Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw food & kibble?

ArlosMom

Lairian
Hello--sorry..I've got lots of questions and want to do what is best for my little guy who will be coming home in about 7 weeks. I am looking at doing a raw diet but still haven't decided which is best. I want something that is quick and easy, yet nutritious. I have a problem handling raw meat, so my daughter said she would do it (she's 15), but I first don't want to put that all on her and secondly want something that is a bit more simple and has the guaranteed amounts of nutrients/meat, etc.. in it. I have been looking at primal freeze dried--thinking this is the quickest..next best thing to mixing the raw myself. I did notice however that that the primal freeze dried does contain vegetables. I know they don't "need" them but is it bad in any way for them? Also, I wanted to supplement with a grain free kibble.. Is that bad? I just figured that I will be at work from 7-4 and although I will feed the cat in the morning and will also be home at 1:00 to feed another meal and my daughter is home at 2, I wanted to make sure he always has food available if needed. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!!

TorchicPyro

Lairian
I believe feeding both raw and kibble might cause problems. It'll cause indigestion probably because they digest them at different rates.

Primal frozen/Freeze Dried are great foods even with the little amounts of vegetables. It really just comes down to whether the cat does well on it and will actually eat it. Primal did sign a pledge somewhere saying their food is safe and gave a list of where the ingredients come from.

There are many raw options:
Better In The Raw
Hare Today - Alnutrin
Stella And Chewys
Nature's Variety

I'd also like to mention. There is a type food that is "raw equivalent". It's air dried (you don't add water to it like Freeze Dried). The brand is called Ziwipeak. The texture of the air dried is sort of like a very soft beef jerky. You can feed it like kibble. They also make Canned food which I believe is a "raw equivalent" too. You can feed both the air dried kibble and their Canned together.

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't feed raw, but, you can't feed dry, kibble with raw.
If you feed raw morning, noon, and evening, it should be fine.
Just make sure you feed him enough. You can't always go by the
recommendations on the packing. Sphynx, need more because of
their high metabolism.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello--sorry..I've got lots of questions and want to do what is best for my little guy who will be coming home in about 7 weeks. I am looking at doing a raw diet but still haven't decided which is best. I want something that is quick and easy, yet nutritious. I have a problem handling raw meat, so my daughter said she would do it (she's 15), but I first don't want to put that all on her and secondly want something that is a bit more simple and has the guaranteed amounts of nutrients/meat, etc.. in it. I have been looking at primal freeze dried--thinking this is the quickest..next best thing to mixing the raw myself. I did notice however that that the primal freeze dried does contain vegetables. I know they don't "need" them but is it bad in any way for them? Also, I wanted to supplement with a grain free kibble.. Is that bad? I just figured that I will be at work from 7-4 and although I will feed the cat in the morning and will also be home at 1:00 to feed another meal and my daughter is home at 2, I wanted to make sure he always has food available if needed. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!!
I am not a raw feeder, but from what I understand, you cannot feed kibble and raw simontaneously due to the way the two digest differently. I know @zoinks and @Xandria have some good knowledge on raw feeding, hopefully they will chime in. :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm on my tablet right now but will chime in when I get to my computer a little later.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there.

Definitely do not feed dry kibble within a raw food diet. There are kibble like raw products out there, and you may want to chat with your reputable pet stores about these options. Hopefully others will chime in here too, but @TorchicPyro also mentioned some too. I just feed Max four times per day (he's a little piggie) with snacks here and there.

While vegetables are not necessary, some argue it resembles the stomach contents of the prey they'd normally eat. If you're making your own from scratch, then you don't need to add vegetables, but if it's already there in premade raw food, it is likely in small amounts.

Here's part of a draft that I'm working on to help myself and others on the path of raw. I hope this and the links help further. Let us know what you decide and if you have any other questions:

ABOUT A RAW FOOD DIET

3 RAW FOOD DIET OPTIONS

Purchase pre-made commercially available raw food (freeze dried and/or frozen-fresh)
Make food with raw ingredients (Animal + Nutritional Supplements)
Make food with raw Animal (with or without bone) + Nutritional Mix In (i.e. Better in the Raw or Allnutrin)

ANIMAL PERCENTAGES

80–85% meat (muscle meat, heart, fat, skin, sinew, tendons, cartilage, and soft connective tissue)
10% edible bone
5% liver
5% organs (consider lung, kidney, pancreas...) or more meat
* 20% fat content maximum (skin is considered a fat)

NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Raw egg yolks
Bone Meal powder (for Calcium if not using real bone in recipe)
Taurine
Fish oil (but NOT cod liver oil)
Vitamin B-50
Vitamin E
Lite iodized salt (with iodine)
Psyllium husk powder (optional)
* See individual recipes from Raw Food Resources below for precise amounts
* NOW supplement products are linked to as they're available in most countries, but you can buy any brand provided the item is the same. Use links as a guide.

NUTRITIONAL MIX IN (most popular)
Better in the Raw (use meat WITHOUT bone only)
Alnutrin (use meat with or without bone based on product)

NUTRITIONAL MIX IN (other options)

TC Feline (use meat WITHOUT bone + egg yolk)
Feline Instincts (use meat WITHOUT bone + raw liver)
* Always investigate and compare ingredients with Mix Ins

MEAT NOTES
Use chicken livers (vitamin A & D) and hearts (for taurine) as opposed to beef livers.
Use chicken leg & thighs (does not need to be breasts), with skin.
Do not use pork as it upsets most cat tummies.
Chicken and turkey are good starting meats.
Meat may be ground, chunked, or even served in pieces.
Introduce new meats (i.e. beef, rabbit, lamb, camel, kangaroo, venison, etc.) after 1 month or so on chicken diet.
Introduce one new meat at a time (i.e. wait a few weeks before introducing another new meat).

FEEDING REGIMEN
Kittens -- 3-4 times per day
Adults -- 2-3 times per day
As much as they will eat in about 30 minutes of each meal which usually translates to 50-100 g per meal.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES
Add 250-500 mg of lysine to cat food twice per day to boost immune systems.

RAW FOOD RESOURCES
Sphynx Lair Raw Diet Section
Cat Nutrition
Cat Info
Feline Nutrition

ArlosMom

Lairian
Great, thank you everyone. You guys are amazing and so helpful! My local pet food store carries a few of these; primal being one of them, but I think I may try BITR and mix with organic ground turkey or chicken. That I may be able to do, easier than handling any meat "pieces" and grinding them up. I like that BITR offers a trial bag at a lower cost..try before you buy.. as I hear these little nekkid kids can be a bit picky, but better to start them young.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As you are in the USA, the Alnutrin might be cheaper for you. But definitely trying things out is a must.

I'm still working out the details for Max's raw diet. These guys can be picky!

ArlosMom

Lairian
@Xandria & @TorchicPyro I was looking at Alnutrin site and noticed it said "All raw materials in our supplements are manufactured in the USA, Europe or Japan."
I thought I read someone posting something about staying away from ingredients manufactured overseas. Any thoughts? And it looks like it is the Taurine that comes Japan and this statement kind of makes me a bit nervous:
(as posted on the alnutrin site)
"Most mammals manufacture taurine from other amino acids. However, cats are not able to do that in a sufficient amount and, therefore, must acquire enough additional taurine through their diet.

The country of origin is Japan. We we have a large supply of a pre-earthquake material and there is no need to be concerned about radioactive contamination of our taurine.
Thanks!!
Hi there.

Definitely do not feed dry kibble within a raw food diet. There are kibble like raw products out there, and you may want to chat with your reputable pet stores about these options. Hopefully others will chime in here too, but @TorchicPyro also mentioned some too. I just feed Max four times per day (he's a little piggie) with snacks here and there.

While vegetables are not necessary, some argue it resembles the stomach contents of the prey they'd normally eat. If you're making your own from scratch, then you don't need to add vegetables, but if it's already there in premade raw food, it is likely in small amounts.

Here's part of a draft that I'm working on to help myself and others on the path of raw. I hope this and the links help further. Let us know what you decide and if you have any other questions:

ABOUT A RAW FOOD DIET

3 RAW FOOD DIET OPTIONS
Purchase pre-made commercially available raw food (freeze dried and/or frozen-fresh)
Make food with raw ingredients (Animal + Nutritional Supplements)
Make food with raw Animal (with or without bone) + Nutritional Mix In (i.e. Better in the Raw or Allnutrin)

ANIMAL PERCENTAGES
80–85% meat (muscle meat, heart, fat, skin, sinew, tendons, cartilage, and soft connective tissue)
10% edible bone
5% liver
5% organs (consider lung, kidney, pancreas...) or more meat
* 20% fat content maximum (skin is considered a fat)

NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Raw egg yolks
Bone Meal powder (for Calcium if not using real bone in recipe)
Taurine
Fish oil (but NOT cod liver oil)
Vitamin B-50
Vitamin E
Lite iodized salt (with iodine)
Psyllium husk powder (optional)
* See individual recipes from Raw Food Resources below for precise amounts
* NOW supplement products are linked to as they're available in most countries, but you can buy any brand provided the item is the same. Use links as a guide.

NUTRITIONAL MIX IN (most popular)
Better in the Raw (use meat WITHOUT bone only)
Alnutrin (use meat with or without bone based on product)

NUTRITIONAL MIX IN (other options)
TC Feline (use meat WITHOUT bone + egg yolk)
Feline Instincts (use meat WITHOUT bone + raw liver)
* Always investigate and compare ingredients with Mix Ins

MEAT NOTES
Use chicken livers (vitamin A & D) and hearts (for taurine) as opposed to beef livers.
Use chicken leg & thighs (does not need to be breasts), with skin.
Do not use pork as it upsets most cat tummies.
Chicken and turkey are good starting meats.
Meat may be ground, chunked, or even served in pieces.
Introduce new meats (i.e. beef, rabbit, lamb, camel, kangaroo, venison, etc.) after 1 month or so on chicken diet.
Introduce one new meat at a time (i.e. wait a few weeks before introducing another new meat).

FEEDING REGIMEN
Kittens -- 3-4 times per day
Adults -- 2-3 times per day
As much as they will eat in about 30 minutes of each meal which usually translates to 50-100 g per meal.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES
Add 250-500 mg of lysine to cat food twice per day to boost immune systems.

RAW FOOD RESOURCES
Sphynx Lair Raw Diet Section
Cat Nutrition
Cat Info
Feline Nutrition

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've actually be very lucky.
I found a small local company near me that makes an organic raw food. they do all the leg work and then freeze it.

I know that this isn't an option for everyone but it might be worth looking into in your area.
I was like you, I didn't want to be the one who had to do the mixing.

Good luck with your search !

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria & @TorchicPyro I was looking at Alnutrin site and noticed it said "All raw materials in our supplements are manufactured in the USA, Europe or Japan."
I thought I read someone posting something about staying away from ingredients manufactured overseas. Any thoughts? And it looks like it is the Taurine that comes Japan and this statement kind of makes me a bit nervous:
(as posted on the alnutrin site)
"Most mammals manufacture taurine from other amino acids. However, cats are not able to do that in a sufficient amount and, therefore, must acquire enough additional taurine through their diet.
The country of origin is Japan. We we have a large supply of a pre-earthquake material and there is no need to be concerned about radioactive contamination of our taurine.

Thanks!!

Japan and Europe have more strict food guidelines than North America. Anything from China you want to stay away from. You really can't beat Japanese manufacturing and processing techniques -- although you can cuss them out for laziness and greed when it came to its Nuclear plants.

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Strangely Percy has come to us on a raw diet with kibble left out all day. I queried this with the breeder but she said he has had this since tiny and he has fabulous stools. I've ordered some ziwipeak airdried raw to replace the kibble as it doesn't feel right. That said he has had no issues at all with his toileting. My other cats are showing no interest in raw - I will keep trying. It's tough having separate meals - it may have to end up like that if my others won't switch because Percy is doing so well on raw and I don't want to stop that

TorchicPyro

Lairian
@TorchicPyro how is Ziwipeak?

My kitties loved it when I fed them Ziwipeak, the air dried and canned ones. Their stool stayed firm and nice. I think even their skin felt smoother/softer.
Not all cats will like it though. It is a bit different.

But now I am feeding them raw which I ordered online from Hare Today since I've gotten a nice freezer now. So now the air dried Ziwipeak are for treats that I put in a treat ball. They still love it lol!

Back