Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw Diet questions

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've wanted to try this, but I really need to find a more affordable way to do it. Unemployment isn't exactly conducive to feed a RAW diet...

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm nervous enough without adding raw diet to the mix.
I mean, our local grocery store just recalled Mangoes because of salmonella contamination.
I'd go even crazier if El was exposed to something like that! :Dizzy:

luvmybaldie

Lairian
Hello all,

I'm a new sphynx owner.
Would love to put Bella on a raw diet using a powder supplement. I'm uncomfortable and bit confused by the amounts needed to add.. Are there any premade powders that contain all or majority of supplements needed? I'd prefer not to grind bone etc. Which all inclusive supplement would you suggest?

BrizzyMae

Lairian
Re: Raw diet and Sphynx cats

I don't raw feed anymore because the coccidium (parasites) that are in raw poultry can give cats coccidia--which makes for stinky diarreah. Cats with a fairly good immune system can fight it off all by themselves without meds....but I am a breeder and I have tiny kits that can easily catch coccidia from mama going potty and carrying the germs back into the nest on her feet. While it's no big deal for more grown kitties, new babies can easily die from a single bout of diarreah. While I was raw feeding, I sold two litters of kittens and one of the people emailed me back and said the vet told him the kitten had coccidia....and I know if one has it they most likely all had it. So I contacted everybody and paid for the treatment for the entire two litters. And some of them went to really pricey vets! I took stool samples to my vet and he just about had a hissy fit about the raw--told me they got the coccidium from the chicken I was feeding them from a raw pet food distributor. I had to treat my entire cattery....not because the adults were sick--but because I have new babies periodically and I just can't take the chance on losing them. I was livid about having to contact all my buyers and tell them that they needed to check their kits due to a coccidia contaminated shipment of food from my distributor and I told the distributor that. They were really kind about it and refunded me the cost of every pound of chicken I had purchased from them since we didn't know which batch had given them the coccidia. I would never knowingly sell a sick kitty--and the kits weren't sick, but they had the coccidium in their stool, so I felt responsible for paying for it since people have the right to expect my kits are leaving my house in a healthy state. That being said, if I only had 3 month old and above cats, I would go back to raw in a heartbeat. I think it's the best food for them.
Suzi, what do you feed your cats then?

susi794

Staff member
Re: Raw diet and Sphynx cats

I PM'd you.....but I feed Purina One Healthy Kitten formula to my kittens.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I found a gourmet and organic pet food store. I bought some stuff for Izzy as a treat.
image.jpg

They had some raw food. Does anyone have anything to say about this brand? Is it any good?
image.jpg

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I found a gourmet and organic pet food store. I bought some stuff for Izzy as a treat.
View attachment 16239

They had some raw food. Does anyone have anything to say about this brand? Is it any good?
View attachment 16240
the Freeze food is pretty good food. My Vet carries it too. I just didnt do that yet, because it would be to expensive for me with my 3 Cats. But i have bought it as a fill in for a few days before.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
View attachment 16239

View attachment 16240
I use freeze dried raw very similar but Stella & chewy's brand. They love it, perfect nonstinky poop and easy to prepare but it is quite pricy. About $25 per cat per week.

Oops just saw it is not freeze dried the blue wilderness, sorry! I used to feed a similar food to the frozen medallions though, it was nice but still required preparation (remembering to leave it out at night and warming it up a bit before feedings) also took up some freezer space. Saw good results with it.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello all,

I'm a new sphynx owner.
Would love to put Bella on a raw diet using a powder supplement. I'm uncomfortable and bit confused by the amounts needed to add.. Are there any premade powders that contain all or majority of supplements needed? I'd prefer not to grind bone etc. Which all inclusive supplement would you suggest?
There are powders that have everything in them. You add ground meat and water to the powder and thats it. Easy, conveniant. Better in the Raw is one popular RAW diet like this.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello [USERGROUP=2]@Registered[/USERGROUP] members and raw feeders. Could you please add to this post with any and all raw diet useful information to help new raw feeders get their feet on the ground? Thanks in advance. :)

Where do I buy raw?

What's it cost approximately weekly or monthly for raw?

Can I make larger batches and store/ freeze it?

What about raw bones, what kind and how do I add them to her diet.

What brands have worked well for you?

How much should I feed an adult sphynx?

How much should I feed a sphynx kitten?

Do I need to add supplements to my raw, if so what type of supplements and where do I get those?

My cat is not taking a liking to the raw, she won't eat it, how do I entice her?

Can I produce my own raw or can I buy it pre-made, ready to go out of the box? Where do I purchase it?

Last edited:

FreyjaSphynx

Lairian
I started out on raw. Started as shredded chicken, and great for a few weeks. I soon found that my little girl just couldnt eat it anymore for whatever reason. Her stool was an absolute mess and no one could figure out why. After a few weeks I figured it out via food experiments. I tried cooking the chicken. No dice. I tried raw turkey, No Dice. Cooked Turkey, No Dice. Raw Hamburger is the only time I started to see an improvement. So I moved over to cooking the hamburger and voila. Success. Being that burger tends to be greasy however. I only fed it to them once a day. I bought Solid Gold dry food (Chicken rice and peas (Gold bag) ) And that was the winning ticket. Between the quality dry food and the cooked burger I finally had everything in order and she was getting her weight back. And my little boy was just getting fat.

At this stage in the game I have moved away from the meat nearly all together. When we do any cooking with it. I fry them up some in a pan and give it to them as a "treat". Half the time they dont even eat it all simply because I think they just prefer the dry food.

To Answer some of the questions though

Where do I buy raw? - At the grocery store or meat markets. I wouldnt buy anything "processed"

What's it cost approximately weekly or monthly for raw? - This depends on how many cats, age, and how much you will allow them to eat.

Can I make larger batches and store/ freeze it? -You can, and you really have no choice if you have any hope of keeping up with them eating. Its a long process to do it correctly and can be time consuming / inconvenient.

What about raw bones, what kind and how do I add them to her diet. - I would avoid bones all together. Buy bone in meat, and strip the meat away if you want the added nutrients. The ticket is to buy livers / hearts and grind them up instead of the bones. This is much more healthy IMO via research.

What brands have worked well for you? - None. Between cost and shelf life, it's best to do your own.

How much should I feed an adult sphynx? - As much as they want to eat. They know when they are full unlike dogs. Unless you have a fat cat who is in need of a diet haha.

How much should I feed a sphynx kitten? - See above ^.

Do I need to add supplements to my raw, if so what type of supplements and where do I get those? - No, but you can. There are plenty of vitamins between organ meat / standard meat if done correctly.

My cat is not taking a liking to the raw, she won't eat it, how do I entice her? - You dont. They know what they want. Find out what they like and what works for their digestive system.

Can I produce my own raw or can I buy it pre-made, ready to go out of the box? Where do I purchase it? - As stated above, You can buy pre made, OR make your own. It comes down to time VS money essentially. I would make enough for a week at a time, and it can be a bit of a daunting task that you will find yourself often not having time for if you are busy all the time or sometimes just simply not wanting to do it. Buying ore made is easier, but more expensive, and can be harder to deal with if it becomes "out of stock" somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreyjaSphynx

Lairian
And I would like to add, that there are several Kitten / Cat dry food options as well. I did, no joke, probably 30+ hours of food research before I settled on a dry food. Solid Gold was by far the best. The kibble is small enough for kittens and adults, and chew able, even when teething is in play. Its a natural, and holistic brand with high quality ingredients, and large protein margin. Best healthy bang for the buck by far.

Lucy

Lairian
I've had one of my cats on a raw diet for 5 years, supplemented with Wellness Core Kibbles. My other cat won't eat raw. I switched to raw hoping to improve her terrible skin, and it worked wonders! I buy mine from Raw Dogs Plus. Cats - Raw Dog Plus I get the kitten grind as it is ground finer and seems easier for her to eat. It's $3.80 for a 2lb. tube. She is almost 10, and hasn't had a a single health issue, other than an injured ear, since she has been on the raw diet. She gets about 1/3 cup, but the Wellness Core is left out all the time.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida gets the majority of her meals are homemade non ground meats. I buy raw meat at a local butcher shop. Daily she will typically eat 1 chicken wing, some beef heat, and a small portion of chicken liver. I also make sure to include some some regular table salt with iodine to replace the thyroid gland that would normally be eaten with a small rodent and some fish oil. I feed her raw egg yolk about twice a week (never feed your cat egg white). Frida eats about 8oz per day in the winter and about 6oz in the summer; she weighs 7.5lbs (this is more than average for her weight). The homemade raw diet with meaty bones that I feed costs about $40-45 per month (way cheaper than a good quality wet food). With raw feeding I never limit the amount of food my cat is eating. Your cat will not get fat on a raw diet.
The benefits of feeding whole meaty bones is that the chewing of whole bones and non ground meats helps to maintain healthy teeth and non ground meat have significantly lower chance to cause food poisoning than does ground meat. This is also the cheapest way to feed raw.
The negatives of this method are that a lot of research and consideration need to go into what exactly you are feeding, and the proportions of heart, liver meat, and bone need to be strictly adhered to in order to make sure your cat gets all the nutrients they need. Some cats will not eat every item on its own which can be a problem with this method. Also that it can be rather messy. Frida eats all her meals in a crate so that she doesn't track her meaty bones all over the house. All homemade raw is messy and time consuming to prep.

I also have started to occasionally feed a ground meat diet with supplement. This is way more convenient than the whole meaty bones. you do not need to worry about the proportions of organs and bones or how much of what your cat is actually eating. You know your cat is getting everything they need. If you have a picky cat this is the way to go. You also don't have to worry about your cat tracking their dinner all over the house.
There are two major downsides however to this feeding method. The first is that it is more expensive. Ground meats are more expensive than non ground meats. It is possible to grind the meat yourself; however, this brings me to number two. You must be careful about how clean the equipment is that is grinding the meat as the process of grinding the meat is where bacteria will be added to the meat. This is why I would go to a butcher rather than the grocery store for your meat. It will be fresher and a good butcher will be able to freshly grind your meat so bacteria doesn't have time to breed before freezing. I do also find that the supplements add significantly to the cost of the diet. Both these options costs way less than buying raw at a pet store.
When using a supplement I use "Better in the Raw" You will see some users call this BitR. I ordered it online and had it shipped to my house. I still get my ground meat from a local butcher.

When I first started feeding Frida raw at first she didn't recognize it as food. I simply put a little of her wet food on top and she got the idea pretty quickly. She was a year old when I made the switch from wet to raw. Kittens will not likely have any problems switching. Older cats who eat dry and have been doing so all their lives will have the hardest time switching. I recommend offering raw for the morning meal and to offer some wet for the evening meal. Feed some dry only if the cat will not touch the raw or the wet. Never let your cat go more than 24hours without eating, especially if he/she is overweight. If your cat will eat the raw stop feeding other options immediately as an abrupt switch to raw is better for digestion than trying to switch slowly.

Last edited:

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Where do I buy raw?
We buy boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs at the local grocery, about 5 lbs of each and I coarse grind it at home with a meat grinder we purchased when we first started the raw diets. We use Better In the Raw powder from Know Better Pet Food in Canada and have it shipped to our home.

Right now it is about $2.89/lb for thighs and a little more for the breasts. I get the Better in the Raw mix about once every 2 months in the biggest bag that is $130. Right now due to Avian flu you have to add egg yolk yourself to the mix and it is one per lb of meat. I make a 10 lb batch about every 8 days

Can I make larger batches and sore/ freeze it?
Yes, it is more expensive and time consuming when you make it but for sure doable.

The Better in the Raw has all the nutrients they needs and bones are not needed.

The Better in the Raw has been best for our girls IBD. We tried the frozen Instinct Duck and they don't like it. We have also tried duck and rabbit and they seem to highly prefer the chicken. The chicken is also a less expensive meat.

We are giving between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup twice a day, morning and night. If they seem more hungry we give more.

Our kids ate about 1/2 cup twice a day when they were kittens.

Do I need to add supplements to my raw, if so what type of supplements and where do I get those?
The Better in the Raw is the full supplement mix. Just add water, ground boneless meat, and egg yolks

My cat is not taking a liking to the raw, she won't eat it, how do I entice her?
Try sprinkling some of the current food on top. You can also Small amounts of cheese or maybe some tuna juice? We have tried both and it worked. It may also be that they don't like that particular meat and you may want to try another.

Can I produce my own raw or can I buy it pre-made, ready to go out of the box? Where do I purchase it?
You can do both, the premade we have seen is at PetSmart or PetCo and in smaller pet shops (in the US) but is small packages and more expensive overall than making your own

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I originally switched my male, Jack, to a raw diet to see if I could improve his stools. The change was almost instant. When I added my second kitty, Rosie, I started her on the raw day 1, and she's never had any issues or problems. Originally I was using ground chicken, but they just stopped eating it. So, I have switched to ground turkey, and they both eat it with no problems are are doing well. I would like to find a different protein source, but mine are picky, and other options are way too expensive. Please see below for the answers to the questions.

Where do I buy raw?

I purchase club packs of ground turkey from Costco. I buy roughly 8lbs at a time to make the food. I used Better in the Raw mix to add to the meat. This stuff is great, and really easy to use.

I am unsure of the exact cost, but to feed 2 cats, 3 times per day (about 3 oz per serving each) I think it's about 120-140 per month.

I make about 2 weeks worth of meals at a time. I have individual glass containers that I portion a single serving of food into it. I keep 2 days in the fridge, and freeze the rest. Taking out what I need to thaw as the week goes on.

The Better in the Raw mix that I use already has the bone pieces in it, so I don't add any extra.

I have only tried the Better in the Raw, and since I have success, I haven't tried any other mix. I have tried ground chicken, pork, veal and beef. The only thing that they didn't turn their little noses up at was the turkey. So I have stuck with it. On occasion, I will offer them some salmon, or chicken hearts.

I think this really depends on the metabolism of your cat. Both of mine eat 3 meals per day at about 3oz each. It's funny that they eat the same amount, but are different sizes. I think as long as the cat is a healthy body weight, you can feed as much as you need to maintain that.

A kitten should eat more than a grown adult. When mine were kittens, I would put down a big pile of food, and let them eat until full, and then I would remove the extra. I did this at 3 meals per day.

The Better in the Raw mix that I use has all the required supplements, vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy feline diet, so I don't add anything additional (except the meat of course!).

Some cats just don't like it. However, you can try to entice by adding a little something, like maybe some tuna water, or something else that has a nice strong smell.

You can make your own, but be sure to follow specific instructions to get all the nutrients that are essential. You can also use a mix like I do, and just add the meat, or there are lots of different options for purchasing raw at pet stores. I think that whatever works the best for you, and whatever your cat will eat and thrive on is the best option.

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Where do I buy raw?
From a raw pet food supplier out of Texas called Texastripe.com . They send semi's that deliver frozen pet food to specific locations in the surrounding states for pickup.

Monthly cost (with nutritional supplement powder) = $30.00

Yes, I make around 6 lbs. at a time as they come in 2 lb. chubs and put them in 8 oz. ziplock tupperware containers and freeze them.

My raw food has 10% bone already in it. You can buy supplements for raw food without bone that has added calcium. You can also add egg shells.

Have only tried Texastripe

Varies, but Piper eats between 6-8 oz. a day.

Piper ate between 6-8 oz. a day

Typically yes, I use Alnutrin for meat and bone. Know What You Feed Your Cat - Shop Online

Mix canned cat food in the raw and reduce the canned food little by little.

[/QUOTE]
No experience in making raw from scratch, other larians may jump in...

MCLetter

Lairian
I have had Cleo (4 yrs old) for about 6 months, and she had horrible gas/liquid SO STINKY poop and some vomiting until I switched her to raw. The difference has been unbelievable and we are both so happy :D:cat:.
4 paws up, highly recommended diet from us!

Where do I buy raw?

I purchase from Petropolis in Manhattan - I live in NYC and stop by on my way home from work.

My girl is 6-7lbs and not a huge eater - she eats 2 oz, twice a day max. So to feed her 4oz a day comes out to around 6lbs-7lbs a month. Petroplis sells the chubs I use for $6/lb, so I spend about $35-40 a month. Plus $20 every 4-6 months for Alnutrin. Other meats will have different costs, but so far duck is the only protein that doesn't upset Cleo's stomach, so we don't mix it up. Lamb and turkey both came right back up when we tried them :depressed:

I do not do homemade, so I'll let others weigh in on this.

I do not do homemade, so I'll let others weigh in on this.

Cleo is currently eating the Bravo Duck chubs that include organs and ground bone which she loves, and I add Alnutrin for bone-in mixes to it. Before Bravo she had the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Bites in Duck. These are an all in one frozen raw, but she didn't like these as much since you feed them frozen and kind of let them defrost while they eat. Cleo wasn't a fan and prefers the raw grinds defrosted in the fridge.

Cleo is about 7 lbs and eats 4oz a day, but some Sphynx will eat a lot more! Cleo seems to have more of a fur-cat appetite.

I've never had kittens, so will let others weigh in on this.

I buy Alnutrin from their website A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements . I buy the 6oz bag which is $20 and enough for 40lbs of food. They have a mix for bone in and no-bone recipes. I prefer Alnutrin to Better In The Raw and other brands because it doesn't have a lot of the extra things that Cleo is sensitive to (sunflower, dandelion, etc...)

Cleo loved this from the start, so I did not have to convince her (y)

Both! I buy a bone-in grind from Bravo then add a supplement, so I guess that's kind of in the middle. Many natural pet stores carry frozen, or freeze dried raw mixes and chewy.com and onlynaturalpet.com have many options. Rad Cat and Hare Today are very popular options for online ordering/delivery.

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Where do I buy raw?

At the Butcher, i have a couple of them where they make their own meats / wurst as well. So i know they do not sell me thawed out meats again.

well I buy the big bag of "Better in the Raw" Powder, that lasts me at least 3 months and it costs 60 dollars for the 3 months . Then weekly I buy about 18 dollars worth of ground meats a mixture of Beef and Turkey about 5 lbs i would say . So weekly I guess I spend about $ 23 for 2 cats to feed raw.

Yes with the better in the Raw you can , I am , i make meat once a week , about 5 lbs per week.

mine is in the mixture of "Better in the Raw" . I do feed also raw turkey necks for treats once a week, the are raw and with the full bone, my little guy only eats that and he loves to chew on that.

Better in the Raw, I also always have a bag of Stella and chew freeze dried on hand just in case of a bigger treat. I am always terrified of running out. ha

The Better in the Raw tells you about 1/3 cup till a 1/2 cup daily per cat . If they gain, take it back a bit. Mine are pretty stable with their weight, they do not go up or down.

as much as he/she can eat in 15 min they say.

supplements are already in the "Better in the Raw"

you can either mix it at first with Canned cat food or sprinkle cheese on it . Mine ate it up right away , i did not have troubles feeding Raw to mine at all.

You can make your own raw, but then you have to make sure you get the right ratio of bone/heart/meat / fat mixture ( there is a chart for that ) , also there you have to add vitamins etc.

Pre made raw you can buy at some specialty pet stores.
There is also some websites that sell raw dog or cat food .

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
I can't recall the name of the raw diet my breeder started her kittens on, but it was in a long tube with a blue logo on it. One of the key things about it was that it included supplemental nutrients.

The best person to check with is your vet! Second best is the breeder (if they have used a raw diet). Definitely make sure you talk to the vet to make sure there is enough taurine in any food you make yourself - it's typically listed on the ingredients for kitty food, but this wasn't always the case! It was found that, without taurine, cats develop heart issues

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So, my guy Dobby is just about 7 months, and recently neutered. a couple days after the neuter - he had issues vomiting, the vet gave him some anti - vomit meds, and he seemed ok. Immediately after that, he's started to have issues with his stools! He'll have maybe one mostly solid one per day, but more often than not I can hear him gurgle and squirt in the litter box. 90% of the time he's still running around and has normal behavior, but sometimes he will act noticeably different. Slightly lethargic, very cuddly, meowing, and stomach gurgling..

I thought (and it may have exacerbated things) that it was due to licking a pan clean of bacon grease. Now, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it at all. He's been eating Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken formula for Dry food, and mostly Natural Balance Chicken and Liver mixed in for wet... He eats all of what I put out 2 -3 times a day, occasionally leaving a small portion unfinished.

I feel bad, but I don't know the answer.. I'm willing to change his diet, but changing a diet can also result in loose stools for a while , right? how will I be able to tell its making a difference?

Yoda mom

Staff member
I know some have great results with nstural balance duck pea ( some kitties are Senstive to chicken)
- my kitty is Senstive to chicken and she actually does great on Fromm game bird recipe and Acana grasslands

Fwiw, my Toby took two weeks for his system to settle down after his neuter

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So, my guy Dobby is just about 7 months, and recently neutered. a couple days after the neuter - he had issues vomiting, the vet gave him some anti - vomit meds, and he seemed ok. Immediately after that, he's started to have issues with his stools! He'll have maybe one mostly solid one per day, but more often than not I can hear him gurgle and squirt in the litter box. 90% of the time he's still running around and has normal behavior, but sometimes he will act noticeably different. Slightly lethargic, very cuddly, meowing, and stomach gurgling..

I thought (and it may have exacerbated things) that it was due to licking a pan clean of bacon grease. Now, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it at all. He's been eating Natural Balance Green Pea and Chicken formula for Dry food, and mostly Natural Balance Chicken and Liver mixed in for wet... He eats all of what I put out 2 -3 times a day, occasionally leaving a small portion unfinished.

I feel bad, but I don't know the answer.. I'm willing to change his diet, but changing a diet can also result in loose stools for a while , right? how will I be able to tell its making a difference?
It's entirely possible that dobby is allergic to chicken. You could either try a different protein within the same brand, or make the switch to raw. Any time you change their food there is a transition period of about a week or more. Make sure you have pumpkin on hand! LOL and patience. So really you have to wait a week or 2 in order to determine whether or not the switch is a good one. Be aware that some cats have a little bit more of a delicate stomach, and will regularly need either pumpkin or psyllium husk powder to firm up their stools (Max needs almost a quarter teaspoon of psyllium once a day, but he has perfect stools as a result).

I hope that helps. Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I hope that they can be resolved soon.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Where do I buy raw?
I make it myself. I buy pre-ground meat from a cash and carry meat supplier to restaurants and boutique butchers. The ethics and quality of their meat is impeccable. I combine this with Better in the Raw mix.

The cost is approximately $4 per day (Canadian funds), $28 per week, $112 per month per cat. This is based on a cat eating a quarter pound (4 oz) per meal, 3 times a day.

Yes indeed! I convert 16 lbs. of ground meat into 24 lbs. of cat food. I place these into small widemouth Mason jars, each capable of holding approximately half a pound. This lasts approximately one month per cat.

I do not add any as the Better in the Raw contains the calcium necessary.

Quality butcher/meat provider, and Better in the Raw have worked great.

It's virtually impossible for a Sphynx to get fat on a raw. They will also find raw more filling, and long-lasting. Let them eat as much as they want within 15 minutes or so 3 times per day. This usually equates to anywhere from a quarter pound to a half pound per meal.

See above. The only difference is feeding them 4 times per day. In growth periods, their food intake will very much more wildly than when they are adults.

If you use Better in the Raw, no further supplements need to be added. However, their current recipe does require egg yolks (no egg whites).

You can try adding a little of their old food on top and then slowly reducing the amount added every couple of days. You can also try mixing in some FortiFlora, which is basically kitty crack. The older they are, the harder they will be to convince that raw food is a good thing for them. Most commercial produced cat food is laden with scent additives to be appealing to them.

What I do involves producing your own with meat and the add-in, Better in the Raw.

Please also see my information here:

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
Thanks! I'll be picking up some of the Duck and pea, for sure... and not feeding him anymore chicken things, i guess. Is this pumpkin specifically a pet food product? or is it just like ground up pumpkin, in a can?

Super helpful suggestions, now to implement and hope for the best!