Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Impossible to keep clean!

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
My 1 and half year old baby is impossible to clean/keep clean. She's bathed once a week and the next day she's covered again and almost looks rusty in places like her tummy, under legs, neck and has dirt spots all over. Also her bottom is constantly dirty and smells so requires extra cleaning.

Any ideas on what I can use or if there's a skin issue going on here?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Usually it happens from not rinsing fully. The areas you mention are the hardest to rinse. Rule of thumb rinse fully and then rinse again. Also always use clean water to rinse, not water already in the tub. @Amelia Cooper

You might also try washing every 2 weeks ...some get greasier with over washing, but the rusty thing makes me think not rinsing fully. I know it happened to me...washed and next day orangey.

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
Thank you for the reply. I have tried your suggestion but am still getting a very dirty cat within a day. I'm wondering if it's possibly dirt clinging to dry skin?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can see dirt starting the next day on my light colored Sphynxes (2 of them)....on the one that's dark you can't tell. I'm bathing them myself now but I used to take them to a groomer and it was the same thing, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing.

Amelia Cooper

Lairian
This is a day after a bath

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_010027.jpg
    IMG_20200522_010027.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 108

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thank you for the reply. I have tried your suggestion but am still getting a very dirty cat within a day. I'm wondering if it's possibly dirt clinging to dry skin?

Something I noticed just recently is that my cat gets a lot less dirty since we switched to a different litter. I think it’s because she is doing less digging so she’s not flicking the particles up on her belly and hind legs.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My boys are dirty a day after their baths. I try to bath them as less as possible. Maybe try changing the litter to see if this reduces the dirt?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Or just put a little shirt on her for a day. If it's the litter it won't go through the shirt and that way you don't have to go through the hassle of changing litter for nothing.

oolahappi

Lairian
I echo the other posters, don't over bathe. Use wet wipes in between. I use a cotton pad with coconut oil to wipe under necks, under arms and on the poop chute - it gets the dirty parts clean quickly and moisturizes.

MatildaA32

Lairian
I’m having the same issue with my 7month old Sphynx. I bath him and the next day he’s orange. I wipe him but this seems to make him worse, I make sure I rinse suds off. But all I’m told is it is his sweat. The vet in the UK doesn’t know of any shampoo to recommend for the breed, the breeder suggested I change his litter which I’ve also done.
nothing seems to be solving the situation.

MatildaA32

Lairian
not sure if this is avail in your area or online. I use it on cotton squares to wipe arm pits, tummies, chins, really gets the brown off. I use it to clean ears and nail beds. my vet got me hooked on it 20 yrs ago. I like that it is dual purpose. mine hate spa day . I do wipe down with trizultra 2x a week. worked much better than baby wipes for my 4. what litter are you using? they can have skin reactions to walnut and wheat litters, scented litters

View attachment 100023
[/QUOT thank you. This I’ve found advertised as an ear cleanser.. but if it’s the same think I’m willing to try, I have used catsan, clay and now I’m trying Siria which is advertised as dust free and natural and although is quite messy I must admit I’m preferring so far but still a mucky little kitten as yet.

Attachments

• 5143AD25-4E66-4F6B-951E-F83B86C37BFB.jpeg
    5143AD25-4E66-4F6B-951E-F83B86C37BFB.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47

Sheldon13

Staff member

I used to use Epiotic and I felt like it left a sticky residue. That’s part of why I switched to TrizULTRA

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom @Sheldon13 Do you guys use Trizulta on the body?

I've been using baby wipes but they are just OK. I have Trizulta for their ears so I'm ready to go, but I just need to make sure it's gentle enough to use every day. Can yall let me know please?

Edit: I just looked this up and the same company sells another product called Triz Chlor which has chlorhexadine. Has anyone tried this other product? It sounds similar to the Duoxo brand but cheaper......

Chlorhexadine is what I use to bathe Henry and the wipes are for in between baths. I'm afraid of using medicine on him every day but he needs daily wipedowns.

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom I will buy those big wipes. Let me just explain what I'm trying to do and you tell me if this makes sense.

This is all for Henry. He's already being bathed weekly with Duoxo Chlorhexidine shampoo but he needs DAILY wiping so he doesn't get a staph infection. I'm afraid to apply something that will dry his skin out and I don't know what all the goblygook on the labels really is. So my question is this, do you know for sure that Trizulta+keto is safe to use on their body every day?

PS-Duoxo makes pads that I've been using and they work well, but they are small and expensive. If I have to keep using them I will, but if there's something else I can use that's more economical then great.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando
awh Henry. I do not use it everyday. I will say I have not found it to be drying using it 2-3xs a week. x4 nakids. I would call the manufacturer and ask if it ok for daily use. the duoxo chlor. is a great shampoo btw. they also make a duoxo mousse you could ask if this could be used daily?

brainstorming, wonder if a few teenie drops of duoo shampoo diluted in a large pitcher of water with baby faceclothes would be okay for daily wipe downs? I know I have used hytlyt that way in the past before using the trizultura

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom All good ideas. The Duoxo products are really good. I love that the Duoxo pads are safe for every day.

In the interest of saving some money, I'm going to try alternating the pads with Trizulta every other day. If that doesn't work, then I'll try a few drops of Duoxo shampoo diluted in water. Thanks.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OK well forget that plan.

Today was the 5th day after the bath. In the morning I saw he was getting the usual rash so I cleaned him with a Duoxo pad. By afternoon he was just as red as if I had done nothing. I decided to heck with the regimented schedule and I gave him a bath. The Duoxo shampoo helps a lot; within a few hours he looked a lot better.

I guess I'm just going to have to bathe him more often (much to his dismay).

Sheldon13

Staff member
OK well forget that plan.

Today was the 5th day after the bath. In the morning I saw he was getting the usual rash so I cleaned him with a Duoxo pad. By afternoon he was just as red as if I had done nothing. I decided to heck with the regimented schedule and I gave him a bath. The Duoxo shampoo helps a lot; within a few hours he looked a lot better.

I guess I'm just going to have to bathe him more often (much to his dismay).

That’s a bummer.

Back