Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Raw skin - overgrooming, allergies, not sure...

anamiez

Lairian
Hi all,

it’s been a while and kitty has been doing well aside from skin issues unfortunately :( we are going to the vets now and through different solutions as it appears random. Kitty has a mix of raw and dry skin patches. We were prescribed a high concentration skin supplement now that does help with the dryness, however not with the raw skin. The raw skin is caused by overgrooming, but we are unable to pinpoint what exactly causes it as it comes and goes - they heal relatively quickly. It is concentrated around his legs, most often front but sometimes hind too. He also goes at his paws but his legs suffer from rawness.
Things we have tried:
Change in food - cutting things out etc.
Environmental enrichment and more play
Feliway

Things we haven’t tried:
Changing the litter - this is my next suspect as we’ve now discovered our fav litter appears to have changed and is more dusty

We have a vets appt. due in a couple of weeks time but we’ll bring it forward as clearly the supplement doesn’t help. He discussed hypoallergenic diet trials and finally a biopsy.

It would be really good to hear whether others have experienced anything like this! Otherwise he is a spunky young boy, active and eating well. He is 9 months now FYI.

Attachments

• 15D17F69-5E96-4EC0-B3AC-C31F699ECE22.jpeg
    15D17F69-5E96-4EC0-B3AC-C31F699ECE22.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 0A4266B1-3104-4021-A9EC-386095409BD3.jpeg
    0A4266B1-3104-4021-A9EC-386095409BD3.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 77C0A042-10DE-4E78-8C69-BCDD035EC7C8.jpeg
    77C0A042-10DE-4E78-8C69-BCDD035EC7C8.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 216

Yoda mom

Staff member
keep us updated.. a lair full of positive vibes sent

did you switch to an unscented litter?

does he sit on a cable box? just brainstorming
I discovered my boy rubs his face on the dogs nylabone jack toy! I swear they keep us on our toes

following for updates
hugs n head smooches

anamiez

Lairian
We’ve been using this since day 1, so really shouldn’t be any problems as it seems quite unproblematic but we’ve changed to the same type but different brand.
We’ll see what the vet says tomorrow as well. I can’t think of anything else really.

anamiez

Lairian
Quick update - we’ve now been prescribed oral steroids and we’ll be monitoring how he reacts to them. He doesn’t suspect it’s mites or fungal or similar since the rash appears as he licks it. He’s suspecting it’s two options - hypersensitivity/allergy to something or it’s psychological. Will keep you posted.

anamiez

Lairian
Another quick update, steroids didn’t make a difference which I guess is a silver lining in a way meaning that it’s not immune system related, however we’re still not sure what’s going on but have some guesses. We are doing a full skin biopsy on Wednesday and got on a food diet trial to rule out everything else, luckily he likes the food then again he’d eat anything... another big discovery we’ve had recently is that when he is wearing a little t-shirt, belly covered and everything he doesn’t lick even though he has full access to his front and back legs, which makes me think more and more that it’s behavioural.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@anamiez positive vibes sent for the skin biopsy on Wednesday..
sending a lair full of hugs and head smooches you get answers

following closely for updates

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi. Ive just seen a picture of your babies rash and it looks similar to one that comes and goes on my bot Wilsons belly. It started when he was around 6 months old and sometimes resolves but then returns. When its present he does lick it a lot and its hard to figure if that's the cause or effect. It only ever appears in one place and though we have tried a few things from our vet it still reappears from time to time and we still can't figure out to cause or a link to it. We do use an oatmeal based soothing bath cream which I think helps a little, its by Aveeno. We are currently leasing with a professional behaviourist (not for the rash!) and she did mention that overgrooming can sometimes be a sign of anxiety although Im not saying this is true for your boy. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

anamiez

Lairian
Hi. Ive just seen a picture of your babies rash and it looks similar to one that comes and goes on my bot Wilsons belly. It started when he was around 6 months old and sometimes resolves but then returns. When its present he does lick it a lot and its hard to figure if that's the cause or effect. It only ever appears in one place and though we have tried a few things from our vet it still reappears from time to time and we still can't figure out to cause or a link to it. We do use an oatmeal based soothing bath cream which I think helps a little, its by Aveeno. We are currently leasing with a professional behaviourist (not for the rash!) and she did mention that overgrooming can sometimes be a sign of anxiety although Im not saying this is true for your boy. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

This is very useful info, thank you. For us it was 5-7 months too. It kinda makes me think we’re looking at something behavioural too especially since he is calmer when he is in his little t-shirt. We’ll see :)

anamiez

Lairian
Hi all, skin biopsy didn’t bring back anything specific in particular, however it did indicate skin hypersensitivity (eosinophilic and mastocytic inflammation) which can be caused allergies to something either in food or environment. If anyone has any experience with this let me know x

Yoda mom

Staff member
@anamiez did the vet call it urticaria pigmentosa? as I see the inflammations you mentioned in this article.

several members have mentioned this condition
tagging @Toa and Ross @pussiette

positive vibes and head smooches sent

here is a search query that may help

Sheldon13

Staff member
Has anything in his environment changed? You mention that he likes wearing a shirt. What kind of detergent do you use?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

anamiez

Lairian
Unfortunately he has had a significant flare up and I haven’t been able to sleep at all, I’m absolutely heartbroken. He is currently on z/d, prednidale, a skin oil supplement and a foam for his skin. We have very recently had a large leak incident with mould forming so I suspect that caused the flare up and he is currently away from it in a safe environment. It now definitely looks like urticaria pigmentosa. We’ve also been prescribed Malaseb.

Attachments

• F25C95F2-2CC1-42F8-87D2-6034F80362EB.jpeg
    F25C95F2-2CC1-42F8-87D2-6034F80362EB.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 181
  • 250E1C46-EC09-4EC3-9118-56AD87940A80.jpeg
    250E1C46-EC09-4EC3-9118-56AD87940A80.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 4E5C3FEC-3AD3-475D-81C8-3C901CBBBF4D.png
    4E5C3FEC-3AD3-475D-81C8-3C901CBBBF4D.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 172

anamiez

Lairian
Has anything in his environment changed? You mention that he likes wearing a shirt. What kind of detergent do you use?

We're using Neutral for Whites and Woolite for Colours and usually do extra rinse cycle. I'll monitor him now that we're away from our house and see how he improves.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Bless his heart. That does look rather bothersome. I’m sorry you are having mold issues, that is tough.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there I just read through the post.

My girl has severe allergies and asthma and I give allergy injections on a biweekly basis. She had horrible skin and it seemed to start at around a little over a year old. I was constantly changing what I used for baths, multiple vet visits for skin irritation and infections and just felt horrible that she was miserable.

You can read her progress here Allergy testing and injections

I have also since changed to a prescription diet food specific for pets with skin sensitivities Royal Canin Ultimino

Hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Healing vibes sent to your little one

anamiez

Lairian
Hi there I just read through the post.

My girl has severe allergies and asthma and I give allergy injections on a biweekly basis. She had horrible skin and it seemed to start at around a little over a year old. I was constantly changing what I used for baths, multiple vet visits for skin irritation and infections and just felt horrible that she was miserable.

You can read her progress here Allergy testing and injections

I have also since changed to a prescription diet food specific for pets with skin sensitivities Royal Canin Ultimino

Hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Healing vibes sent to your little one

Aw, bless her! How is she now? I think I stumbled upon your thread as I was doing my nightly scour of the forums. I don't think Ultamino is available in the UK :(

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aw, bless her! How is she now? I think I stumbled upon your thread as I was doing my nightly scour of the forums. I don't think Ultamino is available in the UK :(

Since doing the allergy injections and changing her food she has been well! I haven't had to give any inhalers in over 5 months! It's been a blessing, Most vets say that the injections can take 16-24 mos to take full effect.

Back