Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lysine Overdose? :(

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She has me worrying again! :Sad:

I came home this evening from work to a brand new bag of Lysine Treats torn open. No doubt she ate the treats, but just how many? I just got them last night and left them on the counter. I was an hour late from work today (doing overtime) so I was about an hour late on their feeding schedule. . .Anyway, I noticed Stella was drinking quite a bit of water and barely touched her food. I kept an eye on her. About 30 minutes ago, I found her throwing up. There was a large quantity of vomit on the floor and a few "after shocks" here and there. I'm really scared! I know it's related to the Lysine Treats. I called the ER to ask about the possible overdose and they informed me that overdosing on Lysine Treats will not be toxic for her system and it sounds like it just didn't settle well on her tummy. I hope that's all it is! She drank a little more water after the throwing up episode. Right now she's tucked in some fleece blankets and seems alert. Has this happened to anyone? Anything I should know?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There was a time Mr. Blackwell ate at least 10 while I had my back turned. He threw up and was fine not long later. No worries!:ThumbsUp:

I read on the bag they can be fed up to 10 daily. . . . but I imagine it's not "10 at once". :Dizzy: Glad to hear he was fine! I've never seen Stella throw up like that, so it was shocking.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone. I see it's a normal reaction to an upset stomach. Like I said, I've never seen her do that. Seemed like she had enough throw up for all the neighborhood kitties combined.

I think the worse news is that she's not going to want these treats anymore. . .:Dizzy:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had one throw up once after wolfing her food down. She ran and jumped into her litter box retching and then proceeded to throw up over the side of the box onto the floor. Oh well, at least she tried to be considerate. :LOL:

I'm sure Stella will be fine, especially if she's brought it all back up. Not fun though :ThumbsDown:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had one throw up once after wolfing her food down. She ran and jumped into her litter box retching and then proceeded to throw up over the side of the box onto the floor. Oh well, at least she tried to be considerate. :LOL:

I'm sure Stella will be fine, especially if she's brought it all back up. Not fun though :ThumbsDown:

LOL :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Hi Dani,
It's hard to OD on amino acids - they will just pee out what they don't use. Most likely she has her tummy ache from the other ingredients in the treats, and not so much from the Lysine!

When these treats were brand new on the market, my vet put a sample of them aside for me. His office cat, "Miss Kitty", tore the bag open and ate them all. She was just fine and he wasn't at all concerned. In fact, he was glad he at least knew the treats were tasty!

If she's still sick tomorrow (i.e. her appetite isn't back or if she's not behaving normally), I would have her looked at, but I wouldn't worry.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I've had my cats eat far to much Taurine, but never lysine.

Be that as it may, did you check with the other contents of the bag? Many times if it's not one ingredient that is considered toxic, another can be. Did you disclose fully all of the ingredients or, at very least, the name of the product? Better to be safe than sorry...

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Poor baby girl. I hope her tummy is feeling better soon. Snuffie is notorious for tearing open her food bag or treat bags so I've started putting her food and treats in containers that she can not open. I fixed her!!!! LOL She is such a onry thing! lol

susi794

Staff member
It seems to be either they LOVE them or can't stand them. The ones of mine that won't eat the treats love the paste kind that's milk flavored....but it's really pricey when you have a bunch of cats--the cheapest way to administer for me is to smash up the tablets that I buy at WalMart and mix with food--they ALL eat it then.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It seems to be either they LOVE them or can't stand them. The ones of mine that won't eat the treats love the paste kind that's milk flavored....but it's really pricey when you have a bunch of cats--the cheapest way to administer for me is to smash up the tablets that I buy at WalMart and mix with food--they ALL eat it then.

Yup!! I do the mashy thing every morning!!! Do they make a pill smasher?? I think it would be a lovely investment! lol

Back