Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Potty training

Kinkandwillow

Lairian
hey yall! Have any of you tried potty training your cats? I have 3 and I'm going through a ton of litter and as we all know sphynx poops aren't the most pleasant smelling
If anyone has attempted this please share your experience/any tips or tricks you have!
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 40

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
hey yall! Have any of you tried potty training your cats? I have 3 and I'm going through a ton of litter and as we all know sphynx poops aren't the most pleasant smelling
If anyone has attempted this please share your experience/any tips or tricks you have!
Thanks

We haven't trained ours...so hopefully some other members will chime in.
Just wanted to post and say that is such an adorable photo!! :) Sleeping beauties!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Agreed, beautiful nakeds.

Toilet training is a bit of a hot button topic, just warning.

And welcome.

By the way, intersand's odourlock litter is amazing and uses less than regular. And it's canadian.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It is a hot topic as @Xandria said.
It can and most of the time will cause problems, with, them,
using the house and not the toilet. We try to many our animals
more human, instead of animals. (I'm not saying you are like this)
But, it will cause more problems for you and the cats.
It has a very high failure rate.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am a litter box girl. All my cats are very good with the box. If we have an out of box situation it tells me that something is very wrong and probably need a vet visit.
I just figure litter is part of having a cat.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks
Some good info in this video and he addresses the potty training idea. :)

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Thanks
Hi,
I have the Citty Kitty toilet training system. We are on step 2. The litter pan is on the toilet seat w a tiny opening in the middle. We have been on this stage for awhile. But have been waiting on my new kitten to arrive so they can be on the same step. First u need to put your litter box right next to the toilet. I buy flushable litter from Amazon.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi,
I have the Citty Kitty toilet training system. We are on step 2. The litter pan is on the toilet seat w a tiny opening in the middle. We have been on this stage for awhile. But have been waiting on my new kitten to arrive so they can be on the same step. First u need to put your litter box right next to the toilet. I buy flushable litter from Amazon.

@Yourbroboris is that the contraption that was on Shark Tank a long time ago?

dangelofamily

Lairian
@Kinkandwillow I see this is a tough subject here, but we are currently doing well with potty training on the Litter Kwitter system. Our cats are very interested in all things bathroom related (tub, sink, toilet, toilet paper... Lol). It takes a lot of patience and an understanding that it's up to them if it works for them. If not, that's ok. I think maybe because the smell is "buried" in the water, it may work for some cats. Our girl is just starting, but our boy is on stage 3 of Litter Kwitter. He purrs and struts around when he has used the potty. :) I actually took time off from work to start both of our cats on the system so that I could be there for every potty break while they got used to it. My cats love to be up high too, so I think having the "litter box" up there interests them. If we only ever made it to the stage 3 "litter box" with flushable litter, it would still be cleaner than a traditional litter box. We attend most potty sessions or have a "babysitter" for our kitties when we are away, so it works well for us. However, it very well may not work for everyone. I'm a little new to Sphynxlair, so I'm not sure how PM works yet. If you want to PM me on Instagram, I'm @lilo_and_stitch_the_sphynxes

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Kinkandwillow I see this is a tough subject here, but we are currently doing well with potty training on the Litter Kwitter system. Our cats are very interested in all things bathroom related (tub, sink, toilet, toilet paper... Lol). It takes a lot of patience and an understanding that it's up to them if it works for them. If not, that's ok. I think maybe because the smell is "buried" in the water, it may work for some cats. Our girl is just starting, but our boy is on stage 3 of Litter Kwitter. He purrs and struts around when he has used the potty. :) I actually took time off from work to start both of our cats on the system so that I could be there for every potty break while they got used to it. My cats love to be up high too, so I think having the "litter box" up there interests them. If we only ever made it to the stage 3 "litter box" with flushable litter, it would still be cleaner than a traditional litter box. We attend most potty sessions or have a "babysitter" for our kitties when we are away, so it works well for us. However, it very well may not work for everyone. I'm a little new to Sphynxlair, so I'm not sure how PM works yet. If you want to PM me on Instagram, I'm @lilo_and_stitch_the_sphynxes

@dangelofamily that's good that this system is working out in your house.

PM here on the Lair is actually called, "Conversation", so you can start a conversation with any member. You can go to their name where their avatar is and point your mouse at their name. Then the name becomes underlined and you can click it and it takes you to their profile. There you will see where it say that you can "Start a Conversation". That's one way to do it. Then up on the top bar where you get alerts...the flag, to the left of that is an envelope icon. That's where you'll see numbers if you have a conversation/private message.

I hope I explained that right and you understand that. LOL

lapril

Lairian
Very difficult to train when you have more than 1 cat in the house. They progress at different rates. One cat might be ready to be litter box free, while the other still won't even climb on the toilet. I know that each of my cats would be able to be toilet trained if there were the sole cat in the house. I used litter kwitter.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What pet stores or where can I buy this litter!?
Give them a call to find the nearest store. :)
Intersand products are available in pet shops only. To find a store, contact us and we will refer you to the store nearest you.

Headquarters:
Le Groupe Intersand Canada Inc
Boucherville, Qc, Canada
1-877-242-SAND (7263)
450-449-7070
450-449-8192
[email protected]

Have questions or comments? Feel free to let us know by contacting us Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm or by email.

We will be pleased to get back to you as soon as possible.

Back