Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Safe Christmas Tree

SparklepunkLisa

Lairian
As you all know, I have a new Sphynx kitten, Seth. Seth is, to say the least, VERY active and nosey. :) I was wondering if anyone had a sphynx kitten around the holidays, and if so, do you think an artificial tree would be ok? I worry about him chewing the cords (cuz he likes things that look like string, thread, hair, yarn...well he plays with everything). Lets just say he already has taken out 2 lamps by jumping on the lamp shade :/ oh Sethster :). Anyway, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can buy cord covers. But, you will just have to teach him to not jump in
the tree, lol. I don't ever have trouble with Izmae. But, if you leave and
he's alone, I don't know. Don't use, ribbon, string, icicles. Make sure
the cord is unplugged, if you are not using the lights and leave the house.
I wouldn't put anything breakable on it.
You might need to start out this first Christmas, with a small tree.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have 4 Sphynx and I have chosen to have alternative Christmas trees. Last years was a big branch that fell off a tree down the street and I decorated it.
Xmas.jpg
xmas1.jpg

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When both Cleo and Marcus were babies, we did not have our big tree up. The year we got Cleo, I found a 15-inch high lighted Christmas Tree that we put on the mantel. The cats did leave it alone, but we had interesting issues with presents. Cleo still tries to eat ribbon, so that gets cut off as soon as a gift comes into the house. Marcus found out last Christmas that he likes to chew gift wrapping off the gifts. So last Christmas was a battle to keep people from knowing early what they were getting!
image.jpeg

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
this is what we did,
we hang a branch its called the corkscrew from the ceiling and I put my favorite bulbs on it. I did not want them to mess with the balls ... and bought a small one thats pre lit and heavy for the window. Worked out great and we will do it again this year .

WithLVoe

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
we usually dont have an issue but my chihuahua used to steal the ornaments at the bottom of the tree and play/destroy them, so we had a genius idea of starting the ornaments a little higher so she couldnt reach..... well our cat elmo started picking them off the tree and then my dog would take them from him and destroy them LOL team work!!!

theyve gotten better, every once in awhile we will see the odd ornament in the kitchen or in the hall way but theyre pretty good thankfully!!

Back