Roni
Lairian
- Joined
- Apr 3, 2016
- Messages
- 17
- Points
- 4
Ok, sphynx ladies (and gents). I've been agonizing over this and wondering who I could talk to, then remembered this vast community of people who would know exactly what I was going through and would be able to give me some advice. I've posted here before, but here's the quick summary before I get into what brings me here tonight:
My beloved sphynx cat Vlad passed away in March, after almost a year of battling an "almost HCM" heart condition (it was basically HCM, but with atypical heart muscle thickening). It was frankly heart-breaking and traumatic to me in the year between his diagnosis and his death. Vlad was the world to me, and every time he started breathing a bit funky I wondered whether it would be the end. I was so glad to have him for that final year, but I have a feeling that the insecurity and pain has really fed into my current issues.
Now, I've finally paid off his copious vet bills and have allowed myself to look for another cat again. I've been actively looking for about a month and a half, posting every now and then here with questions. It's really felt like I've been taking two steps forward and one step back throughout the process. I've slowly eased my way into accepting and preparing for my next cat, done a crapton of research, and met potential cats both in shelters and with breeders. There have been a couple times I was SO SURE I was about to meet my next cat... only to find out that it wouldn't work out for some reason or another.
This last time was tougher than the others. I used to take setbacks in stride, but now whenever something doesn't work out as planned, I get utterly miserable and wonder whether I should just give up the cat search and live alone. I thought I was ready for a cat. Rationally, I know it'd be good for me. But I just... keep rejecting cats because they don't immediately act like my Vlad did. What I had with Vlad was so special, I'm just so afraid that if I pick the wrong cat, I'll never feel that sort of bond again.
:cry: I'm sorry for turning this into a confessional, I just really need to get this out of my system. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Can anyone tell me something that helped them power through their grief and uncertainty to get another cat?
Vlad was the first cat that was really "mine" in adulthood, so right now, I've never had a solo bond that powerful with an animal before...
My beloved sphynx cat Vlad passed away in March, after almost a year of battling an "almost HCM" heart condition (it was basically HCM, but with atypical heart muscle thickening). It was frankly heart-breaking and traumatic to me in the year between his diagnosis and his death. Vlad was the world to me, and every time he started breathing a bit funky I wondered whether it would be the end. I was so glad to have him for that final year, but I have a feeling that the insecurity and pain has really fed into my current issues.
Now, I've finally paid off his copious vet bills and have allowed myself to look for another cat again. I've been actively looking for about a month and a half, posting every now and then here with questions. It's really felt like I've been taking two steps forward and one step back throughout the process. I've slowly eased my way into accepting and preparing for my next cat, done a crapton of research, and met potential cats both in shelters and with breeders. There have been a couple times I was SO SURE I was about to meet my next cat... only to find out that it wouldn't work out for some reason or another.
This last time was tougher than the others. I used to take setbacks in stride, but now whenever something doesn't work out as planned, I get utterly miserable and wonder whether I should just give up the cat search and live alone. I thought I was ready for a cat. Rationally, I know it'd be good for me. But I just... keep rejecting cats because they don't immediately act like my Vlad did. What I had with Vlad was so special, I'm just so afraid that if I pick the wrong cat, I'll never feel that sort of bond again.
:cry: I'm sorry for turning this into a confessional, I just really need to get this out of my system. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Can anyone tell me something that helped them power through their grief and uncertainty to get another cat?
Vlad was the first cat that was really "mine" in adulthood, so right now, I've never had a solo bond that powerful with an animal before...