Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I think I am overly freaking myself out....

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
For the past 2 weeks George has had EXCESSIVE diarrhea. At first, it wasn't frequent, but now it's several times a day. I had him on Wellness Core(he still had some diarrhea with this brand), but I ran out and Shawn picked up Wellness Salmon. After having to bathe him more than once daily from him being covered in _____(well; you know) and having to clean the carpet, several of his blankies, and my bedsheets I decided to go to the Petstore one night after class and purchase another brand of cat food. I ended up buying Spots Stew for Sensitive cats and I have been mixing it in with his Wellness Salmon. It hasn't helped though, and he is still having diarrhea. I, at first thought it was the change in food, or possibly that he sneaks the other cat's senior formula food at times, but now I really think its something else. Its crunch time now at school and I have been extremely busy studying and working. Shawn has also been very busy. I'm just at a loss, and I'm hoping he doesn't have anything serious. He has been growing a lot of rougher hair lately; which made me freak out about the possibility of FIP. He's 6 months now. If he contracted FIP from his cattery wouldn't it have shown up earlier? I have a feeling I'm probably over freaking out, but he's my baby. I'm going to try to take him to the vet tomorrow between finals. It will be tight, but he needs to go to the Dr.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Worry less about FIP and more about the diarrhea. FIP is noted by symptoms other than diarrhea and hair coat/skin changes. The most concerning thing for your little man right now is the risk of dehydration.

Instead of trying to go between finals, drop him off at your vet's office first thing in the AM and let them run a fecal analysis on him. It needs to be determined if he has any underlying parasites. Your vet will likely put him on medications to calm his stomach and to help with the diarrhea. I would recommend adding 1 tsp of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just pure pumpkin) twice daily to his food to help absorb the extra water in the bowels. This should be continued 2 weeks past when his stool is normal again. It would also be wise to use a probiotic on him like Propectalin, Probiocin, etc.

The main thing here is that you need to find a food that won't cause diarrhea. Obviously, Core isn't doing it. I would not recommend any fish because this commonly causes GI upset and diarrhea in cats. Chicken or turkey would be a better choice. I like Merrick Before Grain Chicken and Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb and Oatmeal the best for sensitive stomachs that need a sensitive diet.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Anytime I give any food with fish in it our 2 get diarrhea. Since there was no food change before the diarrea started I would get to the vet and see what is going on, and leave him on the food he was always on until you have your answer, but to keep changing food can make things worse.Adding something to help firm it up is fine like pitrottmommy's pumkin.
Let us know what the vet said, and good luck at the vet and with your finals:ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope he feels better.
Can you try baby food.
My Cleo was throwing up and the vet put her on 2 meds and baby food and she is fine now.
I just have to find a new food for her.
FIP can show up years later.
It comes from the corona virus.
It sounds like he has a problem alot of sphynx end up with.
I would take him to the vet and get fluids.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I dropped George off at the vet today. He will be staying the night for tests and I will pick him up tomorrow after a final. This morning I was all ready to go, I planned on dropping him off and then running to class. Well it didn't go that smoothly. Right when I picked him up to put him in his carrier, he started coughing and then tooted extremely loud. He ended up shooting diarrhea on my arm, shirt, hair, and on himself. We both had to take a quick shower. It was very gross and I felt so bad for him. :( Thank you all for the get well wishes. I will let you all know what the vet says.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope he feels better.
Can you try baby food.
My Cleo was throwing up and the vet put her on 2 meds and baby food and she is fine now.
I just have to find a new food for her.
FIP can show up years later.
It comes from the corona virus.
It sounds like he has a problem alot of sphynx end up with.
I would take him to the vet and get fluids.

Baby cat food? Isn't 6 months too old for that?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dropped George off at the vet today. He will be staying the night for tests and I will pick him up tomorrow after a final. This morning I was all ready to go, I planned on dropping him off and then running to class. Well it didn't go that smoothly. Right when I picked him up to put him in his carrier, he started coughing and then tooted extremely loud. He ended up shooting diarrhea on my arm, shirt, hair, and on himself. We both had to take a quick shower. It was very gross and I felt so bad for him. :( Thank you all for the get well wishes. I will let you all know what the vet says.

Sorry I'm joining this thread a little late, but what George is going through right now sounds awful, especially if the poor little guy can't help but shoot the squirts at you, too. :Sweat: I feel so bad for the little guy. I think you did the right thing by taking him to the vet...hopefully, they'll be able to find out what's wrong with him so that he get started on the road to recovery!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Right when I picked him up to put him in his carrier, he started coughing and then tooted extremely loud. He ended up shooting diarrhea on my arm, shirt, hair, and on himself. We both had to take a quick shower.

I know it was a rough on you, but this absolutely made my day. I doubt there's a day at my job where I don't go through something like this...makes me feel good to think someone else also experiences the less "fortunate" end of owning animals.

Let us know how things go! Be glad today's finals are done!

Brooke

Banned
I know it was a rough on you, but this absolutely made my day. I doubt there's a day at my job where I don't go through something like this...makes me feel good to think someone else also experiences the less "fortunate" end of owning animals.

Let us know how things go! Be glad today's finals are done!

Oh geez, so true!!! During the 3 years I worked for a vet, I probably went, oh, 3 days without getting poop on myself! :LOL:

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon. Please keep us posted!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I typically do not get animal poo on me, but I worked with children(newborn with health problems) for several years and my "cologne" consisted of baby spit up and baby poo.

Back