give you a refund, but many of us(myself included) don't find out our breeders are not good tell it's to late!..I would look at a 2nd kitten ONLY if its lines were scanned for HMC...If not I would be expecting a refund...Thats just my .02 tho.......Good luck and again I'm sorry...

rogerswabbit

Lairian
Thank you. I'm not sure what she's going to offer me. I'm not even sure what I should ask for. Do I ask for another kitten (from totally different lines) or ask for a partial/full refund? What do you all think is fair?

I've never been in this situation nor do I know what's proper for this situation but if it were me I would probably ask for a refund and offer to care for the kitten's medical needs properly. I would offer documentation to prove I wasn't just trying to get a free cat but would explain the attachment had already been formed and I don't see how any cat lover wouldn't understand that. The amount that is going to have to be spent in medical cost will outweigh the cost of the cat. Someone is going to have to bare that expense either way.

I am sure there are breeders that can probably give you better advice but that is where I would start. With that said..I'm not so sure you will get your money back but it doesn't mean it's not a fair thing to ask. In our contract it stated we could receive a replacement but there were no money back guarantees.

This is a heart breaking situation and I am so sorry you and your kitten have to go through all this. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, you guys. You've really been great. Miu took her first doses of medication last night with no ill effects, so fingers crossed. We sent the breeder the cardiologist's report, so she'll know we aren't making any of this up. I'll have to read my contract over again to make certain what the guarantee entails, but as I've already said -- I will NOT be sending my little love back. If that somehow voids the guarantee then I guess TFB for me. Also, I'm assuming the contractual obligation to spay her is off the table, given that anesthesia isn't recommended. Thoughts?

Ok, must think of something else before I burst into tears. Again.

Thanks for the support, you guys. I'm glad I have Sphynxlair.

Big Hoss

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't fix her....The breeder shouldn't want you to endanger her, so my guess is it would be void.....(It would be for me anyways:Wink: Ten men and a boy couldn't make me say that kitten..lol)

SpinkieMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Miu had a cardiac ultrasound yesterday and she has a mild to moderate case of HCM. I am devastated...just sick. She has to take 2 medications and possibly baby aspirin to prevent a clot. There are lots of variables, of course, so they couldn't give me a solid prognosis, but best case scenario is maybe a couple of years if she's responds to the medication. The cardiologist was concerned that a kitten so young (almost 5 months) has HCM and it's this bad. And no, I will NOT be sending her back. That isn't an option! (Which a "friend" told me to do since a Sphynx is so expensive, etc., like she's a damn piece of furniture or something!!! That really frosted my cookies!) Any advice or suggestions or whatever will be greatly appreciated. The HCM club is one I did not wish to join. :(

Thanks for listening.

You have Miu now and you are determined to keep and take care of her no matter what. It's a sh*!!y bunch of cards you've been dealt. But don't waste your precious time together, whether it is 20 days or 20 years, on regret. Be with her in the moment NOW and every day, because you won't be wishing you'd spent more time worrying and crying later.

Thanks everyone. I'm so relieved to have you guys to help me through this. I look at Miu and burst into tears from time to time, mostly when I try to imagine life without her. Our companion animals leave us too soon as it is, and to hasten that time is beyond painful.

On a happier note -- she had her Sunday spa day -- nails, bath & ears. She doesn't care for it much, but I make it as fast as I can & give her lots of treats. I don't like stressing her, especially now, but as we all know, good Sphynxie grooming is essential for good health.

chicosmom

Lairian
Hi to all! I just came back from my vet. Chico was not eating or drinking (since last night). Low and behold he has a fever of 104 (virus) but vet discovered a heart murmur (a 5 out of 6). Going back to the vet later for ultrasound. Not a great day :(

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi to all! I just came back from my vet. Chico was not eating or drinking (since last night). Low and behold he has a fever of 104 (virus) but vet discovered a heart murmur (a 5 out of 6). Going back to the vet later for ultrasound. Not a great day :(

I thought 104 is the normal temperature of a Sphynx?! I'm so sorry to hear about the murmur, how old is Chico? When I took Hudson for his 48 hour check the vet scared the lights out of me by telling me he had a very loud murmur graded it at a 6. We were devastated. We went for a second opinion as the vet who examined him hadnt dealt with Sphynxs before. I ended up finding a great vet with Sphynx experience and she graded his murmur at a 1, on his next visit to see her it had progressed to a stage 2. We had him in today and she could barely detect the murmur, grading it at less than a 1. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. The vet you took Chico to are they familiar with the breed? If not I would recommend a second opinion also.

chicosmom

Lairian
Chico is 5 years old. We lost our other Sphynx on July 23, 2011 (Raisin - 13-1/2 years old). Chico was very sad and lonely. We decided to adopt a rescued (haired) kitten. We've had the kitten for exactly 1 week. Chico didn't eat or drink since yesterday, and he felt very warm, so we took him to the vet. She was doing a regular examination when she discovered the murmur. My daughter in law is a vet. oncologist in TX. She said that the 5 out of 6 rating for the murmur is not good. I guess we'll find out later after the sonogram

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Chico is 5 years old. We lost our other Sphynx on July 23, 2011 (Raisin - 13-1/2 years old). Chico was very sad and lonely. We decided to adopt a rescued (haired) kitten. We've had the kitten for exactly 1 week. Chico didn't eat or drink since yesterday, and he felt very warm, so we took him to the vet. She was doing a regular examination when she discovered the murmur. My daughter in law is a vet. oncologist in TX. She said that the 5 out of 6 rating for the murmur is not good. I guess we'll find out later after the sonogram

When you brought the rescue home did you quarantine? I'm so sorry to hear about the murmur and your recent loss of Raisin:Cry: I know it's not an easy thing to deal with.

Mmama Llama

Lairian

Thanks for listening.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mmama Llama , welcome to the lair family. this is an older thread and I could only see the quote and not your comment. feel free to start you own post on main page , and intro. we are here for you. all paws are family. hugs n head smooches.

Mmama Llama

Lairian
Unfortunately our kitten
@Mmama Llama , welcome to the lair family. this is an older thread and I could only see the quote and not your comment. feel free to start you own post on main page , and intro. we are here for you. all paws are family. hugs n head smooches.
Thank you! We have an wonderful 5 month old Sphinx and we love her so much. Grade 3 murmur just detected today. She sees the cardiologist next week. We’re worried.
Thanks again for the message.

Attachments

• BB82ADE9-5E8C-46DB-9CC3-0D951C4CD151.jpeg
    BB82ADE9-5E8C-46DB-9CC3-0D951C4CD151.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 31

Castiel

Lairian
Did the vet rate the murmur for you, I know there is a scale that goes from 1-6 I believe it was. When I brought Hudson in for his 48 hour check after purchasing him the vet scared the daylights out of me saying he had a very loud murmur graded at a 6. I took him for a second opinion to a vet who has dealt with Sphynx's and Rex's. She graded his murmur at a 1. When I took him back in for his last set of shots his murmur had progressed to a stage 2. I was so upset. I'm hoping it doesnt progress anymore. Just to be safe my vet wants to do an ultrasound before he gets neutered to make sure his heart can handle the anesthesia. I hope Hudson's and your little ones murmurs turns out to be an innocent kitten murmur that they can live a full life with. I heard murmurs NEVER heal themselves, seems to be up in the air on that depending who you talk to.
Hi I need some advice please. I took my 3 year old to vet last night for booster and was told he had a stage 2-3 murmur!
I am so devastated and wonder how this was not picked up 12 months ago. I have standard pet insurance and he suggested to get a scan ASAP to investigate but he had to write on notes and that no insurer would cover the cost of the scan now. Also at that visit he took my other pet marty (jack russell)to cut his nails out the back and forgot to give him his booster! Can anyone please give me any help as I think its either money making scheme or incompetence.

Back