Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

How many of you named your sphynx a human name?

tkmaune

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've had kitties in the past with human names.
My first cat was named Murphy after Murphy Brown. Then I had a big 30lb orange cat named Maxamillion. Max for short. We got him from my grandmas friend who was moving out of state and he already had that name.

Now we have Orphious (a Greek name that is usually spelt Orpheus) we have Oslit (my niece named him because she thinks he looks like an ocelot) and Nipsey.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well we use lots of human names in my house...

Hairry~ Sphynx
Violet ~ Sphynx
Savannah ~Shih tzu
Sophie ~ Basset hound
Sheldon ~ Dachsund-pitbull mix~~ Yes, you read that right!

susi794

Staff member
My Othie Marie was born on my mother's birthday. My mom's name was Othela Mae, but when we were feeling playful, we called her Othie.
Lulu was named after the comic book character Little Lulu which I loved reading when I was small.
Junie B. is named for the children's book character--Junie B. Jones.
Pearly Mae is named after my maternal grandmother whose name was Pearl and the Mae was my mom's middle name.
Dulcinea was named after Don Quixote's girlfriend.
Moody's name is actually Mahmoody Blue--Mahmoody was the surname of the husband of the woman who wrote the book "Not Without My Daughter" (There was a movie by the same name with Sally Field.) And I also loved the Moody Blues.

Last edited:

andyhoi

Lairian
My little boy is named Maeby, after Maeby Funke from Arested Development. A weird one, but he's named after a human :p

shunterx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
GoldHazel - did you get Chucky and Angelica from Rugrats? If I'm not mistaken, they were siblings.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've had kitties in the past with human names.
My first cat was named Murphy after Murphy Brown. Then I had a big 30lb orange cat named Maxamillion. Max for short. We got him from my grandmas friend who was moving out of state and he already had that name.

Now we have Orphious (a Greek name that is usually spelt Orpheus) we have Oslit (my niece named him because she thinks he looks like an ocelot) and Nipsey.

Haha, I had a big, fat orange cat too years and years ago. He had a 23" waist measurement and I had 23 1/2"! He also weighed like 30 lbs.
"Max" sounds like a perfect name for a maximum size cat. LOL

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
GoldHazel - did you get Chucky and Angelica from Rugrats? If I'm not mistaken, they were siblings.

Yes, I certainly got Chucky and Angelica's names from the Rugrats! LOL I also had a pair of Russian tortoises that I named, "Phil & Lil"! LOL

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well we use lots of human names in my house...

Hairry~ Sphynx
Violet ~ Sphynx
Savannah ~Shih tzu
Sophie ~ Basset hound
Sheldon ~ Dachsund-pitbull mix~~ Yes, you read that right!

Please tell me that the doxy was male and the pit was female!

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hugo and Graddy are human names too, well Graddy is more a surname because his breeder named him as the ambassador of her Cattery which is based on Irish legends and she named them both. We wouldn't want to change what the grew up with and we like the names. :BigSmile:

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love to use human names, I also like greek mythology names. I only have one fur baby that came to me named and it fits him I honestly never thought to change it but he is the exception. My elf cat is Apollo, and my sphynx which I pick up in 6 days is going to have a name I made up because I want to keep all my pets from this catttery with A names if possible. Amadeus is one of my favorite he's gray tiger stripe with the prettiest golded shape eye. My next girl might b anastasia :Wink2:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our animals always have human-type names. Currently we have Cleopatra and her furry cohorts Kermit and Sydney. Our cats over the years have had names that range from John (our son's favorite name when he was 3) to BJ (a bottle-fed foundling whom I named after my mom). The best human-type name we had for a pet was our German Shepard's name, Telemark's Greystoke of Crescent City. Greystoke was Tarzan's name in the books and movies, and our Greystoke was a big, strong, dignified dog--a perfect fit for the name.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I will post one later this evening... I will put his name in the subject "Sheldon"

I'm so behind ... I have to catch up with reading threads and posts, etc., but in the meantime, I couldn't find your "Sheldon" pic. Did you post it yet?

Back