Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New sphynx owner - questions!

vxsphynx

Lairian
Hello!

I'm new to the site and also new sphynx mom! I've always wanted a cat, but have always had very bad cat allergies until I found this breed. One of my good friends has two full grown sphynx males - and I just absolutely adored them and only had mild symptoms at most! I was so excited. I did my research for the most part of last year and looked/waited months before I found the right breeder with the qualifications I was looking for. Fast forward to now, I have my cute nakie boy!

My fiance and I work 8 hours from M-F, mostly in the office (sometimes from home, but not often), and our kitty is the only pet we have currently. I know that the breed typically does not handle long periods of time alone, but at the moment we cannot afford to get a second one :( - so I was wondering if there were any tips from the single sphynx owners out there that would help ease this process? At the moment, he is confined to a single room and has access to his litter, food, water, toys, cat tree, scratching post, etc. Thanks so much!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Hello amd welcome to the lair family! Happy Gotcha! Is he your adorable avatar pic?
What's his name?

We have several members with one sphynx households that do just fine

Lots of love amd attention amd play time when your home
The da bird toy is womderful for supervised play time! Just be sure to put it away after use simce many sohynx have a knack for chewing swallowing strings , yarn , etc
Be sure to kitty proof for life ! They are monkey cat dog all in one!

I am sure those owned by a single sphynx will chime in :)

Look forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales!

tgvess

Lairian
I only have 1 sphynx but she does have free roam of the house. Although she usually will go to her favorite spot to sleep. When I get home from work she greets me at the door. She seems fine to me. I play with her when I get home and she pretty much doesn't let me out of her sight for the rest of the night.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@vxsphynx welcome to sphynxlair. What's your boys name? Is he the sphynx in your avatar? What a cutie he is.

Your boy will probably sleep when you are gone. As long as you play with him when your home he'll be fine. It helps when he can sleep with you at night so he'll has a lot of cuddle time with you. When my boys were young I did put on a laserlight when I left for work. This laserlight would go off after 15 minutes of playtime.

Ana1226

Lairian
Hi ! I have one sphynx female and when I first got her I wondered the same thing . I work about 6-8 hours a day sometimes 6 days a week and she seems okay. I also keep her in her room when I'm gone so she will stay out of trouble but she has cat tree and toys . She sleeps with me every night and we have a close bond. I still wonder if she would be happier if I eventually got her a sibling but as of now I think she's happy

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! I agree you would be surprised how much they sleep when you are gone. We have 3 video cameras and I can look in on our crew and they are usually sleeping or hanging out in the cat tree in a window. We also bought a bird feeder that suctions to one of the windows. It gives them plenty of extra stimulation.
46d68046d7fa33b90bc20d3b3db7faa9.jpg

Back