Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

prayers for my Sam dog ..he has TCC cancer :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
not a good day, would not eat and now marked rear leg wobble weakness. he has not had his microlactin joint supplement in over a week since I sprinkled the horse size pills on his food he won't eat :(. giving him some drs best methylb12 from his diabetic brother (helps with rear leg weakness in diabetic pups)... this poor dog is the million dollar baby. always has something going on. takes 15 pills a day now , thank goodness he is an angel and easy to hand pill. he spits out anything else I try to hide it in. he has to get his seizure pills he used to eat in creamcheese but turn his nose up to it now.

thank you for the continued postive vibes for sam... His brother, diabetic is doing pretty well with his blood glucose numbers. test feed inject daily. another 140 lb boy thank goodness is an angel too to work on

Sheldon13

Staff member
It’s nice when they are easy to pill. I use a pill gun on Ellie and it makes things easier. You might try that for Sam while he’s not being as willing to take them.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just adding my prayers and positive vibes. Some UTI's are horrible. I had a cat once that needed 3 or 4 (I can't remember exactly) courses of antibiotics to get rid of a really nasty UTI.

Yoda mom

Staff member
well, different antibiotic pills now! 56 of them! big suckers good think his 143lb self is easy to hand pill . 15 pills a day with his seizure pills , antibiotics and prilosec. such a good boy. making some improvement. slooow. his appetite still sucks, still working on that and using AD canned RX food. slow and steady wins the race. he is still a bit wobbly and a few times I was worried he was going to start having a seizure again. he was diagnosed with epileptic 3 yrs ago. so , still at it with my million dollar baby. thanks for the the thoughts and prayers. hugs n head smooches to all paws

Yoda mom

Staff member
@denise irwin , thanks . I feel like dr doolittle.. lol. always wanted to be a vet lol... just never thought I would get so much home life experience between kittles, diabetic dog (testing 3 times a day , insulin shots 2x a day, weighed food portions) and sam epileptic dog ( rottie brothers) who always has something going on, he is even allergic to benadryl and some antbiotics!

Sheldon13

Staff member
15 pills wow! And I thought the 7 meds Ellie is on was a lot. I’m glad he’s so easy to pill. Definitely takes some of the stress out of it.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My cancer kitty would not want to eat sometimes. We'd go see the oncologist and they'd draw blood and usually it was due to something. For example - high calcium, which makes them nauseous. I wouldn't want to eat either if that's how I felt. The oncologist would give something to lower the calcium and next thing you know, my cat was eating again. What I'm saying is sometimes there's a perfectly good explanation and a simple fix if they know what they're doing.

With antibiotics it's good to give a probiotic. You probably already know.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , i won't lie, I do worry about the big "C" . I have had rotties for over 35 years. lost all to bone cancer. I am not liking what I am seeing. He is epileptic, controlled with pheno for almost 4 years., knock on wood. but he is acting off. he just had recent blood work and thyroid panel test. he is at the vet constantly. he just can't catch a break. he and his brother, who is diabetic, came from a back yard breeder who has since moved to England. they are littermates only 7 years old, born xmas day. (ironically ,my heart dog got his wings the night before on xmas eve) . my other rotties never had issues till they were over 10. these guys are starting early :( most do start to have issues after age 6.

keeping all paws crossed. he just is not himself..

Yoda mom

Staff member
call back to the vet this morning :( he is not eating, wobbly (ataxia) which can side effect of antibiotic. did not give him antibiotics this morning. did get his seizure meds and apoquel., and prilosec .

he gets blood work all the time. most recent was for Thyroid panel about 8 weeks ago. came back normal low end. will be chatting with vet on Friday at his appointment. hope I can get his big 143 lb butt in the car. he just wants to sleep. will not even eat the stinky hills A/D recovery food this morning. thanks for the positive vibes.... he needs it

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you tried feeding broth? I guess if he's wobbly he's not going to want anything but maybe he would slurp some of the liquid. I'm just brainstorming now.

Yoda mom

Staff member
sigh.. Update: talked with vet (they are still drop off only). she is very concerned about the drunk like behavior. I had an appointment Friday. but she wants to see him first thing tomorrow morning. he is holding his stance wider, losing footing getting up and when he went to potty, just lost balance and put bumm on the ground. I checked , no diabetic raised BG, No ketones pancreatitis. he is epileptic for 4 yrs this Nov.

vet agreed no more antibiotics. she said a few times concerned neurological :( could even be brain tumor stuff with his medical HX. going in the morning for blood work and neurological exam at regular vet.

to be honest, if she suspects brain tumor, please don't judge, but I will not go do an mri and ultrasounds for a few thousand dollars. I will trust my vet's assessment and give him quality of life for as long as possible , doing right by him. if it is a brain thing, no meds is going to cure that.

not having a good feeling about this based on what I see :( still no apetite even with the recovery food they use for emergency care at vet . I have 2 cases. no topper, doesn't really even want that much water. I took his temperature , 101.6 so that is normal.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m so sorry Tammy. This just sucks. For what it’s worth, often times you can tell if there is a tumour with just an X-ray (much cheaper) if it’s large enough. I don’t blame you for not getting the expensive tests. With his history of epilepsy it makes me wonder if he hasn’t had a slow-growing tumour this entire time.

Back