Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Preparing to say goodbye is so painful

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you. Last night we had a call from the vet with the results of the most recent ECG. As Wilson had appeared to improve steadily over the last week(and still thankfully appears to be happy) we dared to hope that with the change in meds the arrhythmias had improved. But unfortunately it was not to be, they are actually much worse , a real body blow., and they advised us to put him back on the stall tablets which he hates taking. Not sure how much more heartache we can take. But he is still eating well and seems bright and comfortable right now so taking things day by day. xx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nudebea , big hugs n love your way.. your baby only knows your love and that is everything. we are here for you. all paws are family

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for your kind thoughts . Wilson is still with us and still seems happy.We have been told that the awful collapses he suffered a couple of weeks ago may have been accentuated by the sotolol tablets which , although they can help to control arrhythmias can also make them worse. The vets thought the dosage my have been too high and resulted in toxicity so we have reduced the dose. We are just grateful for each day now and trying not to dwell on what tomorrow, next week /month may bring xx

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Once again I cannot thank you enough for your kind words .He goes for another 24 hr ECG in two weeks , the last one showed over 30 percent of his heartbeats were ectopic, pretty bad , so we are hoping that has improved .This morning he is lively and enjoying himself.Our vets have spelled out the score, and we know we could loose him at any point, so we are trying to balance the joy of seeing him happy with reality !!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nudebea , continued hugs n positive vibes for baby Wilson! he is happy and enjoying life with the bestest of love , that's all he knows! keep us updated, all paws crossed for the next ECG.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for your continued care, it means so much to know that others understand how you feel. We have not had a good week with Wilson unfortunately , he appeared fine over the previous 2 weeks, , bouncy and happy, but last Sunday he was suddenly much quieter (Wilson is many things but never normally quiet!) He went off he food and we were very worried. We took a decision to reduce to dosage of sotalol again, as we were concerned that maybe he just cannot tolerate the drug well, base on what happened a few weeks ago when the arrythmias were off the record and the vet did say that although the medication is the best available for controlling them, it can sometimes make things worse. We did actually skip a day of medication and we were aware this was a gamble, then start him on a reduced dose.The good news right now is that yesterday evening he really improved and this morning is very active and eating well. It is an awful dilemma not really knowing if the medication is the best thing fo him, but we have been informed there are no other choices for him.He does find taking the tablets very stressful too as we cannot hide them in food or treats, he simply ignores whatever we hide them in regardless of how smelly the food is or how small the tablet pieces, so we have to use a pil popper and basically force him to take them. We are just trying to do what's best.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I really feel for you, its not a nice situation to be in. Just remember that whatever you do, it's done out of love and you're in uncharted waters. Don't beat yourself up because you've already given him several weeks longer than you thought he'd have. Wilson only knows that you love him and that's all that matters to him. Sending healing vibes to your sweet boy.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You are doing everything possible for him so please try to find peace in that. Meds and dosage can be tricky but it sounds like you know his behaviors very well and are giving him the best quality of life/activity.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nudebea , Mr Wilson is family. we are sending big hugs and love. Wilson knows he has the bestest mum love and care. He only knows love. extra head smooches from me . {=. I am using a pill popper too. I know med time can be stressful.

sharing, Macie would flip out with liquid or pill med time.
I put her in bathroom, close door. when she stands meowing at the door to get out, I gently straddle her, cross my legs so she cant scoot backwards, and use the pill popper when she meows. Pill goes right down and over in a few seconds.
I open the door and she acts like nothing happened.

Last edited:

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you so much for your advice and sharing your experience with giving the pills .My partner straddles him just like you suggested and I place my hand on the back of his head and gently press either side of his mouth to get him to open then pop in the pils crushed into a kind of yoghurt consistency treat, , loaded into the popper. I think my main fear is that we can feel his heart rate rise and hate to cause him stress. Tomorrow he goes back to the cardiologist for an overnight stay and ECG /scans etc , but that is an hours drive away and again really concerned about stress. We pop him his carrier covered with a warm fluffy blanket but still he's not happy about the car trip.At least this morning he has eaten his breakfast without me sitting and coaxing for half an hour! xxx

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hope it goes well at the cardiologist appointment and happy to hear he ate his breakfast this morning. Dear Wilson really sounds like a fighter.

Back